Westcorkrailway's workbench

Rate this topic

Westcorkrailway

If anyone was any good at woodwork. I have a poster board from Albert quay which I intended to make into a model display as absolve. But all 4 sides were knackered, only the front and back were salvageable. The choice is to either cut up the 4 sides and turn it into a picture frame, or fix it up properly. Any advice would be nice

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

If anyone was any good at woodwork. I have a poster board from Albert quay which I intended to make into a model display as absolve. But all 4 sides were knackered, only the front and back were salvageable. The choice is to either cut up the 4 sides and turn it into a picture frame, or fix it up properly. Any advice would be nice

Pictures would help…..

• Agree 1

As you can see, there has been some repairs and modifications to it already. It was used in a model show for many years displaying models. It’s clear that 2/4 sides were replaced with some sort of ply wood. The result is a lot of warped and desroyed wood. It might be of use as a frame using the base and the front (would need new glass) 33BC68AE-6697-4944-9290-566788ABC24F.thumb.jpeg.92777362d00ca6efa22b4851141160fa.jpeg

E61CE5AA-8735-45B8-B697-25A275A60094.thumb.jpeg.40e8c5a8c7197f8476537d5c1b171d96.jpeg

• Like 2

something much bigger scale for the workbench 92EE8BA8-9A73-464A-8345-4A5DC0CC6EC6.jpeg.ed58964870fe121a24b5c0ecb969d08b.jpeg

On many of the Late 1960s Railtours organised by the Munster area, a basic headboard was used. not sure what became of this one, if any one has any idea please feel free to comment. 

AD491640-1225-4EF1-B8CF-921D3742B130.jpeg.49d1fce5ad82db75b7b397cd58bdd0f6.jpeg

but I have decided to make a new one for the fun of it. i have all the necessary peices, though any advice would be nice. i just need to put them together. and while it has absolutly no reason to exist. maybe one day it might see action (well, maximum 25MPH!) it is nice that, even if never used there can be a headboard for photo opertunites and so forth.

3424EB03-FF09-4C11-80BA-0330C799BD33.thumb.jpeg.1b20d9061e340a0db9910d7798799d79.jpeg

• Like 3

Small job done yesterday when the sun was out. 

852677EE-5F48-465F-BD8F-EBE7DAC34A80.thumb.jpeg.392c41eb9ea80fb83ab37fb7bab60fc5.jpeg

The sides and back came white, not to happy with this arangment, I found a decent match rattle can and changed it around 

AA0B6253-7A00-41BE-BE0D-55DF7BD7998C.thumb.jpeg.28a78ae30ae43419d096c5e4792cb174.jpeg

the next job will be finding a way of strengthening it and weighing it down before I can attach the lamp iron bracket 

• Like 1

• 1 month later...

Yesterday yielded a successful cutting of the board I’ll use. Yeah it’s not the best bit of plywood you have ever seen but it will do the job just fine. I didn’t have a great workshop, nor are my skills at woodwork anywhere near as good as they should be. So it was off the Beal Na Blath where a better equips man and workshop was waiting 

19A4E5CA-156E-4372-A11F-9B51B3B8D5ED.thumb.jpeg.86ba7acbcd4eac327c69361f6505232e.jpeg

the plywood came from the farmyard surplus of off cuts. Once twas sanded and rounded at the edges it was perfect. The lamp bracket came from an Irish rail lamp that was thrown in the skip, recovered from said skip and kindly given to me

A33151E5-C80C-4BCE-ABB6-08BA297DAF2C.thumb.jpeg.661fbe7f92060fbf3eb3054bf7ec5400.jpeg

holes were countersunk into the peice so we could use a very strong adhesive to directly glue the headboard design onto the plywood

many thanks to Micheal Lenton for helping me out with this one. 

