Dapol Irish Wagon

Rate this topic

Leyny

Sometime in the mid-noughties, I picked up a few of these Dapol wagons in Mark's Models. They're purportedly old CIE loose-coupled vans and all numbered 315. Can anyone here tell me if these are a fairly accurate model of the prototype, a passable imitation to the not-so-fussy or bear little or no resemblance a la the Lima wagons of the '80s? 

20230604_175053.jpg

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Leyny said:

Sometime in the mid-noughties, I picked up a few of these Dapol wagons in Mark's Models. They're purportedly old CIE loose-coupled vans and all numbered 315. Can anyone here tell me if these are a fairly accurate model of the prototype, a passable imitation to the not-so-fussy or bear little or no resemblance a la the Lima wagons of the '80s? 

20230604_175053.jpg

I have 2 brand new ones for sale in Upton 

tbh they are more accurate then lima Hymek shenanigans. Still much room for improvement but there still nice enough 

• Like 4
  • WOW! 1

On 4/6/2023 at 7:39 PM, Leyny said:

20230604_175053.jpg

They’re not CLOSE to anything that ever ran here, but they are LIKE some sort of generic van, in particular the corrugated ends resemble the GNR cement vans which would become part of normal CIE wagon stock not many years after they were built.

I’ve one or two though I would replace them if there’s ever a RTR one - but might I recommend the Provincial Wagons kit of a standard CIE van.

John Mayne (Mayner) also has several Irish goods vans on offer.

The most glaring and obvious inaccuracy about the above is not the body but the black chassis - it should be grey like the body.

• Thanks 1
  • Informative 2

I have several of those and have carved off the ventilator then sand smooth, very carefully!, separate the body from the chassis. Respray the chassis with grey automotive undercoat and Bobs your uncle a much better nearly Irish box van. Pop the wheels out before you spray paint at it and put a little piece of masking tope over the wheel bearing hole.  Over here in the UK Halfords is favourite for paint.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 2

• 1 month later...
1 hour ago, leslie10646 said:

Not mine, Mark's, I think. 

JB will give us chapter and verse, but I think the only Irish vans to have corrugated ends were the GNR 1954 cement vans (the one I'm doing) and some of the PAL vans?

Correct, right, accurate and true.................... Looking forward to the "Provincial"  version!

Saw one in Rock St yard in Tralee in the mid 1970s and you could still make out the large "G" of the "G   N" under the CIE grey paint.................

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

On 5/6/2023 at 6:39 AM, Leyny said:

20230604_175053.jpg

The Dapol/Marks Models? vans are basically the equivalent of British Railways MK1 coaches painted in CIE Green or Black and Tan schemes, looks close to a CIE wagon from 2'-3' distance, but quite unlike the vans that ran on CIE.

The Dapol van is basically a model of an early 1950s BR planked sided van, it looks similar to vans built by the GSWR and GSR from 1917 onwards although the Irish vans were lower, had planked ends and the brake gear was completely different

I have produced a 3D printed models of the GSWR van and early versions of the CIE standard covered H van in kit and rtr form, but its not practicable to compete on price point with mass produced Dapol models.

GSWRcovered.png.35304fd95380a67c147c7c2c9820a7f7.png

https://jmdesignmodelrailways.com/

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

Mark did Cattle, two different cover vans and a five plank I believe. All CIE.

I am guilty of doing the cattle as well - as a SLNCR one. In reality, as John M says, they aren't close to Irish for the reasons he mentions.

The Dapol Banana Van is an exception to the rule, which is why I produced three runs of it and have three more planned.

• Like 3
  • Informative 1

• 1 month later...

They more than pass the 2ft rule for me. These unpainted dapol wagons are the mainstay of my CIE era layout  along with repainted assorted Bachmann BR big 4 vans vans. 

IMG_5272.jpg

Even got a flying snail in there. Kadee draft gear box couplings help with closer coupling and reliable uncoupling when shunting formations. I think the main difference is Irish wagons didn't have corrugated ends.

IMG_5336.jpg

• Like 12
  • Informative 1

3 hours ago, Noel said:

They more than pass the 2ft rule for me. These unpainted dapol wagons are the mainstay of my CIE era layout  along with repainted assorted Bachmann BR big 4 vans vans. 

IMG_5272.jpg

Even got a flying snail in there. Kadee draft gear box couplings help with closer coupling and reliable uncoupling when shunting formations. I think the main difference is Irish wagons didn't have corrugated ends.

IMG_5336.jpg

That's class!

• Agree 1

On 19/9/2023 at 9:51 AM, Noel said:

IMG_5272.jpg

IMG_5336.jpg

Beautiful wagons Noel