201 in Rosslare

Rate this question

201bhoy

Question

15 answers to this question

Just wondering if anyone knows if the 201s ever went as far as Rosslare Europort? I've never seen a photo of them there but I know they worked freight at least as far as Arklow. Photos would be great (If they ever did reach Rosslare!)

As far as I can remember Vincent before some of the 201's were introduced to traffic-a nationwide test was done with loco 141 hauling a dead 201 around the network to test the impact of the 112 ton 201 loco on the jointed track,the 201 had measuring equipment fitted to the bogies,

I'd say possibly July/August 1994 was when those tests took place-which would have taken in Rosslare and the South Wexford line,Maybe Enniscorthyman or Red Rich would have more details,

As Eiretrains and Killucan2 have quite rightly said loco 227 worked the two axle cement from Waterford-Rosslare Strand-Dublin,

They also worked the Ammonia to Arklow but were banned south of there-unless in an emergency to rescue a failed passenger train and then only at a max speed of 25mph.

As far as I can remember Vincent before some of the 201's were introduced to traffic-a nationwide test was done with loco 141 hauling a dead 201 around the network to test the impact of the 112 ton 201 loco on the jointed track,the 201 had measuring equipment fitted to the bogies,

I'd say possibly July/August 1994 was when those tests took place-which would have taken in Rosslare and the South Wexford line,Maybe Enniscorthyman or Red Rich would have more details,

As Eiretrains and Killucan2 have quite rightly said loco 227 worked the two axle cement from Waterford-Rosslare Strand-Dublin,

They also worked the Ammonia to Arklow but were banned south of there-unless in an emergency to rescue a failed passenger train and then only at a max speed of 25mph.

Great, thanks very much!

Just wondering if anyone knows if the 201s ever went as far as Rosslare Europort? I've never seen a photo of them there but I know they worked freight at least as far as Arklow. Photos would be great (If they ever did reach Rosslare!)

201s did work as far as Shelton on Fert and Ammonia trains and as far as Bray on push pulls. They were not permitted beyond Bray on passenger trains. However I recall on one occasion in 1998 seeing 234 beyond Greystones working from Cork to Kilcoole on an Irish Open Golf special which was being held in Druids Glen. It continued on empty to Wicklow to run round before returning to Connolly. That evening the special returned empty to Wicklow to run round and called at Kilcoole to pick up the golf fans, only this time it was 077 in charge. ( did 234 manage to slip unnoticed beyond Bray that morning ?)

On that same day two other 201s passed through Greystones - 220 on the empty Ammonia from Shelton and 226 on the laden Ammonia from Marino before returning with a Fert from Shelton.

Other than that cement train from the Waterford, I have no knowledge of them beyond Shelton Abbey.

Edited by ak425

It's strange to think that I have never seen a 201 on

the Rosslare line.The route only got CWR around 2002 and

even at that,renewal of bridges have been slow enough.

The 071s were more than enough to handle the normal

6 piece mk2ds until the plastics came along in 2004.

The weight was always a problem for the 201s and were

never going to be regular performers on this line.

I would have loved to have got a shot of 227 on that famous

cement movement on Enniscorthy viaduct.

Got a 201 question for anyone in the know. I was looking at the connections on the front of the loco, there is what appears to be an electrical socket with a flip cover like comando 3ph socket. I'm guessing this is the connection for multiple working (I know IE do not allow it for the 201s) as the two HEP sockets are under the buffers?

Anyway looking back through old photos of the 201s, this socket used to be low down on the bodywork just before the underframe skirt started. Then from about 1997 modification work seems to have been done to move it just under the main headlights offset by the brake hose. All 201s seem to have had this modification except 201 and 204 from what I can see.

Anyone know why and why 201 and 204 were left out? It's nothing to do with push pull 201s as 202-3,5-34 all had it done.

Got a 201 question for anyone in the know. I was looking at the connections on the front of the loco, there is what appears to be an electrical socket with a flip cover like comando 3ph socket. I'm guessing this is the connection for multiple working (I know IE do not allow it for the 201s) as the two HEP sockets are under the buffers?

Anyway looking back through old photos of the 201s, this socket used to be low down on the bodywork just before the underframe skirt started. Then from about 1997 modification work seems to have been done to move it just under the main headlights offset by the brake hose. All 201s seem to have had this modification except 201 and 204 from what I can see.

Anyone know why and why 201 and 204 were left out? It's nothing to do with push pull 201s as 202-3,5-34 all had it done.

The multiple working socket on the 201s was moved to that position because it was found that the jumper cable between the loco and the coaches particularly on the Mk3 Push/Pulls was working loose when in traffic ,this was caused by the vacuum pipe on the loco getting caught with the jumper cable especially over points or crossovers causing the Train to fail,

A story I was told while training at Inchicore was that when the 201s were delivered they were all in the same orange livery (except 208/209) and it was common enough for non push/pull loco-201-205/210-214 to be sent over to Connolly to work the Mk3 push/pulls,only after arriving there it was found that it couldn't work the train and had to be sent back to Inchicore or transferred to a Cravens set/or sent to Northwall for a liner,

It was then decided to modify the MU socket as the locos were due for an overhaul and as they were still in the same original livery-the work progressed as normal on the rest of the fleet until 201 and 204 were due in around the same time-(They entered service around the same time in July 1994)-It was then realised that they were unable to operate push/pulls so the MU socket was left in its original position,

A few years later in November 2004 loco 228 was repainted into the silver/grey Intercity livery and in January 2005 loco 213 was repainted into the orange livery with full yellow ends-the main reason being that the two new liverys meant that if the loco was silver it could work a Mk3/Mk4/De Dietrich push/pull sets or if it was orange allocate it to anything else,

If you look closely at the multiple working cable between the 201 and Mk4/Enterprise sets you will see that it is always located behind the vacuum pipe now and has a small clip fitted which clips to a tail lamp bracket for more security.

Wow, thanks for that.

Another question, about the HEP sockets under the buffers. I know 201-205 and 210-214 can't work push pulls because of their buffers and can't be fitted with a drophead coupler. I know that 210 carried out static HEP tests with Mks 3. 201 and 210 from what I can see have different HEP sockets to all the other 201s. Was this another modification and was not applied to these locos. From what I have read not all 201s had their HEP equipment commissioned, even the ones that have no reason to use it and that currently in 209 and 234 it's not working at all.

Also since the DD stock entered service all the push pull 201s seem to have been turned the same way. The No1 end is always facing Belfast or Cork. In 1994-1996 most of the 201s working the Mk3 PP sets had their No1 ends facing the coaching stock. From what I can tell the No1 end cab is bigger os it it just for driver comfort that the 201s were all turned this way seeing as it would be the No1 cab in use most of the time unless the loco is being swapped out?

Edited by Railer

Your welcome Railer,

Yes your right about the HEP sockets,I think it was more to do with sockets getting damaged that the modification was done afterwards,

The HEP was beyond repair on 209 and 234 and just didn't work well on other locos e.g 219,220 224 226,

Its more of driver comfort that the No1 end is leading on Belfast and Cork services,the fact that its a bigger cab,it seems that it is better insulated.