Carrick Station

Rate this topic

RobertRoche

I am starting my lockdown layout a year late.

It is a continuous run layout with a scenic side which is connected at both ends to a yard section. Both sides of the layout measure 16 feet by 2 feet and are connected by bridges at both ends with the operator working from a central well. The baseboards for the scenic section have been built using 6.5mm birch plywood and the baseboards for the yard have been reused from a previous project. The layout is being built in a hostile attic environment, pictures will follow after some more work on insulation, lighting and backscenes.

The layout will be based on the fictional station of 'Carrick' which is a mainline, double track station. The station forms the heart of the layout with small areas of countryside to both sides. The station will be reminiscent of the Waterford to Limerick line, will feature a bay platform for local services, an oil transfer siding similar to Arklow Station and either a container or permanent way yard to the front.

I have not fully decided on the track plan, particularly in the bay platform/oil siding/loco storage area (I have realised that the attached track plan does not allow for a crossover into the bay platform from the westbound line). I have provided the crossovers for running around the train in the main station. I have the option of moving one of these 'off-layout' if required - doing this would allow the station to move west slightly and either a) provide easier access to the container/permanent way yard or b) allow access to the yard from the west of the station.

I have a good amount of space at the front of the layout to represent a container yard, however this would probably lack a run around track to release a loco after driving in from the east. The station is long enough to accommodate 6 carriages and a locomotive, with the bay platform designed for a 2-car unit.

The layout will be DCC operated and will be wired for block detection which will allow for the future automated running of the layout, with trains being automatically dispatched and stabled in the yard. This will be achieved using MERG hardware and Rocrail software. Main line signalling will be minimal using Berko 2-aspect colour light signals, and I will provide shunt signals as required.

Comments on the operability of the below track plan (zoom in for more detail) are welcome and I plan to keep this updated as I make more progress.

2079512332_2021_04.19plan.thumb.png.7347a8818e7bdb488f2bce2ba1ddaa17.png

• Like 10
  • WOW! 1

Good plan Robert,you could extend the container siding and install a facing point on the left which in turn would allow a freight/permanent way locomotive run around its train.via the platforms thus avoiding blocking up the station area, it would also provide you with a loop

Something similar to the track plan of the current Longford yard. 

• Like 3

Looks good, Just a suggestion in case you needed some more space, if you had a pair of curved points crossover just coming out of the bend on RHS trains could cross over early and access the bay platform. Also a head shunt off to the right of the container sidings up as far as 'major road' might allow a loco position more wagons under a container crane unless you are using a stacker crane.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, LARNE CABIN said:

Hi Robert. When I first saw 'Carrick Station' on the Model Layouts thread, my heart raced, as I thought great, another Larne Line NCC/UTA Station, Carrickfergus! But, alas no! Plan looks great, and I am envious of such space. Will be watching progress on this. Enjoy.

Yes for a moment I wondered if it might be carrick-on-suir or carrick-on-shannon, both still active railway stations today.

• Like 1

Thank you everyone. I forgot to mention that the layout will be set in approximately 2000-2010. Some of the track arrived today.

13 hours ago, Garfield said:

Technically speaking, the container yard/per way siding would need to be protected by a set of catch points or a headshunt as it leads straight to a running line.

I'll be sure to include catch points, though I don't like the look of the Peco offering as it doesn't match what you see in Ireland. 

4 hours ago, ttc0169 said:

Good plan Robert, you could extend the container siding and install a facing point on the left which in turn would allow a freight/permanent way locomotive run around its train via the platforms thus avoiding blocking up the station area, it would also provide you with a loop

Something similar to the track plan of the current Longford yard. 

I am considering this, and good to see the example of Longford station, thanks. The yard will likely only be a single track.

3 hours ago, Noel said:

Looks good, Just a suggestion in case you needed some more space, if you had a pair of curved points crossover just coming out of the bend on RHS trains could cross over early and access the bay platform. Also a head shunt off to the right of the container sidings up as far as 'major road' might allow a loco position more wagons under a container crane unless you are using a stacker crane.

I'm still working out where would be best to place the crossover points, and placing one or both further down the line is an option. It will be a reach stacker in the yard, though placing the loco siding to the yard side of the layout may be more realistic regarding operations.

2 hours ago, LARNE CABIN said:

Hi Robert. When I first saw 'Carrick Station' on the Model Layouts thread, my heart raced, as I thought great, another Larne Line NCC/UTA Station, Carrickfergus! But, alas no! Plan looks great, and I am envious of such space. Will be watching progress on this. Enjoy.

Sorry! The inspiration is coming from the other end of the country.

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...

Hi ,

It is always interesting to see plans germinate !  I have to agree with comments about point work.

1. A facing crossover making use of the curves to avoid a  reverse curve on the right hand approach gives the modern facers to access the bay .  

2. delete or make in to a trailing crossover the central crossover.

3. Make the container /pw siding a loop with a curved turnout at left hand end - or perhaps run back into fiddle - it would allow longer trains perhaps.

4. Move engine road  to allow access to bay as well - perhaps to allow engine changes on terminating locals if PP and 121 out of traffic.

5. If 4 then a trap would be needed off oil siding - could be a little shunting lever frame released by CTC with colour lights elsewhere/

As a thought given era then having a hint of lifted track to suggest a previous larger  layout.  Certainly lots of operational fun to be had.

Robert        

• Like 1