Controversy over 'spare' carriages.

Rate this topic

Broithe

Quote from Leo Varadkar...Jesus wept...

"It doesn't make sense to sell them because they're narrow-gage, they're rolling stock - they were designed for a narrow-gage railway, and would need to be adapted before they could be sold.''

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/varadkar-no-sense-in-selling-surplus-to-requirements-train-carriages-582456.html

Quote from Leo Varadkar...Jesus wept...

"It doesn't make sense to sell them because they're narrow-gage, they're rolling stock - they were designed for a narrow-gage railway, and would need to be adapted before they could be sold.''

http://www.breakingnews.ie/ireland/varadkar-no-sense-in-selling-surplus-to-requirements-train-carriages-582456.html

Obviously a long-lost memo has turned up in the Department of Transport, recommending the withdrawal and scrapping of the West Clare's railcars and diesels... :facepalm:

God help IE if they find out about the Mark 3s, 201s and Alsthom railcars!

As I drove to work and listened to the radio report, I was thinking exactly the same sentiments as Warbonnet. The people that made those orders and spent all that money should have to explain why very good train sets were placed in storage. I remember the late 70s and early 80s when services were run with old and obsolete rolling stock. The staff of CIE did a great job through that period keeping the services running on a shoe-string budget. and I'm thinking of the haphazard condition of the passenger trains on the DSER line and the obsolete push/pull sets that ran Dublin inner and outer suburban services. I remember a PW staff member who walked a section of track daily, once telling me that some nights he lay awake worrying about the condition of the track. Wet spots were common place, and the track bounced under the weight of heavy goods traffic. Now we have top quality track, which in most cases is only used by the much lighter DMU fleet. In fairness, Irish Rail have modernized the fleet over the past number of years but a great deal of money was spent, many of the routes are still not running the promised faster journey times needed to compete with the expanded motorway network and the freight carry capacity of the rail system has been allowed to decrease steadily over the years. Warbonnet is right, that PR lady is lucky that the cat is not fully out of the bag yet.

As I drove to work and listened to the radio report, I was thinking exactly the same sentiments as Warbonnet. The people that made those orders and spent all that money should have to explain why very good train sets were placed in storage. I remember the late 70s and early 80s when services were run with old and obsolete rolling stock. The staff of CIE did a great job through that period keeping the services running on a shoe-string budget. and I'm thinking of the haphazard condition of the passenger trains on the DSER line and the obsolete push/pull sets that ran Dublin inner and outer suburban services. I remember a PW staff member who walked a section of track daily, once telling me that some nights he lay awake worrying about the condition of the track. Wet spots were common place, and the track bounced under the weight of heavy goods traffic. Now we have top quality track, which in most cases is only used by the much lighter DMU fleet. In fairness, Irish Rail have modernized the fleet over the past number of years but a great deal of money was spent, many of the routes are still not running the promised faster journey times needed to compete with the expanded motorway network and the freight carry capacity of the rail system has been allowed to decrease steadily over the years. Warbonnet is right, that PR lady is lucky that the cat is not fully out of the bag yet.

Weirdly I was passing Inchicore yesterday and there were 5 orange 201s by the RPSI stock near the diesel shed and all had been removed from the storage sidings where they had been for the last few years. Changes afoot?

Looking to take more part's off them to keep others going?

M.

Weirdly I was passing Inchicore yesterday and there were 5 orange 201s by the RPSI stock near the diesel shed and all had been removed from the storage sidings where they had been for the last few years. Changes afoot?