LIMA Murphy Models

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

I propose to post pictures of all the models produced by Murphy Models in sequence from their days with LIMA to the current models produced by Murphy Models

Lima produced models of British outline stock

These were then offered to Lima agent in Dublin, Lexie Keady

He then accepted or refused the sets and the accepted ones went on general release here

Towards the end of the 90's Keady retired from the trade and Murphy Models began a relationship with LIMA that saw them produce some of the first authentic Irish railway models

This is their first attempt , set # L105100X33 released in 1997, possibly as few as 300 made.

It was released in the Lima Hobby Range line.

It was classed as a starter set,

It consists of a Cl33 repainted as an A Class # 015 This model had been produced by LIMA for Tynan and was accepted as an Irish loco at the time, the Tynan model was numbered 215.

Coaching stock consisted of a Mk 2D #5228 and a Mk 3 Restaurant # 7115

It also came with a traffo and track.

300 Sets believed to have been produced

105100X33 Train Set Close UP of engine & carriages.jpg

New set 2.jpg

105100x33 Train Set.jpg

105100X33 Train Set Close UP of engine & carriages.jpg

New set 2.jpg

105100x33 Train Set.jpg

Edited by WRENNEIRE

The HO was produced in 1977 in conjunction with the British stuff by LIMA themselves as their first foray into the Irish/UK markets

It was because of the failure of the HO that LIMA then looked for an Irish involvement so that they would have more feedback etc

I will get to the LIMA/Lexie stuff later in the lesson!

The HO was produced in 1977 in conjunction with the British stuff by LIMA themselves as their first foray into the Irish/UK markets

It was because of the failure of the HO that LIMA then looked for an Irish involvement so that they would have more feedback etc

I'll be bringing an apple instead of stale buns with me the next time so.

Todays set is L105500X07

Again it contains an "A" Class 015

2 x Mk 11D Coaches #5201 & 5223

Track & Traffo

The rear of the box had some buildings which could be cut out and for this reason this set in boxed condition is hard to find.

300 Sets believed to have been produced

P1100367.JPG

P1100364.JPG

P1100365.JPG

P1100369.JPG

Edited by WRENNEIRE
photoemptybucket!!!

Brilliant Dave, keep it coming please. Will this be like a catalogue of stuff available for purchase:p? I'll be looking for some coaches from you in the future. This will surely help me figure out what I'm looking for! Also would be interested in original and current estimated values of featured stock where possible :tumbsup: (just for curiosity purposes) I know a lot of it is your own private collection. Fascinating to see what is and was available though.

Brilliant Dave, keep it coming please. Will this be like a catalogue of stuff available for purchase:p? I'll be looking for some coaches from you in the future. This will surely help me figure out what I'm looking for! Also would be interested in original and current estimated values of featured stock where possible :tumbsup: (just for curiosity purposes) I know a lot of it is your own private collection. Fascinating to see what is and was available though.

Conor

The idea is to show a comprehensive list and display of the entire ready to run models that were available in Irish outline over the years

I have started with the Lima / Murphy Models connection as I feel this marriage is almost single handily responsible for the current interest in Irish outline modeling

Stories of 2 year waits for the few kit built locos that were available back in the day are not uncommon so to be able to walk into your local model shop and buy a realistic Irish outline model is a relatively new experience, especially to us modelers of a certain age.

Bear with me over the next few weeks and I will try and show all of these iconic models

Like all collectors the trill has been in the hunt for some of the more elusive sets and once found they are put away and the chase begins for the next one

If any of you guys have any old Lima/Jouef/ Hornby Irish sets I would love to hear from you

Dave I remember a Lima set from the 70's that had a loco four coaches a gantry and level crossing, plus track and controller. I had the set with the loco , 3 freight wagons, car transporter, and car transporter unloader.

Rich,

Heading into the Bank Holiday weekend

Todays instalment is not the most exciting of the bunch but may be the most important

It was because of this model that the 201 project began, and how the Irish side of the hobby improved since that model came along

From a collectors point of view there are 2 different styles of box which makes it important to get both!

Also note that there are no roof exhausts on this version, the earlier Lima (Lexie Keady) versions had the exhausts.

Issued in 1998 and only 300 were produced in this format.

L204778

2007-09-18 14.15.12.jpg

Edited by WRENNEIRE

Guest hidden-agenda

Dave any chance you could take the models out of the boxes and give us a decent pic showing the side the roof and the end as some of us never had these models and it would give us a perspective on the model and its history?

Regards Gareth.

I think it was John Byrne the former Hornby rep who got the ball rolling with the Lima Irish HO stuff not sure if this was around the time he set up the Hobby Shop in Sackville Place around the side of Clerys.

I was mainly into N at the time and had the Lima 4F in CIE livery and 3 Green coaches.

Did Lima continue with the Irish stuff up to MM arrival or was there a gap in production?

John

John

Jonh Byrnes involvement goes back to his friendship with the Wrenn brothers, Cedric & George, They were friends and when Wrenn decided to stop their involvement with Lima they introduced John to the MD of Lima and this is where the HO Irish items were born.

John was the General Manager of Lexie Keady Ltd at this time. Together with Lexie they travelled to the Nuremburg Toyfair in 1974 and obtained the agency. John suggeste dthe repainting of the Cl 33 & Mk 11 coaches into the Supertrain Set and later the 4F & Mk 1 Coaches into the Old Irish Mainline set. When it was discovered that OO was the gauge of choice these items were in 1975 in OO gauge

Lima produced some sets during the 80's and these will be covered in a later thread

Paddy did not arrive on the scene till 1997

Lima first produced their N Gauge items in 1968, so I am presuming that John Byrne also was responsible for the Passenger & Freight Irish sets that were available at the same time as the HO sets.

Next item in the history lesson is the Lima Mk 111 restaurant coach

Item # L305340

A repainted BR Mk 3 coach, not prototypically correct but not too far off.

Only 300 of these boxed coaches were produced

Coach #7403

In April 2009 one of these ladies sold for €611.50 on EbaY!

L305340A.JPG

Edited by WRENNEIRE

Guest hidden-agenda

Dave i think John Byrne worked at the model shop in Sackville place i dont think he owned it (open to correction) as the shop closed when the owner passed away, im damned if i can remember his name.

Todays item is set # L149801-2

If I had been able to supply the amount of these sets I had been asked for I would be a wealthy man.

Again this set was produced in 1998 and only 300 sets made

3 X Mk 3 coaches. 7135, 7141 & 7165

MML149801-2.JPG

Edited by WRENNEIRE
  • Informative 1