Westcorkrailway's workbench

Rate this topic

Westcorkrailway

15 minutes ago, David Holman said:

Part of me thinks it is sacrilegious to abuse something as splendid as an Adam's Radial. The rest just says 'why not?'. There are plenty of Radial models and certainly not enough County Down ones. 

Go for it!

I think I’m the same on the “abuse” of the Adams radial, a beautiful loco in its own right. It might just be a repaint, it might be some plasticard, or as Mike84c suggested. Moving the boiler higher, cutting off the outside cylinder ect!

• Like 4

53 minutes ago, Georgeconna said:

I have both the Oxford (ugh) and Hornby Adams Tanks. Your track has to be perfectly level for the oxford one to enable it to get around your track without treading water on the track.

I stayed well clear of the Oxford…they look more detailed which tempted me. But they are one of the most famous “Lemon” Locomotives there is.

• Informative 1

12 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:

I stayed well clear of the Oxford…they look more detailed which tempted me. But they are one of the most famous “Lemon” Locomotives there is.

Interestingly Colin Flannigan appears to have built his first BCDR 4-4-2T out of a Ks Adams Tank Loco kit during the 1970s

Edited by Mayner
  • Like 3

Way back in the day, I built a K's Adams Radial for my first EM layout. Crude beyond belief by today's standards, at my first ever show, a visitor commented that one of my locos appeared to be on fire!!

Not quite, but it was certainly smoking from a major short circuit. Never a great runner, this didn't improve matters and am fairly sure it never turned a wheel again.

• Like 4

Adams radial arived today and I face a choice.

E6A26930-8715-4FF0-8110-233FADADC51B.thumb.jpeg.5692f9f1e755aabe5c963e53f9a8f3a8.jpeg

I don’t think I want to loose the nice finish on the southern black (see the finish on my plastic coaches for what new black would be like) and the black looks “enough” like CIE black to pass off. 

4F9C95A4-897C-4E18-95A2-26D8FDA208F8.thumb.jpeg.bfa1e0a5c92f8ca50533fc522e7c2485.jpeg

But at the same time, while the boiler and cab get a pass from me, the water tanks and the exposed Splashers giving me a slight pet peeve as “not very prototypical” again this could easily be passed as just another version that dübs made in the 1880s. but for the time being, I don’t know about it.

• Like 4

5 minutes ago, Mike 84C said:

For a really good black repaint I use Games Workshop, Citadel Chaos Black. Its in a spray can and is a really good semi gloss black.

Games Workshop is on of those war gaming shops here on big island you must have something similar up in Cork?

Plenty of those board game workshops around cork city. Handy if it came in a spray can. I might aswell try extend the water tanks and if that doesn’t  work I’ll figure something else out

• Like 1

Railway modelling isn't just all about shiney rolling stock and keeping boxes in pristine condition so the second hand value doesn't fluctuate. It about getting your hands dirty also. I'd love to be one of you guys who roll up your sleeves and get stuck in and create the model you want rather than being like me sitting here withering away in my chair waiting for the RTR version to appear.

• Like 2

Couldn't agree more about the first two sentences, but not the third. It was Henry Ford who said ' If you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right'. Of course nobody gets to be a loco scratchbuilder overnight, but start with small, simple projects like a building or a wagon and you might just surprise yourself. It doesn't have to be perfect, but making something that is yours alone is immensely satisfying.

• Like 4
  • Agree 2

1 hour ago, David Holman said:

Couldn't agree more about the first two sentences, but not the third. It was Henry Ford who said ' If you think you can, or you think you can't, you are right'. Of course nobody gets to be a loco scratchbuilder overnight, but start with small, simple projects like a building or a wagon and you might just surprise yourself. It doesn't have to be perfect, but making something that is yours alone is immensely satisfying.

A good next step would be scratch building a small peice onto an existing model…..say extending the water tank on an Adams radial…..

• Like 1

They were 4-4-2 tank engines built by the London and South Western Railway for commuter trains in the 1880s. They soon became overtaken by the need for heavier trains, but three survived beyond WW2, two on the Lyme Regis branch, where their flexible wheelbase proved ideal for its tortuous curves and one on the East Kent Light Railway. The latter eventually joined its two sisters, working until the early 1960s. Their elegant lines gave them celebrity status in latter years until they were replaced by modern 2-6-2Ts and then DMUs, before the branch closed in the mid 1960s.

Fortunately, one is preserved on the Bluebell Railway, though is no longer in working order and last I heard, not likely to be now, which is a real shame.

• Like 4

They have proved quite attractive to Irish modellers as the overall profile has much in common with many local types- the square Beyer Peacock cab and tanks help (the first batch were built by BP). A number of BCDR and other company types are possible. This wider BP likeness is not surprising of course, but nonetheless intriguing. I came across this 7 mm model recently of an MGN type, which has clear likenesses in many places to various Irish types, including early NCC 2-4-0s and 4-4-0s around the cab area especially. Photo credits to John Hobden and Mike Morant.

As @Westcorkrailwayintends, a few plasticard additions to the Adams tank will help disguise the overtly English bits! At least one modeller has pressed one into service as an SLNC ‘neverwazza’ - a halfway house between ‘Hazlewood’ and ‘Sir Henry’? Although a 4-4-2T would seem to be a good fit for SLNC needs, they only ever had one, ‘Erne’ - a 4-4-0T which was retrofitted as a 4-4-2T. Drivers were not keen as she had a tendency to go off-road - apparently she was out of balance. This may explain why they stuck with the tried and tested 0-6-4T style. 

