Connemara's Lost Railway

Rate this topic

declan64

Growing up in Galway near the old Corrib Viaduct, I've lamented the demise of the Galway-Clifden Railway for as long as I can remember. Having filmed large chunks of the route over the last few years I'm lamenting it even more now. Thankfully the team at Maam Cross are doing their bit to reclaim some small portion of what has been lost.

• Like 7
  • Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

Absolutely Patrick, it passed through some amazing terrain (very slowly apparently) but was built in an era when day tripping to Connemara was probably the least concern of most Irish people hence it's sad demise.

Edited by declan64

If I may be forgiven an unashamed plug.......... "Rails Through Connemara" by self, still available. We did the book launch last year at Maam Cross - in the middle of Connemara, the pandemic, and a washout rainy day - outdoors!

Ping me privately for signed copies p;osted within Irealnd or the UK.

An amazing journey, yes - though built with government assistance as the MGWR wouldn't touch the project - they knew the inevitable, which was that (sadly) like so many other similar routes, it never came close to covering operational costs in a single year of its 40-year life. West of Maam Cross, especially, some of the most amazing railway wscenery to be had anywhere in Ireland.

But as emigrants from the west often said in post-famine times, "you can't eat scenery"!

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

Thanks for the link, Declan. I lead  five Great Railway Journeys tours round Connmemara, pointing out just how much of the line was still there.

If any of you boys need an excuse to visit, take the Missus to Moycullen (Connemara Crystal is on the station site) for a bit of cut glass then on to Jim's little, soon I hope BIG, line.

• Agree 1

19 minutes ago, leslie10646 said:

Thanks for the link, Declan. I lead  five Great Railway Journeys tours round Connmemara, pointing out just how much of the line was still there.

If any of you boys need an excuse to visit, take the Missus to Moycullen (Connemara Crystal is on the station site) for a bit of cut glass then on to Jim's little, soon I hope BIG, line.

If I’m not mistaken, much of the land was not worth re-claiming hence why it’s survived the years so well. 

35 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

Yes, most of the SLNC that’s gone is simply down to road realignment. Some remains very intact  and traceable indeed ! Then and now at Abohill….

901D0354-4A9F-48B5-929A-CCE0B1BE8B52.jpeg

FD82E762-3978-4C96-8F36-301BC5E1D3A2.jpeg

Take a vintage half-cab bus down that road, and it'll be like travelling in railbus 2A!

Any trace of the foundations of that platform to place exactly where it was?

• Like 1

30 minutes ago, jhb171achill said:

Take a vintage half-cab bus down that road, and it'll be like travelling in railbus 2A!

Presumably there must be something under that sign. As that seems to be the crossroads that was a crossing in the above picture

8 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

Not sure JHB. I suspect the foundations would have been scant, and this was simply a knocked up sleeper affair, as other photos suggest (one photo in fact - pics here are rare). I suspect that Fermanagh CC swept all away when the resurfacing happened. The old road that crossed the line here has also been widened.

• 2 months later...

Latest update following a visit to the site in August. My thanks to James Deegan for hosting us on the day and filling us in on some of the plans going forward.
A lot happening at the moment which is great to see but no more than our friends in Ukraine they need ongoing support to keep things moving.

• Like 6

• 11 months later...