looking for a suitable GRILL for the MK1 BSGV conversion

Rate this question

Junctionmad

Question

28 answers to this question

Not sure about a suitable girl to help with the conversion but for a grill I understand some on here have used these (e.g: on SSMs Sulzer kit).

Side of CD/DVD case cover

IMG_2268.jpg

Top of CD/DVD case

IMG_2269.jpg

CD/DVD plastic case surfaces!

IMG_2277.jpg

IMG_2275.jpg

Edited by Noel

The CD case idea has been noted - marvellous!

Also, looking for a suitable girl? Aren't we all...

Do you have a budget in mind? PIMP

Also, don't be lured by unsuitable ones, they may appear to be cheaper, initially, but the long-term costs may be greater than expected.

Not my idea. User 'Barl' came up with the ingenious idea 4 years ago: http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/1485-SSM-B101-Sulzer-a-personal-review?p=22372&viewfull=1#post22372

I'm going to use it on my GSV conversions. The simplest ideas are often the best. :)

PS: The best Louvres I have seen close up were on some of the EGVs on Ballybeg. You could see through them and I think they were brass. Don't know how Gerry painted them without filling the very tiny gaps with paint?

Also, looking for a suitable girl? Aren't we all...

Do you have a budget in mind? PIMP

Also, don't be lured by unsuitable ones, they may appear to be cheaper, initially, but the long-term costs may be greater than expected.

Correct Noel, some have used them to great effect.

Also, beware the length of your Mark I for donors. Full brakes for instance are shorter than composites, corridor, buffets, half brakes etc.

Thanks , I believe I have the correct Mk1 BSK ( Hornby ) I just have to upgrade the bogies to B5 I believe

Hi Noel the ones I have had in the past are printed in such a way, that once they are glued in place they give the feel and effect of a grill/ rivet detail.

If you scroll down the same page, you should come to some S scale, HO and N gauge grills of different sizes.

Like I say they are not cheap, but they do add that little bit extra detail to a model if you want it.

I have used the rivet detail in the past, they tend to be used more by war gamer's rather than model railway enthusiasts to super detail such thinks as 2WW tanks and other such models.

Here are a couple of links to some people who have used the rivets, this first one you need to scroll half way down the page http://www.009.cd2.com/members/how_to/rivets.htm

http://sidneyroundwood.blogspot.co.uk/2010/12/rolling-into-action-completed-project.html

as much as I tried I could not find a link to someone who has used the grills, but you get the idea from what to do with the Rivets.

Hope this helps.

Edited by Colin R

Now that we've found a use for Wagon Wheel or Wonderwall CD cases, what can we do with the CDs?

(Anything to stop them playing......!)

Make them into new age garden decorations wind chimes thingie's they scary the living daylight out of the birds as well if you are a gardener.

IN my quest for suitable louvres for the BSGV, I hit on a neat way to make them from raw plastikard

grill.jpg

what I did was mount a 45 degree craft cutter ( a robust one with a circular shaft from an old craft knife set ) into my proxon pillar drill and turn the cutter so its produces " kerfs" that sit at right angles . ( the drill is not rotating )

I have the advantage of then using the X-Y table and I incremented it in 0.6mm X increments , The Y increments simply draw the knife through the material

The prototype has 32 louvres in height and this method closely resembles that number

Here it is fixed into the modified Hornby Mk1 sides ( awaiting a little tidy up here and there ) Note the funny effect ¼ from the bottom seems to be a lighting effect , in real life , I cant see it

bsgv.jpg

in fact the odd defect add to the realism as in practice the louvres suffered damage

all the red dust on the XV table is because I milled out the back of the windows so as to recess the glazing closer to the outside as the glazing on the old Hornby MK1 is very far back from the outside

B5 bogies from replica railways, some Keen systems LMS suspended corridors , some wire detail and better under frame detail ( diesel tanks etc ) are next on the list

Edited by Junctionmad

fo those that are still interested , As Im doing the conversions , I keep coming across BSGV photos

I think originally this list came from Glenderg

3172 former BR BCK 21138

3173 former BR BCK 21146

3174 former BR BSK 21143

3175 former BR BSK 21196

3177 former BR BSK 34227

3178 former BR BSK 34590 was also air brake through piped

3179 former BR BSK 34677 was also air brake through piped

3180 former BR BSK 34378 was also air brake through piped

3183 former BR BSK 34687 was also air brake through piped

3184 former BR BSK 34566

3185 former BR BSK 34093

3186 former BR BSK 34757 was also air brake through piped

3187 former BR BSK 34012 was also air brake through piped

3188 former BR BSK 34701 was also air brake through piped

3189 former BR BSK 34264 was also air brake through piped

but I can confirm that 3174 is a conversion from aa BCK and not a BSK ( there is a picture of 3173 ) in the fred dean flickr albums

note according to Doyle and Hirsh

3171 to 3176 , 6 vehicles were all converted from BCK Mk 1 stock and 3177 to 3192 were from mk1 BSK