CIE Weedkiller train

Rate this question

Hunslet 102

Question

Hi all

Looking for some more information,photo's if possible,of the CIE weedkiller train from the early 70s.This is the one in use before replacement in 1978,I am wanting to do a model of it for my layout as it made regular visits every year to the NIR system.I have a couple of photo references of it in action,but as most of these are of the loco's mainly,the wagons are more background shots.Any help greatly appreciated.

23 answers to this question

Thanks garfield,that photo along with a couple behind an NIR DH class are my main reference points.From the angles,there is a 30 ton brake van,a closed van,the weedspray coach which looks like a bogie type wagon that actually looks like a cut down steam engine!,if that makes sense.There appears to be a couple of other wagons,which are out of focus,one could be an open type and one looks like an ancient wagon of some sort.

Thanks Wiggy,but that is the version that replaced the version I am hoping to model,which is the early 70s,that version started service around 1978.

Here is a few links to some pics of the early spray train:

firts pic courtesy of the Great Southern Trail website

Feale%20R.jpg

and here is a link to pic found on Geograph.ie

http://www.geograph.ie/photo/2108451

and a link to another one thanks to Eiretrains.com

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20D/Dalkey/slides/Dalkey_20101126_001_CC_JA.html

There is a couple of better pics knock around somewhere on the net but I can't remember where. Hope these help?

Edited by Magpie1951

Here is a few links to some pics of the early spray train:

firts pic courtesy of the Great Southern Trail website

Feale%20R.jpg

and here is a link to pic found on Geograph.ie

http://www.geograph.ie/photo/2108451

and a link to another one thanks to Eiretrains.com

http://eiretrains.com/Photo_Gallery/Railway%20Stations%20D/Dalkey/slides/Dalkey_20101126_001_CC_JA.html

There is a couple of better pics knock around somewhere on the net but I can't remember where. Hope these help?

Excellent find magpie! What a motley collection of wagons! Dave, that's the funniest I've seen - 1 bobble hatted lad doin the work, and the other four holding up shovels. Nice find!

The aloofness of the chap furthest from camera would suggest "management" to me :facepalm:

Also meant to comment on the thread: "Weedkiller"

Legend!

Keeping well up-wind of the spray no flies on that lad!

J & j Cottell's site have a photo of the guts of the train when it was stored at Ballybrophy http://jandjcottrell.zenfolio.com/p487224326/h2e392ac#h2e392ac basically a bogie tank wagon with a steam loco cab at one end & another bogie wagon with a shed at one end.

I have often wondered about this weed killer train,as photos

of it were rare enough showing what followed behind the loco.

There is a cover shot of b103 hauling said train on the Tralee

line on a IRRS journal from October 1990,and again hard to

make out the make up of the train.Its nice to now see these

wagons for a change.

Absolutely superb information and photo's of the weedkiller train.

Magpie1951-thanks for the photo's,the first one I had not seen before and is the clearest view of the weedkiller train in action that I have seen.

Mayner-that is a superb website and the linked photo is fantastic,that will be a great help and reference for a model of this unique train,many thanks for posting :)

Wrenneire-your attached photo is of NIRs weedkilling train from the 70s that they used mainly on the Antrim branch,thanks for posting.I have actually done a model of that train as per the photo,must stick up a pic on my layout thread 'scenes from the 70s'.These trains as far as I am concerned have always and will always be weedkilling trains,weed control train sounds like a management political correct speech term that some idiot got paid thousands for,maybe the same one who has designed the new logo!!

JHB-any photo's of that coach close-up?

Thanks again for all the help guys.

I've a couple of close photographs taken of 836 during my forays into Downpatrick. Fascinating to read it was the same type of carriage as used on the old fashioned weed sprayer. That particular carriage carried the departmental number 530A if that's of any use, and once had one of those side name boards above the windows (pre-78 at least), though the lettering was missing - the original title long since forgotten!

Keeping well up-wind of the spray no flies on that lad!

J & j Cottell's site have a photo of the guts of the train when it was stored at Ballybrophy http://jandjcottrell.zenfolio.com/p487224326/h2e392ac#h2e392ac basically a bogie tank wagon with a steam loco cab at one end & another bogie wagon with a shed at one end.

I'd be interested to know the background behind that bogie tank... has a very American look to it.

No probs Hunslet gimme a shout when you are! If DCDR is closed I can still make arrangements for you to visit.

Thanks JHB,hopefully I will be able to take you up on your offer this year as you offered me the same arrangements last year for a visit to photograph the ex NCC crane,but I was unable to make it.Still looking to do a model of the crane so still interested in getting close-up photo's of it.

An old Triang http://www.tri-angrailways.org.uk/gwr.htm or possibly the current Hornby Clerestory coaches would be a good basis for the coach. The old Triang coaches used to be popular for kit bashing this style of stock, Tim Cramer wrote a Railway Modeller article on Irish Modelling in the early 70s which included a kit bash of a Triang Clerestory into an arc-roofed ex-GSWR 45' non corridor.

While the bogie tank wagon was probably home made on a 45' ex-MGWR rail wagon chassis a Triang or Athearn old style bogie tank car would look the part.

I've a couple of close photographs taken of 836 during my forays into Downpatrick. Fascinating to read it was the same type of carriage as used on the old fashioned weed sprayer. That particular carriage carried the departmental number 530A if that's of any use, and once had one of those side name boards above the windows (pre-78 at least), though the lettering was missing - the original title long since forgotten!

Eiretrains-thanks for that extra info with the carriage number.It would be good to see the couple of close-up photo's that you have if you were ok for posting them up.

This is turning into a very interesting and informative thread,thanks to all for the info.

An old Triang http://www.tri-angrailways.org.uk/gwr.htm or possibly the current Hornby Clerestory coaches would be a good basis for the coach. The old Triang coaches used to be popular for kit bashing this style of stock, Tim Cramer wrote a Railway Modeller article on Irish Modelling in the early 70s which included a kit bash of a Triang Clerestory into an arc-roofed ex-GSWR 45' non corridor.

While the bogie tank wagon was probably home made on a 45' ex-MGWR rail wagon chassis a Triang or Athearn old style bogie tank car would look the part.

Thanks John-that coach looks like a good starting point and will check out the old style bogie tank cars,maybe Garfield could throw some light on an American type option?

Cheers again lads :tumbsup: