What do you think

Rate this topic

I went to the Bangor Show on Saturday and thanks to Warbonnet and A4 Mallard injecting me with the British steam Bug I was going to buy Tornado. A bit unsure I left without buying one as I just prefer my Irish stock but after sleeping on it I changed my mind. Now the question is do I weather it or not. This one I'm trowing out there to you guys. If you decide yes she will be lightly weathered not filthy. Fran at this stage is having his second heart attack=)) but its up to you. You decide remember very lightly weathered I promise :):D

Hopefully next on my list will be Hornby's The Flying Scotsman

hHcwsb1HH10%3D

009.jpg

011.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

009.jpg

011.jpg

007.jpg

006.jpg

Edited by Anthony

I don't think I've seen a mark on her in any of the photos I've seen. Maybe just a little bit of weathering around the cylinders and connecting rods, a little bit around the chimney and safety valve, and some water splashes around the filler cap? That'd make her look like she'd been working hard on a railtour for the day...

Edited by Garfield

Seeing that she is in as preserved condition Anto I would leave her untouched.

Rich,

Yes Rich I understand but you got to remember that she is probably one of the busiest working steam locos in the UK at present. I want to portray her as she is in real life. Not filthy but in a preserved working condition.

One big let down with the model is the coal in the tender it looks nothing like coal. So that's one thing that will be addressed with real coal

Yes Rich I understand but you got to remember that she is probably one of the busiest working steam locos in the UK at present. I want to portray her as she is in real life. Not filthy but in a preserved working condition.

One big let down with the model is the coal in the tender it looks nothing like coal. So that's one thing that will be addressed with real coal

Don't be too hard on her then Anto, agree about the coal it's the one area that let's down a lot of steam loco models.

Rich,

Have to agree Anto. A very light weathering would set this loco off perfectly. It just would'nt be right to have a spotless loco on a detailed layout like yours, it just seems out of place.

Ye, go for it Anto, even if she's straight out of the wash bay she'd have some shadowing or some watermarks or dust or something. Those uniform block colours just would'nt look like that on the real thing. I guess the trick is to make it look more realistic, without actually making her look like she's been weathered, if ye know what I mean.

If you look closely you can see a lot of dirt on the top of the boiler and the cab roof its a pity Bachmann never made the rain cover from the cab roof to the tender

[ATTACH=CONFIG]309[/ATTACH]

Ye Anto, looking at the model, the front and the cab roof are a high gloss black finish. Where as, in that pic of the real thing, the top of the boiler at the front is grey, as is the cab roof...