78A33AD8-46CB-4539-8790-9A0DC43DF5B1.png

6E9C2A52-8A28-463D-B290-E70A5AC69DDD.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 5
  • WOW! 1

14 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

They have proved quite attractive to Irish modellers as the overall profile has much in common with many local types- the square Beyer Peacock cab and tanks help (the first batch were built by BP). A number of BCDR and other company types are possible. This wider BP likeness is not surprising of course, but nonetheless intriguing. I came across this 7 mm model recently of an MGN type, which has clear likenesses in many places to various Irish types, including early NCC 2-4-0s and 4-4-0s around the cab area especially. Photo credits to John Hobden and Mike Morant.

As @Westcorkrailwayintehds, a few plasticard additions to the Adams tank will help disguise the overtly English bits! At least one modeller has pressed one into service as an SLNC ‘neverwazza’ - a halfway house between ‘Hazlewood’ and ‘Sir Henry’? Although a 4-4-2T would seem to be a good fit for SLNC needs, they only ever had one, ‘Erne’ - a 4-4-0T which was retrofitted as a 4-4-2T. Drivers were not keen as she had a tendency to go off-road - apparently she was out of balance. This may explain why they stuck with the tried and tested 0-6-4T style. 

78A33AD8-46CB-4539-8790-9A0DC43DF5B1.png

6E9C2A52-8A28-463D-B290-E70A5AC69DDD.jpeg

Most of the radials were built by either Breyer peacock or Dübs, 2 loco builders that dominated the west cork scene for a long time.

I think the wheel arrangement, design and everything about it has made it a classic base for Irish prototypes. Maybe J15,GSR 800, no.4 and merlin have there english look alikes, you you can make a radial into anything with a bit of imagination 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, connollystn said:

That seems like an awful lot of hard work.

It took half an hour to paint them (2 coats) it will take about 10 minutes to put on the transfers, while it can’t be done within an hour due to waiting for paint to dry. hardest bit is finding the correct materials. It took me a while to find the paint I’m using right now for instance 

Edited by Westcorkrailway
  • Like 3

30 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Most of the radials were built by either Breyer peacock or Dübs, 2 loco builders that dominated the west cork scene for a long time.

I think the wheel arrangement, design and everything about it has made it a classic base for Irish prototypes. Maybe J15,GSR 800, no.4 and merlin have there english look alikes, you you can make a radial into anything with a bit of imagination 

Going off on a tangent C Hamilton Ellis had a theory that William Adams designed the C&L 4-4-0Ts for Robert Stephenson there is a strong family likeness between his outside cylinder 4-4-0 & 4-4-2T locos and the C&L 4-4-0T in their original condition including stovepipe chimney.

Cavan, Leitrim & Roscommon Railway (Ireland) - 4-4-0T steam locomotive Nr. 5 "Gertrude" (Robert Stephenson Locomotive Works 2616 / 1887)

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Mayner said:

Going off on a tangent C Hamilton Ellis had a theory that William Adams designed the C&L 4-4-0Ts for Robert Stephenson there is a strong family likeness between his outside cylinder 4-4-0 & 4-4-2T locos and the C&L 4-4-0T in their original condition including stovepipe chimney.

Cavan, Leitrim & Roscommon Railway (Ireland) - 4-4-0T steam locomotive Nr. 5 "Gertrude" (Robert Stephenson Locomotive Works 2616 / 1887)

I’m a bit of a novice when it comes to the C&L but is Nancy, the loco over in America and the one in cultra the same class of loco? Or are they different classes

if you are a C&L enthusiast….what a choice of locos there is. The 3 locos mentioned above, dromod, (Half) a T&D loco….shame my favourite of the lot, the C&BPR locos weren’t preserved but you can’t have em all!

• Like 1

The Cultra loco and the USA loco are of the same 4-4-0T class, with subtle distinctions. ‘Nancy’ is an 0-6-0T which actually never worked in Ireland at all in her ‘normal’ life. There was a small cluster of 3’ gauge lines in the English Midlands and she worked there until the 60s. Another survivor, ‘Scaldwell’ has been acquired by the Southwold preservation group, which aims to rebuild part of one of the few English 3’ passenger lines: https://www.southwoldrailway.co.uk/trust-projects/scaldwell-3/

Edited by Galteemore
  • Informative 1

If I wasn't modelling the Irish scene, then the Midland & Great Northern would be very tempting! Fortunately, Trevor Nunn's East Lynn is a tour de force in S scale. Indeed so many pre grouping companies either side of the water are very much worthy of attention. Smaller trains, beautiful deliveries - so much to like!

• Like 2

35 minutes ago, David Holman said:

If I wasn't modelling the Irish scene, then the Midland & Great Northern would be very tempting! Fortunately, Trevor Nunn's East Lynn is a tour de force in S scale. Indeed so many pre grouping companies either side of the water are very much worthy of attention. Smaller trains, beautiful deliveries - so much to like!

I have an addiction to small locos in stunning livery, you’ll often see my LBSCR terrier in the backdrop to my “workbench” but other members include SE&CR P class and Caledonian  Andrew Barclay. In the unlikely scenario where I didn’t use Irish locos, I’d have a layout of mixed small pre grouping UK locos 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

Know what you mean. Years ago I was captivated by the SECR D class at NRM York. Caledonian livery is quite attractive too! Trevor Nunn’s layout is something else 

F553DB49-7541-404E-ABB6-5C77D81B0498.jpeg

I see there is a model out for that loco….it will set you back about 250 euro if not more thanks to customs though……..livery is fanstastic 

Back on topic, my Lima coaches have received there lining. They will receive snails later tonight as per laminate stock but I must say I get serious Lima HO vibes with these coaches

B499A6E3-65E9-4427-8E66-03CC2592F80E.thumb.jpeg.e947ae41d5b383422fac83a35ff06296.jpeg

• Like 1