Enniskillen?

Rate this topic

Galteemore

For a while now it’s been apparent that my plan to build a slice of Florencecourt won’t happen immediately, as I just don’t have 12’ of convenient space to put up the main board fed by fiddles either end. But I was feeling rather guilty about the three baseboards and trestles I’d built two years ago for the project. I also really need some kind of layout on which to test out locos and stock - even just a bit of back and forth. Much head scratching and I realised I could use one of the boards to make an Iain Rice cameo, with two tracks fed by a cassette fiddle. This can stay up more or less permanently in the workshop. So a busy morning at our local community woodwork facility saw the carcass made……and painted in SLNC station colour of grey/blue. 

So if I can’t model Florencecourt -  for all its simplicity - what on earth can I model? Why Enniskillen of course! Sounds lunacy but check out…..https://www.carendt.com/micro-layout-design-gallery/passenger-lines/ The Farthing layouts are also inspiring….https://farthinglayouts.blogspot.com/ - layouts built as various sections of a station. 

I had initially thought of modelling a segment of Dromahair goods yard to allow a shunting puzzle but that would rule out passenger ops. Then I recalled dear old Carl Arendt’s micro terminals as above. So I can model a section of the SLNC bay at Enniskillen. There was no run round so quite prototypical for trains to run in and propel out. The canopy will be at rear of layout - just have to work out how to imply that the station continues beyond ! 

Trains will be short but it’s better than no layout!! And in any case I am more of a rolling stock constructor than an operator at heart. With some thought and care, I could run the full SLNC timetable with the right stock. After all most services were by railbus so quite short in length - and the goods services would often shunt as far as the dock platform. Thus lots of scope for meaningful minimal space operation. 

159 SLNC 1956-06-06 Enniskillen 'Sir Henry' 7.20 to Sligo coprint159

Unlike anything I have done before this is straight out of Rice’s cameo layout book in terms of planning from day 1, rather than the suck it and see approach of previous efforts. Shunting, for instance,  will be hands off - no space for electro-magnets so I am not using AJs. I have ordered a batch of Flippems from our own @Bob49 and when those arrive I will start experimenting with magnet placement. 

IMG_9757.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 15

Superb - looking forward to this one.

Although when I saw the title I got a bit excited - was hoping for a large attic room with a finescale O gauge layout depicting one of the GNR's jewels!  Blue 440s, black 440s and 060s, mahogany (or was it teak?) carriages and a plethora of assorted goods stock.  And of course the venerable SLNCR 064s with the railcar and railbus.......

Edited by Patrick Davey
  • Like 1

Fascinating! Looks like an interesting, but hopefully stress free build and will form a great picture frame for current and future projects.

In one of his 7mm layout building books, Gordon Gravett did a plan of a light railway junction, with the bay platform to the front and the mainline behind - just like Enniskillen. Hence either a full coach, if room, or a half relief, or even a painting or photo of a GN coach could set the scene nicely.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, David Holman said:

Fascinating! Looks like an interesting, but hopefully stress free build and will form a great picture frame for current and future projects.

In one of his 7mm layout building books, Gordon Gravett did a plan of a light railway junction, with the bay platform to the front and the mainline behind - just like Enniskillen. Hence either a full coach, if room, or a half relief, or even a painting or photo of a GN coach could set the scene nicely.

Thanks David. Funnily enough yesterday I looked up Robert Kosmider’s article in the Gauge O Guild Gazette doing a similar thing with Hamblings pre-war lithos. I have that Gravett book so will check it out….

IMG_9771.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 8

2 minutes ago, Angus said:

There was a great talk on the SLNCR at the IRRS Manchester meet last week. 

Lots of photos of Enniskillen and the line I hadn't seen. 

Although there was some IT issues the event was record so the slides should be available. 

Thanks Angus - I managed to tune in and catch as much as was possible! 

20 hours ago, Northroader said:

Off to a flying start, looks very promising.

How’s your project coming along Bob? Got to confess, as I think we may have similar space and track plans in mind, your ambition to include passenger workings played a part in nudging me away from a goods yard diorama! 

It’s slowly coming together, but for now I’m still paying expenses on two houses, so outgoings on modelling are very limited. The boards are using two A1 sheets of 10mm foamboard, which determines a length for each at 33”, with a backscene support of 5mm foamboard. The track is nearly ready to lay, and you’ll be glad to hear it’s set at 37mm. or thereabouts. Good to hear you fancy mixing goods and passenger. Don’t worry about the station building that’s roughed out, that’s for a Portuguese fancy, I’m swotting up on JB’ s useful thread on GNRI buildings.

IMG_0360.thumb.jpeg.2c75074c973f18c6ebf3bfb0dabb09ff.jpeg

• Like 11

• 2 months later...

Really involved constructional work, I’d be scared how sturdy it would prove to be if I was doing it, but going through your materials it sounds strong enough. I found there’s a great temptation picking up those canopies for your fingers to curl over the edges, where the daggerboards are, so don't be like Bob. The appearance of the end result will set off the cameo very well.

• Agree 2
  • Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...

The catalyst for this layout was ‘Enniskillen’s shockingly poor performance on Northport Quay at Uckfield in October. This made me realise that I needed some kind of layout to run locos - at least back and forward a bit to fine tune the adjustments that handbuilt metal locos need. They require much more fettling than RTR and you really need some kind of test track. There aren’t many 5’3 test tracks around though!!  So tonight the track, after soldering, sleeper gapping and wiring up, was temporarily installed to see if Enniskillen redeemed herself. This took a while to prove as the bogie pillar broke off! Quick soldering job and we were in business. I think she has earned her coal….departing here on the 7:20 to Sligo…..it’s a tiny layout with a few bits to do yet…but we are getting there I think…another big job carried out was installation of diffused LED lighting which has proved well worth doing. Sorry for dubious camera work! 

IMG_0423.jpeg

Edited by Galteemore
  • Like 12
  • WOW! 1

26 minutes ago, Galteemore said:

The catalyst for this layout was ‘Enniskillen’s shockingly poor performance on Northport Quay at Uckfield in October. This made me realise that I needed some kind of layout to run locos - at least back and forward a bit to fine tune the adjustments that handbuilt metal locos need. So tonight the track, after soldering, sleeper gapping and wiring up, was temporarily installed to see if Enniskillen redeemed herself. This took a while to prove as the bogie pillar broke off! Quick soldering job and we were in business. I think she has earned her coal….departing here on the 7:20 to Sligo…..it’s a tiny layout with a few bits to do yet…but we are getting there I think…another big job carried out was installation of diffused LED lighting which has proved well worth doing.

IMG_0423.jpeg

VERY nice!

• Agree 1