Meeting an old friend

Rate this topic

Flying Scotsman 4472

I was shocked to see this old girl sitting at the Cultra bus show I didn't know her in her new livery.

On a closer look I realised she was RH175. She was one of the buses I used to drive out of Ringsend nearly 20 years ago

when I worked for Dublin Bus. I just couldn't resist jumping in the drivers seat and a lot of happy memories came flooding back.

I would have just loved to have fired her up and gone for a drive in her.:o

034.jpg

035.jpg

044.jpg

045.jpg

043.jpg

036-1.jpg

046.jpg

Garfield as the Mrs said to me my face said it all

I think the photos prove that mate. What are the odds or chances that the bus that you drove all those years ago would be there. A lovely piece of nostalgia for you Anto. I have a small software gremlin to overcome Anto, but I should have those DVD's sorted this week for you.

Rich,

What were like to drive Bud?.

Eamonn they were a dream to drive it was just like driving a car. It was a nice start to the day when you got your running board and you found out you got an RH to drive. The other options you could have got in Ringsend at the time were a KD, D, or vanhool. I did my test in a D but believe me if you got a D or a Vanhool to do your days shift in you weren't as happy. The KD wasn't a bad old girl to drive either and the dash was nice and low so it made a good foot rest for your left foot and they were quite comfy to drive.

The biggest thing when you got type trained in the RH was getting used to the retarder on the brakes. When you put your foot on the brake pedal nothing would happen it takes a moment for the brakes to come in. The funny thing was that when you were out getting type trained everyone would panic when they hit the brakes for the first time then their natural reaction was to push the pedal further into the floor causing the rest of us hang on for dear life as the RH glued itself to the road. Once you mastered that she was a dream.

I envy what the guys have to drive in Dublin Bus now a days looking at some of the new buses on show at the weekend. I do regret till this day my decision to leave Dublin Bus and move back home I always think of what could have been. Out of all the jobs I have had over the years its the only one looking back I looked forward to going to work every day. The guys in Ringsend were great to work with every one watched out for every one and me been the youngest in the garage at the time the senior drivers always made sure I was OK it was like a big family.

'I do regret till this day my decision to leave Dublin Bus and move back home I always think of what could have been. Out of all the jobs I have had over the years its the only one looking back I looked forward to going to work every day. The guys in Ringsend were great to work with every one watched out for every one and me been the youngest in the garage at the time the senior drivers always made sure I was OK it was like a big family.'

ah anthony, we all do regret decisions that we made in the past -its in our nature to think of what might have been! just think about what you have...2 grand girls (even though you are probably hen pecked like the rest of us or riddled as the case may be if you are a bad boy!), you have a big model railway..and your alive!! not to mention that us plonkeers are here to slag you at any oppertunity!!:tumbsup:

'I do regret till this day my decision to leave Dublin Bus and move back home I always think of what could have been. Out of all the jobs I have had over the years its the only one looking back I looked forward to going to work every day. The guys in Ringsend were great to work with every one watched out for every one and me been the youngest in the garage at the time the senior drivers always made sure I was OK it was like a big family.'

ah anthony, we all do regret decisions that we made in the past -its in our nature to think of what might have been! just think about what you have...2 grand girls (even though you are probably hen pecked like the rest of us or riddled as the case may be if you are a bad boy!), you have a big model railway..and your alive!! not to mention that us plonkeers are here to slag you at any oppertunity!!:tumbsup:

Thanks Man :tumbsup:

• 2 weeks later...