If There Were a Project 47...

Rate this topic

DJ Dangerous

If there were to be a Project 47 some day, what use could be made of the chassis?

When did the 47ft wagons first start service, and how many wagons are there?

Has the chassis been modified or plated over or is it the same today as when it entered service?

Are they used for anything other than container liners and the Sperry survey container?

Do they run on the same Sambre et Meuse Y33 Bogies as the 42ft flats?

Have all of the 42ft flats been withdrawn from container liner service by now for use on spoil wagons and the weedspray / Sperry train?

The 60 --------47'6" wagons were introduced in 1978 and were used exclusively for keg traffic until Irish Rail lost the Guinness/Diagio contract in 2006.

The 47'6" wagons appear to have been first used for export container traffic when the IWT liner Trains began running in 2008.

There is a thread on 3D printed CIE 42' and 47" flats on Niles RM Web Thread https://www.rmweb.co.uk/community/index.php?/topic/130341-42ft-47ft-container-flat-wagons/

It might be worth contacting Niles to see if he is agreeable to producing the wagons to order using SLA or SLS to achieve a better surface finish than achievable with the Shapeways material.

• Like 2

Thanks, @Mayner, very informative as always.

So, from a manufacturers point of view, there'd be a lot less mileage from a P47 than there was from P42, or would be from a P20?

It's a shame that they have had such limited useage through their life as they do cover quite a long period.

An awful lot of the containers on the liners today, according to YouTube videos, appear to be 45ft, so some 47ft wagons are essential for 2020 modellers.

I'll have a read of Nile's thread on RMWeb, thank you!

Nile`s wagons make up very well - one piece print complete with vac pipes and buffers. SSM bogies and side frames. A Kaydee 20 can be glued to the coupler extension on the bogie - strip need shortening a tad so in a matter of hours a wagon possible . I glued on a 45 foot box with extra weights added and job done.  Much the same for my Sperry version.     I was happy with finish as once painted all ok , all I did was concentrate on smoothing side where number transfer sits. 

Robert 

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, Robert Shrives said:

Nile`s wagons make up very well - one piece print complete with vac pipes and buffers. SSM bogies and side frames. A Kaydee 20 can be glued to the coupler extension on the bogie - strip need shortening a tad so in a matter of hours a wagon possible . I glued on a 45 foot box with extra weights added and job done.  Much the same for my Sperry version.     I was happy with finish as once painted all ok , all I did was concentrate on smoothing side where number transfer sits. 

Robert 

I got one of his 3D 42fts last year (FUD=Frosted Ultra Detail) and stuck it on Bachmann bogies so it runs really free and well. The FUD shows up the detail well. WSF didn't cut it.

• Like 2

39 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Symoba is a German supplier that I heard good things about on a German forum.

http://www.symoba-schniering.de/sym-produkte.htm

As available from DCC supplies -I not think whole range but certainly some were in stock a while ago. 

Robert 

1 hour ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Do the Bachmann Y25 bogies come with NEM pockets or do these need to be glued on?

If they need to be glued on, where did you source the NEM pockets?

For these I glued with epoxy the fishtail directly to the coupler mount bar - less stuff under end of wagon to block daylight.  But I have a bag of mounts from dapol shop a while ago and have glued these else where - MEK suitable plastic   

• Like 1

I concur. Symoba offer a short and a long NEM pocket, they provide a height gauge but most interestingly they produce a very neat kinematic mounting plate intended to be mounted to the underside of the body rather than to a bogie. Their products are also available from DCC Supplies.

Hornby supply a 10 pack of their NEM pockets (product code X6354) which I believe are available from Peters Spares.

Bachmann supply spare couplings complete with NEM pockets, they don't seem to sell the pockets separately. The product codes of those I know of are 36-027, 36030 and 36-061.  

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Do the Bachmann Y25 bogies come with NEM pockets or do these need to be glued on?

No NEM pockets. Minor surgery required. Obviously the flats are unpainted so need painting and lack the detail decoration on the RTR models.

Some plastic card used to make an extended base on which the kadee can be super glued then painted black. 

IMG_7985.thumb.jpeg.0ac6883f9e307669f587901e6e90446e.jpeg

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

21 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

IMG_7986.thumb.jpeg.1d485ec4ed3d7446cd585708595c29f4.jpeg

IMG_6095.thumb.jpg.cfd2bd8440867e56b1c57e69363ba93a.jpg

IMG_6088.thumb.jpg.43beeabb922da4f49bbd168494e00ad5.jpg

NOT quite IRM quality, but not bad for 3D (FUD). Personally I like the big round buffer variant.

20 hours ago, murphaph said:

Symoba is a German supplier that I heard good things about on a German forum.

http://www.symoba-schniering.de/sym-produkte.htm

Yes these look a great option for kadee conversions

Edited by Noel
  • Like 1

On 4/10/2020 at 12:40 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

Thanks, @Mayner, very informative as always.

So, from a manufacturers point of view, there'd be a lot less mileage from a P47 than there was from P42, or would be from a P20?

It's a shame that they have had such limited useage through their life as they do cover quite a long period.

An awful lot of the containers on the liners today, according to YouTube videos, appear to be 45ft, so some 47ft wagons are essential for 2020 modellers.

I'll have a read of Nile's thread on RMWeb, thank you!

I think there was a set of 47ft wagons converted to carry 45ft containers in the early 2000s for Norfolk line.. So the 47fts have only ever done Kegs(build to 2006), Containers(early 2000s to present) and Sperry(2012-2020)

• Like 1

20ft container flat wagon chassis might suit both 20ft container flats and also double beet wagons.  I'd certainly welcome IRM standard 20ft container flats and indeed double beets. Double Beets might fly off the shelves. Only time will tell.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Noel said:

20ft container flat wagon chassis might suit both 20ft container flats and also double beet wagons.  I'd certainly welcome IRM standard 20ft container flats and indeed double beets. Double Beets might fly off the shelves. Only time will tell.

The 20 foot chassis sits in the no brainer box really given containers and tanks marketed and beets will go well - 6 wagon packs I guess  - three sets of nos gives a nice long rake.  A Beet like lid for a false load will be fun and just up the street of the"bunker boys."   Sure to be announced soon as I have 5 on the bench for repairs to end supports. - all running on Leslies floored 20` flat

Robert

• Like 2