216DC3A7-80BD-4F25-A3D8-47F14BC2934B.jpeg

• Like 2

On 15/3/2024 at 4:29 AM, Westcorkrailway said:

On many of the Late 1960s Railtours organised by the Munster area, a basic headboard was used. not sure what became of this one, if any one has any idea please feel free to comment. 

AD491640-1225-4EF1-B8CF-921D3742B130.jpeg.49d1fce5ad82db75b7b397cd58bdd0f6.jpeg

Possibly "Webbs Mill" Mallow private siding at Quarterstown off the Mallow-Killarney line. Originally a flour mill later used for handling bitumen traffic closed 1977.

There is a Joe St Ledger of a B141 stunting bitumen tanks at the Mill in IRRS Journal 198 Feb 2019

Coach seems to be an ex-GSWR early GSR coach some of which survived into the early 70s.

Would make a nice compact shunting module possibly forthcoming IRM Fuel Oil Wagons posing as Bitumen wagons or even H Van or Bulk Grain wagons.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Mayner said:

Possibly "Webbs Mill" Mallow private siding at Quarterstown off the Mallow-Killarney line. Originally a flour mill later used for handling bitumen traffic closed 1977.

yes that is where the photo is taken. IRRS went to some more obsure places too

Posted (edited)

final product glued on through impact adhesive. I will probably give the timber one more coat of paint, and maybe some lacquer with the help of some good masking tape just to hide the timber which is slightly poking out. it was made slightly bigger then the plastic bit on purpose so it would take the blow if I dropped it. (Likely) many thanks to Tom Nolan And Michael Lenton for all the help 

image.thumb.jpeg.4e9b7eb3a89d0278378af434fe45cf40.jpeg

image.thumb.jpeg.ab8ed5f1a558a1bb8dc5015f6f8ad82f.jpeg

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Like 1

• 3 weeks later...

Over the years we have seen moguls and Jintys made into Irish livery, as was prototypical as these types worked both over in the UK and here in Ireland. However what is more overlooked in recent years is the oncoming of industrial types such as the peckett 0-4-0 which were very popular in the UK. 3 made it to the island of Ireland with 1 being owned by both the GSR and CIE in the Cork Area 

One popular class of shunter in Ireland that remained in private ownership for its working life were the Ruston 88DS. There was around 5-8 of these shunters introduced in the 1950s that could be found on 5’3 rails at Mallow, Carlow, Thurles and possibly Tuam sugar beet factory) They replaced the O&K steam shunters (now preserved at Downpatrick) built immediately the early-mid 1930s. They were replaced in the early 1970s by G class locomotives on loan from CIE. 4 of the 88Ds types from CSE (Irish sugar company) survive into preservation. In whitehead, belturbet, Inchicore and Clonakilty. 3 were preserved by the GSRPS and went painted red during this time. One even got down to Fenit. 

The livery on these is a little hard to track down but the general assumption is a mid green, red buffers and red buffer beam. There was also CSE written on the back of the cab and some had a yellow lining.

my one however will be painted into a much more basic Green and black livery that one of the mallow engines wore from the mid 1990s(?) which it still wearing, although starting to come off now! 

IMG_4066.thumb.jpeg.776b83027d38297e11a85e5fe40fbd0f.jpeg

• Like 7

1 hour ago, David Holman said:

Nice! Believe there is one due out in 7mm scale, so will be very interested to see if the wheels can be moved out to broad gauge.

Someone asked that, nope…both Hornby and Accurascale rustons would need major surgery to bring them to Irish gauge. 

Although I’m sure a run of CSE rustons wouldn’t do to badly regardless of compatibility. But that’s hard to say, I think the release of the Hornby Ruston has been slightly overlooked by Irish modellers (although to be fair it has been 4 years or something since they were announced….crazy!)

2 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Someone asked that, nope…both Hornby and Accurascale rustons would need major surgery to bring them to Irish gauge. 

