Glendalough road

Rate this topic

Hey all 

Glendelogh road will be my first step into O gauge. I have longed to go into it and now is my chance. The layout will be based on parts of the D&B,the same with buildings. The layout will be a micro layout as well it will be used for exhibitions. The track plan will be realy simple. Just a straight line. The reason I have chosen Thi is that D&B stations were more like halts. Another reason is that I find that some layouts ar packed with track and look unrealistic. I any one has any info on liverys or even drawings please come forward as I am never 100% sure on any railway liverys. 

Stay safe everyone 

MM

• Like 5

Hey all 

Just want to say after seeing @murrayec pics of Frys models i searched to see if he made a model of the ford rail car and found this..

http://gofree.indigo.ie/~nigelo/model.htm

It looks like i have something to use for my first model that i am going to build and that is the rail car. shapeways make a model built i want to build it me self. The real thing is quite a square object so it should be a small bit hard but i think i can do it.

Stay safe 

MM

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Yes. You could probably alter the windows easily enough - did the original have flat sides or a tumblehome? Hard to tell from the model pic.

Flat sides on both of them.

Both only ran a short time, and were quite unsuitable for the line. One got so rough and mechanically wrecked that after a very short time it was only used to carry mailbags.

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Midland Man said:

@jhb171achill

Do you have any pics in your wil collection as you have pics from the 1930s in Inchicore.

MM

I'm afraid not. Senior watched one of those railcars labour past him near a rural little country village called Templeogue (!!) and I think he saw one sitting in Blessington, but he never took a pic of it or travelled in it. 

4 hours ago, Midland Man said:

That's a pity. On the bright side one of the railcar a was preserved as they brought a few up to donegal. When I am up there next time I am up I will measure it up.

There was only one of this pair which went to Donegal and it was scrapped long ago. But the eight-wheeled one, as rebuilt India Donegal (and thus not in D & B condition) still exists in the museum in Cultra, which is outside Belfast rather than in Co. Donegal.

44 minutes ago, Midland Man said:

Thanks @RichL that was a real help. I have never seen the back of Them. I have got in contact with the IRRS and I am waiting for a reply on whether they have drawing of any of the D&B. I am hoping if they have wagon drawings as they are quite rare in photos.

If you have any success I too would be interested. For such a small line, the variety of locos and stock was amazing. For railcars, don't forget the double-deck petrol electric

D&B-017.jpg

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Midland Man said:

Great pics.

could you post more please if you do not mind? As for the petrol electric I will may build it if there is a great deal of info/pics.

Ha Ha! If only! The petrol electric was probably from the same stable as the London Brighton & South Coast, Great Central Railway railcars and several others. They at least might give an idea of some of the detail.

My only concern with posting pictures here is the question of copyright. My images are largely copied from the Internet or scanned from books for my own research. I could maybe put the files on a CD or something for you?

Edited by RichL

I have no record of where I got stuff from - too laborious at the time to record such apparently unnecessary information! Some took a lot of skill and experience to get around the physical restrictions people put on copying internet images too. I have around 70-80 images altogether including a few maps and duplicates. A CD would be much easier if you PM your address I would happily post one to you.

Bad news 

The  layout will be 21mm sadly:((.

The reason I am doing it is that I have the kit to build it faster than haven to buy brand new.  Pic of my first bad attempts on 21mm track will come soon.

Stay safe 

MM

Edited by Midland Man
  • Like 2

First track plan done. Hopefully the layout will end up the way I want it.

Sorry it ain't square. Made it in a rush.

image.thumb.jpg.1d2e7159b467f09365c92099aa597c11.jpg

as you can sea there is 10 buildings. They will be a mixture o shops and private houses. Shops include

butcher

green grocer 

hardware store

2 standard every day stores.

All buildings will be a mix of 1-3 Storie buildings. No section will have a great deal of mix of Stories.

Hope you all like.

MM

Edited by Midland Man
  • Like 2

Good idea so far! I’d suggest slanting the scene across the baseboard at a bit of an angle just to vary things a little - will be more satisfying to look at and offer a variety of viewing angles. A slight curve on the scene would be better still.

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 2
  • Informative 1

12 hours ago, Midland Man said:

First track plan done. Hopefully the layout will end up the way I want it.

Sorry it ain't square. Made it in a rush.

image.thumb.jpg.1d2e7159b467f09365c92099aa597c11.jpg

as you can sea there is 10 buildings. They will be a mixture o shops and private houses. Shops include

butcher

green grocer 

hardware store

2 standard every day stores.

All buildings will be a mix of 1-3 Storie buildings. No section will have a great deal of mix of Stories.

Hope you all like.

MM

Glendalough Road looks like a fair sized village!

I would be inclined to leave out most/some of the buildings on the viewing side of the layout, otherwise it will be difficult to see the Tram!

The Mother in Law who is not very tall was disappointed with my narrow gauge layout because she is unable to see the train when it disappears from view in a cutting as it makes its way along the line.

Like Galteemore I am a fan of curved backscenes.

DSCF4047.JPG.db4bac4594dc197aacb1527f1846f729.JPG

Engine shed acts as view blocker between station area and cutting section.

IMG_2989.thumb.JPG.f8c3431c56cf259bc91fef6cdd64e17d.JPG

I didn't have enough space for a building in front of mouse hole where train is supposed to run through backscene, perhaps some day.

DSCF1799.JPG.a9e324830f6fd978120d05c92c1e712c.JPG

• Like 6

Thanks both of you you have both helped me. The middle part where the houses are will be a there smallest in height. The goal of the layout is not to see the trains but to sea the environment the trains live in. I want to make the scene look real so that the smaller houses are at the front and the bigger at the back. I want the onlooker to see a town not a model railway. The juntion road will be the main point as you can sea one street and that's all.

Hope you all like

Mm

• Like 3

Yawn 

Afternoon all.

I have been working on exams over the past week which has halted most work. While all of this I got a small bit of work done for the model and that being a shop/private house. It's still a skeleton but it's square witch is the only thing I want right now. There is good news I will be off school (proberly) tomorrow so Glendelogh road will begin to take shape hopefully in about a month. The goal is to get it 50% done in about 14 weeks so a lot of work has to be done in a short period. Bad news is that my stock is getting shorte by the minute. I have zero plaster card. 2 Bords of styrofoam. A bit a bobs from wills. I plan to get a SSM kit made so I can improve sodering for building steam engines but for rail cars it plaster card all the way. So then here is what I did today. I have other building I want to make but are in the works right at this moment.image.thumb.jpeg.b19b52b0c44f4a0d49c63bfb3ab89824.jpeg

Thsi building will be a pub because pubs are everywhere and are a classics Irish thing so.............

Hope you all like 

stay safe 

MM

• Like 4

Practice makes perfect says many people so tonight I practice led soldering joints. Came out all right and are really hard to true and take off. I think there good for a newbie like me.

image.thumb.jpeg.3a1122ccc846054a891ff19ce4f7c9e3.jpeg

I  getting some 3D printed baseboards sooner or latter. Does anyone have any tips?

stay safe

MM 

• Like 1