CB&PR 2-4-2 locomotive

Rate this topic

Westcorkrailway

I was at the maritime meruseum in passage west this afternoon and they are holding a railway exhibition 

11FF68A1-80AF-49A6-83AA-C1770AC5D611.thumb.jpeg.fdbaa7634a17506c8895501aa789b111.jpeg

I spotted this locomotive to one side. A replica of the 2-4-2 locomotives that this line used to use 

5E44FE03-BF6E-47BE-9C57-C9096457D40D.thumb.jpeg.807b61bf6b0ec96d47c2d771e33ced3b.jpeg

629D6A03-9BC1-4B1C-917E-D6D12A9AD7A0.thumb.jpeg.02d3271c0c0201c413afe9e4e7cb0ff2.jpeg623AF999-1EAD-4A3D-BB00-0CB7281E9A4E.thumb.jpeg.a2e93b413a4d44c4c02aaacb2c71f69b.jpegED7A4534-A41F-4A9A-B137-5F0DCB8BCA05.thumb.jpeg.2cd768a1e3b447c366152c9ccc2accb4.jpeg

it had a rather tragic story behind it, as seen below 

“In 2006 a young man & railway enthusiast, John Davies, of The
Green, Passage West, commissioned this model of a CB & PR engine
& carriages from an Australian model maker, unfortunately, the
completed model was delivered to John's home a few days after he
had sadly died.
Passage West Maritime Museum wish to sincerely thank Mr Terry
Davies, John's Dad, and John's sister Kelly who have kindly loaned
this model
to the Museum for the exhibition.”

it said to have cost over 4 grand in 2006 money. 

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1
  • WOW! 3

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
On 16/8/2022 at 10:16 AM, Horsetan said:

The thing that strikes me about the CB&P engines is the triangular, almost minimal, buffer beam...

Easier access to cylinders I guess. Less rural than the C&L or T&D, no need for a hulking great buffer beam and cowcatcher. Only one ungated crossing at Passage.

Edited by minister_for_hardship
  • Like 2

Rather unusually for an Irish railway, it was more of a passenger than a freight line, and snappy running was pretty key to the operation. The double track section - which testifies to the traffic density either envisaged or achieved - was AFAIK unique in Irish NG (there were a few sections of parallel single lines eg at Ballinamore). The CBP locos which ended up in Leitrim gave a good account of themselves and lasted to the end in 59, although that long wheelbase barred them from the Drumshanbo line. Elegant locos in their way, although the NCC tanks in full maroon livery take some beating. 

Edited by Galteemore

Yes, it was indeed the only double track line on the Irish narrow gauge; fully so, signalled as such, etc., despite being singled shortly after the GSR took over. It was also the fastest, and the only narrow gauge commuter railway; three "unique" qualities on this short, and short-lived line. Perfect site for a CLUAS these days.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Yes, it was indeed the only double track line on the Irish narrow gauge; fully so, signalled as such, etc., despite being singled shortly after the GSR took over. It was also the fastest, and the only narrow gauge commuter railway; three "unique" qualities on this short, and short-lived line. Perfect site for a CLUAS these days.

If the Dublin underground is anything to go by, me…a 19 year old may never see the project progress much further. Then multi million feasibility studies!

although I believe the plans currently for the Cluas re-use Blackrock station ….but not much else of the old CBPR. It’s a shame Carigoline is outside the city boundary otherwise the Cluas would go there along that (reasonably) well preserved trackbed 

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Westcorkrailway said:

If the Dublin underground is anything to go by, me…a 19 year old may never see the project progress much further. Then multi million feasibility studies!

although I believe the plans currently for the Cluas re-use Blackrock station ….but not much else of the old CBPR. It’s a shame Carigoline is outside the city boundary otherwise the Cluas would go there along that (reasonably) well preserved trackbed 

I doubt that my five month old gransdon will see it completed......... unless the NTA and Fine Gael cease to be..............