Although I’m sure a run of CSE rustons wouldn’t do to badly regardless of compatibility. But that’s hard to say, I think the release of the Hornby Ruston has been slightly overlooked by Irish modellers (although to be fair it has been 4 years or something since they were announced….crazy!)

Enjoy your Hornby 88DS. It looks like a nice model. I pre-ordered one from Hattons around the beginning of 2021. Hattons then cancelled the order, saying they were unable to fulfil it. I then pre-ordered one from Hornby directly in June 2021. I cancelled that order at the beginning of this year but in the meantime I'd build the Judith Edge kit so decided I didn't really need two. Forgot to mention above, it's built to OO gauge but looking at it, there's probably enough room to move the wheels out for the Irish gauge.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Tullygrainey said:

Enjoy your Hornby 88DS. It looks like a nice model. I pre-ordered one from Hattons around the beginning of 2021. Hattons then cancelled the order, saying they were unable to fulfil it. I then pre-ordered one from Hornby directly in June 2021. I cancelled that order at the beginning of this year but in the meantime I'd build the Judith Edge kit so decided I didn't really need two. Forgot to mention above, it's built to OO gauge but looking at it, there's probably enough room to move the wheels out for the Irish gauge.

I have a 21mm gauge 88DS built from a Impetus kit about 25-30 years ago, Etched construction not dissimilar , so Judith Edge kit likely to be re-gaugable to 21mm gauge.

Livery was based on the RPSI as preserved CSE loco from memory Superstructure (Cab & Bonnet) Medium green, chassis and buffer beams black buffers red. Gold "Cómhlucht Siúicre Éireann"  on the side of the bonnet above the access panels.

There is a 1960 photo of an all green 88DS with red buffers alongside O&K steam loco 3 at Carlow. 

The 88DS appears to be all green apart from red buffers (including heads), grey head lamp housing and "Ruston" plate whitemetal letters and surround, black background.  Strangely there is no RH plate on the  cabside.

Threatening for some time to fit my 88DS with a  modern  High-Level mech, Mine has an ancient Tenshodo open frame motor which drives a pair of 1:1 brass gears which power a layshaft that drives a pair of 30:1 Gibson brass gears, whole arrangement extremely slow and noisey.

One of Barry Carse's photos shows two of these at Thurles BFS. It is during the "campaign", so there were no less than three G class there at the same time; i think G613 and G611 were among them.

The livery of one is indeterminate, as it is so filthy it may as well have been painted black, brown or pink and tartan for all anyone could see; buffers and all. Just wall-to-wall filth. The other one is plain unlined green, with black underframe, red buffers and red handrails.

There was no real standard colour for them. All of them were a green colour st one point. But the details are a bit hazy after that the best approximation is probobly, as John says unlined mid-light green body, Red buffer beam (and buffers) and if your really pushed, putting a CSE logo on either the side of the back. (Think they were on the back on at least the 165 ds in tuam) 

I’ll be going for the as preserved livery when I get around to it, nostalgia bias wins again. Thurles locomotive no.4 when it moved from mallow to halfway in the 1990s IMG_4068.jpeg.da22e455a40360781fb535c1bed7c388.jpeg

IMG_4069.jpeg.77fe4a694a230f452fb5382abea15927.jpeg

• Like 3

CSECarlowRuston17052024.thumb.jpg.b72d65cac379f0b185bcdd69bb8899b9.jpg

Carlow Ruston 1960. 

Points to note CSE Rustons were operational approx 30 Years RPSI Ruston has been in preservation for over 40 years! No standard CSE 'livery' as such each plant had its own 'style" sometimes locos at the same plant painted in a different 'style" possibly depending on maintenance staff/painters personal taste.

CSE plants were large installations challenging to model in 4mm with large marshalling yards and large processing plants, not really suitable for a lineside industry on a shunting plank, typical 17-18'x8' garage or loft conversion.

Would need several hundred opens and 50 or  so vans to model convincingly

• Like 2