Patricks Layout

Rate this topic

patrick

Thanks Patrick.

WOW - I've nearly fallen off my perch with delight seeing both of those iconic scenes. Pure magic. There are some amazing layouts covered on this forum, but your layout is my personal favourite - it is simply fabulous and pure class.

I love the sleeper built beet loading ramp and Fergie tractor both typical of the area the goods shed is fairly typical of small stations.

Another oft-ignored but essential feature of so many lines, especially in the south and west.

The ramp is bassed on one in a photo of Spa station from Rails Through North Kerry. It is made from coffee stirrers which I found in the break room at work. It still needs more painting and weathering to hide the fresh lumber look.

• 2 weeks later...

Patrick

First, I now know that you received that parcel OK!

You've been busy - they were only sent to the US of A on 2 February!

Also, thanks for resolving a stock control issue - I wondered WHY I had so few corrugateds in stock!

I've still got some, the rest of you who fancy copying Patrick!

Leslie (Provincial Wagons!)

PS Lovely job, by the way!

[ATTACH=CONFIG]27031[/ATTACH]

Waterford Cork goods train.

The perfect train. Oh drool, wow, yummie, memories, this iconic type of train formation dominated Irish rails for over 60 years and bridged the steam and diesel eras beautifully. What a wonderful and typical mix of loose coupled un-braked goods wagons, fronted up by a black'n'tan livery, and properly punctuated by a brake van. A proper pick up goods train, routinely seen on every branch and main line in Ireland. The operational 'play ability' of such trains on a layout, shunting, assembling trains and dropping off and collecting single wagons passing stations offers hours of endless fun, add sound and your in B&T GM shunting heaven. :) Leslie's wagons look superb. Well done once again Patrick and thanks for posting.

I am going to have to give up looking at photos of Patrick's beautiful layout for the forty days of lent.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
20170512_111406.jpg There has not been much progress on the layout in the last few months due to home renovations and a vacation in Florida. The layout has been operated very frequently though. We now have enough opens to run a decent size beet special over the line. This train is a lot of fun to operate running from Cork fiddle yard to Glen More and back swapping loads for emptys along the way.

20170512_111337.jpg

045 shunts beet wagons at Keilys Cross.

{ Thud } :tumbsup: That was me falling off the back of my chair looking at this stunning layout. Superb scenes. Lucky for me the A class was not in Black'n'Tan livery or I might have fainted. :)

{ Thud } :tumbsup: That was me falling off the back of my chair looking at this stunning layout. Superb scenes. Lucky for me the A class was not in Black'n'Tan livery or I might have fainted. :)

Indeed.

I need my smelling salts every time I see this superbly atmospheric layout. More!!!

I look the little touches like the beet loading ramp and small container gantry typical of the era and each an individual wagon load. Looks like things could get a bit hectic during the beet season crossing trains with short loops and no lay-by or headshunt to shunt a train clear of the main line or running loop typical of most secondary main lines!

A shining example of 'less is more'. Hopefully Patrick will forgive me if I say it is not state of the art, but everything is to a consistency high standard and it just all hangs together so well and the artistry produces the atmosphere that isn't always there on other layouts, no matter how good technically. Would make a very good magazine article methinks and must be a great place to watch the trains go by.