What do you want from 3D printing?

Rate this topic

Westcorkrailway

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Yer man Owen is very good. He is currently working on a full macmine junction station kit, Chetwynd viaduct kit, and even some GSR 6 wheel/Short bogey design….

Thet are but the 3D printed lines still are present so until that improves I am not willing to do the work to bring them up to Scratch. Was will impressed though with his items on show.

2 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Thet are but the 3D printed lines still are present so until that improves I am not willing to do the work to bring them up to Scratch. Was will impressed though with his items on show.

still not ideal yet, but getting there

you could make an excellent chetwynd viaduct from scratch building but the time involved would be astronomical. 3D printing it offers value for time for these very specific cases

i think I’ll be picking up that viaduct and make a small (yes small) single line diorama depending on how well the print turns out 

I suggested before printing could be used  for water columns or loco chimneys particularly the caps or maybe wagon underframes, older wagons Robert!,  there are still water columns standing at Dunmanway. So there could be more. How about platform awning brackets? Pain to make but they add a really nice touch to platforms , goods sheds etc;

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

As above, though I guess any complex, solid shape could be useful, especially if several of them are needed for a project. So, for locomotives and rolling stock, things like buffers, chimneys, domes, safety valves etc. For buildings and scenics chimney pots, doors, lamps etc

A lot of the above have long been available as castings of one sort or another, but these can be hard to get hold of, especially post covid, while suspect that 3D prints are lighter and therefore cheaper when it comes to postage.

• Agree 1

I have used 3D printing for resin printing and lost wax casting in brass.

I used 3D printed models as patterns for bass castings before realising my supplier can produce a pattern and mould from a 3D file https://morrisandwatson.com/casting/about-casting

The big question is whether the designer goes down (1) the Shapeways or i Materialise route to sell their products, (2) use a commercial bureau in the Ireland or the UK to print their models, (3) invest up to $100k in setting up their own print shop or (4) release their designs on a commercial (royalty basis) or (5) open source for people to print their own models.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1