Where to get provincial wagon kits?

Rate this question

Majesitc_Trains

Question

I have seen quite a few posts with CIE wagons from provincial wagons, and they look pretty good. I have 1950s era CIE locomotives (an A and 372) but I do not have any rolling stock for these, and was wondering where to get these wagons from? The website appears to be dead, is the company still operating elsewhere?

Thanks.

• Like 1

According to Michael Hamilton, up to 5 specials a day could leave Collooney, each train of 20-24 wagons. On occasions the trains were half loaded the night before to speed up early departure. Each train had an empty wagon known as ‘the ambulance’ to accommodate animals injured en route. Sprinks comments that most trains were handed over to the GN in the afternoon, but also in early evening. At one time (prob pre partition) the GN had overnight cattle paths from Enniskillen to Dundalk, for the Greenore boat in all likelihood.

Edited by Galteemore
  • Informative 1

9 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

According to Michael Hamilton, up to 5 specials a day could leave Collooney, each train of 20-24 wagons. On occasions the trains were half loaded the night before to speed up early departure. Each train had an empty wagon known as ‘the ambulance’ to accommodate animals injured en route. Sprinks comments that most trains were handed over to the GN in the afternoon, but also in early evening. At one time (prob pre partition) the GN had overnight cattle paths from Enniskillen to Dundalk, for the Greenore boat in all likelihood.

Yes, that ties in with what jhbSenior spoke of - seeing the shunting in Enniskillen in "early evening".

Also, there's no way they'd have allowed cattle trains to get in the way of the evening commuter trains along the Lagan Valley. So anything heading to maysfields was probably very late evening, which for over half the year is in the dark. Hence less (or no!) photos.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

14 hours ago, murphaph said:

When was the meat factory on the Grand Canal in Dublin closed? That would have probably been rail served as well one would imagine. If I'm not mistaken it was built on the former DSER carriage works site.

The International Meat Packers? plant was on the site of the DSER Grand Canal Street Works and was demolished and re-developed for apartments during the early 2000s.

The plant was rail served up to the mid 1970s with a very short loop off the Boston Yard, remember seeing a couple of cattle wagons in the loop at some stage during the late 60s/early 70s

The cattle pens only appeared long enough to unload 1-2 wagons at a time, IMP also had a Leixlip plant that received cattle from Hazlehatch and Leixlip stations during the same era. The Leixlip plant was demolished and re-developed as a Hewlett-Packard computer plant during the 1990s, the Irish meat industry building modern processing plants nearer the "growing areas".

I expect that cattle to the meat plants would have arrived as individual or small cuts of wagons in scheduled goods trains rather than a train of cattle wagons like Fair or Shipping Specials that transported cattle 'on the hoof" to the ports.

The cover photo in Barry Carse's Irish Metro-Vick Diesels  features a 1973-4 colour photo of a very clean A20r dropping a cut of 6 cattle wagons off the 22:55 Cork-Kingsbridge goods in the cattle bank siding at Hazlehatch.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

It was converted into a private house by a local builder for one of his family.

The massive goods shed had a mezannine floor added in the reconstruction.

It was visited by Rob Bell during his recent Irish railway documentary. He was invited inside, very impressive house now!

• Like 1

12 hours ago, Mayner said:

The International Meat Packers? plant was on the site of the DSER Grand Canal Street Works and was demolished and re-developed for apartments during the early 2000s.

The plant was rail served up to the mid 1970s with a very short loop off the Boston Yard, remember seeing a couple of cattle wagons in the loop at some stage during the late 60s/early 70s

The cattle pens only appeared long enough to unload 1-2 wagons at a time, IMP also had a Leixlip plant that received cattle from Hazlehatch and Leixlip stations during the same era. The Leixlip plant was demolished and re-developed as a Hewlett-Packard computer plant during the 1990s, the Irish meat industry building modern processing plants nearer the "growing areas".

I expect that cattle to the meat plants would have arrived as individual or small cuts of wagons in scheduled goods trains rather than a train of cattle wagons like Fair or Shipping Specials that transported cattle 'on the hoof" to the ports.

The cover photo in Barry Carse's Irish Metro-Vick Diesels  features a 1973-4 colour photo of a very clean A20r dropping a cut of 6 cattle wagons off the 22:55 Cork-Kingsbridge goods in the cattle bank siding at Hazlehatch.

And another of Barry’s photos in “Rails Through the West” shows cattle being loaded from the up PASSENGER platform in Ennis about the same time.

Cattle traffic finished finally in 1975. By 1976 most of the remaining cattle wagon fleet, some not even 20 years old, were in Cork goods yard awaiting scrapping.

• Like 2
  • Informative 1

Just to prove that I am still in operation, here is a wagon which is available from me and just moved into third place (ahead of the UTA Spoil Wagons (212 sold) but behind the the double beet (232 sold) and the Top of the Pops "Bulleid corrugated open" (370 plus).
This rake of CIE cattle wagons was the last which Anthony built for me - hauled by J15 131 on a very unscenic curve into Richhill 1041527307_IMG_3933(2).thumb.jpg.987feea8ca6e9f033fa9651ae5dc0f4f.jpg

And taking the Dublin line at Portadown Jct past a train in the Up Goods Loop, with a busy yard behind (full of PW wagons of course!).1785653987_IMG_3961(1).thumb.jpg.bbce30dc359e52a559daa851ad55dba0.jpg

To see them on the move, take a look at the 00 Works J15 thread.

The cattle wagons are in stock and sold well at Raheny (thanks to the good folk who bought them!).

• Like 14

If I could upload pics from home - sickly PC  I would happily show a good selection with double beets, UTA spoil wagons. 20 foot flats for containers, oil tanks and coal boxes.  Easy to make and detail the coupling mount with NEM pocket spot on for height suitable for Kaydee no 18 or 19 or a range of TLC with spade ends. 

Great value for money and great fun to put together - well mainly a few big bits and a selection of finer resin parts for brake gear. 

As a fully satisfied customer I can fully recommend  Leslie`s range.

Robert   

• Agree 5

At last I have made a little progress with my Wordpress Site.

Nothing to get too excited about - FOUR pages with two pictures of wagons, but at least it now answers to -

provincialwagons.com

and the contacts bit gives my e-mail address.

More pages up next week after I've finished dog-sitting!

• Like 3

Hi John, sorry I didn't see this.

I have no idea, but one certainly should have being the reason that No.4 was still around when we had money to buy her!

Galteemore might now?

Back to my website for a moment - imagine my amazement when I put in "provincial(space)wagons and got my site at the top of the list - maybe Wordpress is better than I thought!!!!

• Like 1

A few kicked around York Road for years IIRC. At the time they were all scrapped the RPSI was rightfully focused on getting enough steam locos and coaches in service to run trains. Wagon preservation in Ireland has been very hit or miss - most glaring omission being a cattle wagon. The spoil wagons wouldn’t really earn their keep as ballast wagons on an heritage line either, as they were designed for the specific task of dumping stones beside the railway and not on it! 

• Like 1