Irish Railway Record Society: "Time’s Arrow” 18/19th May 2024

Rate this topic

The "Time’s Arrow” railtour has been arranged for Saturday 18th & Sunday 19th May 2024 to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the Tokyu Car Corporation 2600 Class Railcars, which entered service on Monday 16th May 1994.

With thanks to Iarnród Éireann, we are going back in time to the 1990’s by taking a 2600 Class railcar to Dublin to explore the suburban system, visiting old haunts and new locations, including Dublin Heuston, Adamstown Bay Platform, Grand Canal Dock Bay Platform, Dundalk, Howth, Dublin Connolly, Maynooth and M3 Parkway.

But that isn’t the end of it. Following an overnight stay in Dublin, on Sunday we will recreate the famous 1220 Heuston – Cork non-stop "ARROW" express of the late 1990’s from Dublin Heuston to Cork, but with the added bonus of a nonstop run from Dublin Heuston to Cobh. After a short break at Cobh to stretch our legs from the 177-mile journey, we will retrace our steps as far as Cork where the tour will conclude.

See https://irrstimesarrow.eventbrite.ie for full information.

Edited by thewanderer
  • Like 6

8 hours ago, Mayner said:

177 miles non-stop in a 2600 seems more like penance than pleasure.

What are the Cork enthusiasts atoning for?

My very thoughts when I saw the stock and the distance involved, doubtless people will enjoy the experience, it's just not for me! 

The 21st century version of standing in an open wagon enthusiasts' special.

1 hour ago, minister_for_hardship said:

My very thoughts when I saw the stock and the distance involved, doubtless people will enjoy the experience, it's just not for me! 

The 21st century version of standing in an open wagon enthusiasts' special.

Dish out the Hardship Minister but cannie take it!!! :)

Ah Starting from Cork! Its not in the Blurb at the start! An overnight cost involved in Dublin kills it for me TBH. 

Edited by Georgeconna

6 hours ago, GSR 800 said:

You'll have no shortage of them once the Dart + are up and running

Maybe if there running to youghal we would take them 🤣

3 hours ago, Georgeconna said:

Dish out the Hardship Minister but cannie take it!!! :)

Ah Starting from Cork! Its not in the Blurb at the start! An overnight cost involved in Dublin kills it for me TBH. 

I will be heading down to cork after Day 1. I’m still thinking to do day 2 or not….I’d almost be better of staying in cork and partake in some gricing! 

• Like 1

On 13/2/2024 at 9:17 AM, Georgeconna said:

You do also have the option of returning to Cork on the Saturday evening by IE service train (2100 Heuston - Cork) if you only want to do the Saturday of the tour.

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Just a reminder that tickets are still available for Time's Arrow railtour on 18th - 19th May from Cork & Dublin to Dundalk, Howth, Maynooth, M3 Parkway and Cobh.

Full tour details and booking at https://irrstimesarrow.eventbrite.ie with multiple different ticket options available (single day ticket for Saturday from Cork or Dublin or Sunday day ticket for the non stop run from Dublin to Cobh or a 2 day ticket for best value).

And IE are also getting in on the act with the 30th anniversary with a retro repaint of a 2600 into ARROW livery. It is planned that the ARROW liveried unit will feature on the IRRS tour. They released a sneek peek on social media last Friday with a full reveal to come this week. See https://fb.watch/rCI9oIS9mU/

DSC_4471-S.jpg

Edited by thewanderer
  • Like 5

It's back to the 1990's for Iarnrod Eireann as they have repainted 2600 Class, No. 2601+2602 back into a modified version of the ARROW livery they originally carried from 1994 to the early 2000's to celebrate the 30th anniversary of the class. The work was completed to an outstanding quality in house at the paint spray facility in Inchicore Works and the team poses in front of the completed set on Wednesday 25th April for official photos to be taken before the set returns to service in Cork working the commuter services to Cobh, Midleton and Mallow. 

An IR£19.5 million order was placed in 1992 with Mitsui, who subcontracted the order to Tokyu Car Corporation of Yokohama, Japan. This was quite groundbreaking on a number of fronts; not only was it the first Irish order placed with an Asian firm, but they were also the first railway vehicles built in Asia for the European market and the vehicles are still held in high regard by their manufacture 30 years later.

The Irish Railway Record Society are arranging a 30th anniversary railtour over the weekend of the 18th & 19th May and it is expected that 2601 + 2602 will work the tour throughout. See https://irrstimesarrow.eventbrite.ie for more information and booking.

For photos of the launch click https://thewandererphotos.smugmug.com/Officialevents/2024/ARROW-30-years-1994-2024/

DSC_4666-S.jpg

DSC_4675-S.jpg

DSC_4662-S.jpg

Edited by thewanderer
  • Like 3
  • Agree 1