Jump to content

Galteemore

Members
  • Posts

    5,004
  • Joined

  • Last visited

  • Days Won

    59

Everything posted by Galteemore

  1. Shouldn’t it really only be Kimberley, Mikado and Coconut Creams available ?
  2. That last pic is especially nice Ernie - lovely, well-lit view of a Jeep - especially the chassis which often gets ‘lost’ in photos taken from other angles. Good one for @KMCE!
  3. I haven’t managed a close look either! Walsworth Models do a very reasonable 7mm kit - etched nickel silver and motor, wheels etc included - for just under £110. For an extra £35 or so he’ll even build it! Might be a good way to start in 36.75mm. Easier than doing a single wheeler -only a fool would start that way! https://www.walsworthmodelservices.co.uk/product-page/sentinel-y1-3 I think the NCC Sentinel had double windows but a bit of work with a piercing saw could sort that. And if it all goes badly wrong, just build yourself an SLNC railbus trailer with the chassis!
  4. Excellent point Mr H. I have built some of Jim’s stuff and it’s very good. The recent Dapol Sentinel might also offer some scope. I know the GSR had one but also the NCC I think... Without wishing to hijack the thread, it got me thinking about one of the other English locos that had a 5’3” conversion. Could be an option to build a Mercian kit of the 4’6” wheeled Webb LNWR 2-4-2Ts to 36.75 and painted as one of those sold to the DWWR..images from Mercian and Mike Morant’s smugmug site. As one lasted in GSR service till 36 it’s tempting.
  5. Yes ... as easy to buy one of these and do it 5’3” from the start ! http://www.jimmcgeown.com/Loco Kit Pages/LMS Jinty.html
  6. Here’s the NCC one as envisaged by Darstaed that Nelson’s noted:
  7. I can guess the amount of work you have summarised here, Ken ! More inspiration - and personally - very helpful information for me right now ....
  8. Yes indeed. Heard but not seen!
  9. Very nice indeed !
  10. Something along these lines I think ...https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Tamping_machine
  11. In which case he could have a few customers. I have been trying to arrange this too. Can you please let me know how it goes? I’d be most interested! David
  12. Ernie - those are indeed the Courtaulds tank locos Wilfred and Patricia, and the photo is taken at Courtaulds factory in Carrickfergus. Belfast Telegraph archives have some similar at a slightly different angle, taken when the pair were moved to a Belfast scrapyard. The GN photos, I initially thought, may be at Maysfields, as the buildings look rather like the electric generating station there, although the tree puzzles me. I have asked my father, who was taking his own photos round these parts at that time! He thinks it’s one end of Grosvenor Road goods yard, where an SG3 and a UG class lasted for some time after the main GN fleet had gone to the flames. According to Norman Johnston’s book, the pair made it to 1968 (the UG) whilst the pictured SG3 no 37 got to 1969, although withdrawn c1965.
  13. Is this the painting in question? If it is I know that the artist - Raymond Piper - was given strict instructions by the commissioner of the artwork as to the exact composition of the train and toured Ulster in the early 50s sketching the individual vehicles and then composing the painting. I am fortunate enough to have one of the sketches (of the loco, drawn at Newry shed) on my office wall. The painting was commissioned by Sir John Harcourt, Lord Mayor of Belfast, for presentation to British Railways. Sir John had a soft spot for the old Belfast-London via Greenore route, having used it pre WW1. Sir John died c 1967 but his son is happily still with us, indeed he was the first chairman of the RPSI in 1964! The painting hung at Euston but is now in the NRM collection, York.
  14. Those are 45mm gauge I think, JHB. John Campbell is a well known builder in that scale.
  15. Tim Horn (no connection except as satisfied customer) is a top bloke who does great stuff and is very helpful. Search for Tim Horn baseboards.
  16. Yes Noel, it’s in daily use (for trains rather than lifting). Keep going down the Bann a few miles and you’ll cross over another Bann railway bridge now lying in the depths of the river at Macfin. Image from NI Greenways. D
  17. Another pioneering Irish contribution, like the eco-friendly hydro-electric Giants Causeway tram, and the Drumm system. Unfortunately the major Irish contribution to steam power was maritime rather than railway related! https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Turbinia
  18. Never thought that for one moment and in any case a forum is a good place to learn how to up my game! No need to apologise at all ....one of the occupational hazards of being a railway enthusiast is that one can find an unfortunate intensity of focus catching one rather unawares and displacing humour in the process. In a recent wagon build I was literally counting the rivets myself....
  19. It still is !
  20. In fairness I did wonder how serious a post it was.....having spent more time than I care to think of studying photographs of the class for my build of 42 — yet noticing errors on its completion- my humour antennae in this area are probably a bit blunted! The large plate patches are common across the class for some reason - probably added when the waisted smokeboxes were replaced, and the numberplates removed.
  21. Galteemore

    rpsi B134 loco

    That national anthem footage is pure gold. As you say, it’s almost Celtic Communism. All that’s missing is a smiling Dev patting a small child on the head
  22. The 3 on the loco is painted on steel plate (welded over the hole where the original GSWR cast plate was) so not really a temptation for the light fingered. A quick glance at post 1950 pics shows that the yellow numbers were often hard to make out. A photo of 33 by Colin Boocock at Rocksavage - c1956 -shows her quite shiny, and numbers clearly visible.
  23. Hope you don’t mind, Ernie but was inspired to put my F6 in similar pose!
  24. Wonderful period pieces in different ways. Lovely view of the F6 2-4-2T as well.
  25. Thanks everyone ! As you can imagine, David, your build a few years ago has provided more than a few pointers !
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use