Enniskillen?

Rate this topic

Galteemore

Never trust your pride and joy to run well first time in public, especially on someone else's tracks. I should know, with a drawer full of t-shirts to my name...

Sir Henry wasn't exactly happy that day either, though (fingers crossed), after tweaking the headshunt point and levelling the track across the baseboard joint, all should now be well for both locos. We can but see. Aldershot in October, or Chatham in July, maybe?

Enniskillen certainly looks at home in its namesake setting, as does coach No9. Worth investing in a couple of shuttle units, a la Tullygrainy? Or a sound system - decent speakers under the baseboard should do it. We had a little RTR early diesel mechanical shunter on the club O gauge layout on Tuesday. The sound chip even features gear change noises. Ideal for the railbus...

Always been good at spending other people's money!😇🤔😁

• Like 2
  • Funny 4

• 2 weeks later...
10 minutes ago, Tullygrainey said:

Wonderful! I love the B&W image. Full of atmosphere and detail but beautifully understated and the oul fella with his hands in his pockets just brings it to life.  Less is definitely more here!

Thanks Alan. For some reason I prefer the B and W images the iPhone puts out! The old geezer is actually a  model of John Betjeman apparently….he would have loved the SLNCR given his penchant for railways and oddities….

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Galteemore said:

The bay was laid with FB rail up until about 56/57 when it was relaid with bullhead and reasonably ballasted.

Probably Senior's last PW job IN the station; maybe he got tired of looking at the shabby old stuff right outside his office window.......!

• Funny 3

On 20/2/2024 at 8:45 PM, Galteemore said:

Track ‘ballasted’ (Sligo bay trackage was apparently encased in mud judging from photos)…….and the goods siding sleepers did look less ‘embedded’ than the main running line in real life. DAS clay, with various treatments such as emulsion paint and pepper. The bay was laid with FB rail up until about 56/57 when it was relaid with bullhead and reasonably ballasted. This, of course, represents the earlier era as shown in @Irishswissernie’s image at very top of the thread. 

IMG_0547.jpeg

IMG_0546.jpeg

Someone knocked the bike over. Bloody typical🤨

• Like 1
  • Funny 3

One of the issues I had to address was how to ‘model’ the rest of the station. Enniskillen had a rather large station building which looms large in photos of the Sligo bay. It’s never going to be in focus on this layout but has to be at least suggested. I’m no artist but had a go, working very much off J H Ahern’s principles. A loading gauge and half-relief open wagon also help close off the scene a bit. I also sketched in a suggestion of canopies, pillars and shadows suggesting the main station platforms stretching beyond the Sligo canopy. Still a few tweaks but getting there. The layout is designed to be viewed side on rather than at this angle so a vague impression of depth is what we are after, really. 

IMG_0692.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 15
  • WOW! 4