Jump to content

Irish Rail in video games

Rate this topic


Recommended Posts

While not getting as much airtime on video games as companies like British Rail, I've decided to create a topic on our railways' virtual appearances spurred by Subway Surfers.

Subway Surfers -- a bit of a mindless game, but good to play in short bouts when bored. I've come to learn that, presumably because of St. Paddy's Day, the game has had Ireland added to it. I'll attach pictures below.

 

Screenshot_2024-03-30-08-24-23-918_com.kiloo.subwaysurf2.thumb.jpg.efe2b8f1bb22996f690ec7da192b6b8b.jpg

A 2600 lookalike.

 

Screenshot_2024-03-30-08-24-02-167_com.kiloo.subwaysurf2.thumb.jpg.aee1e1820828bb6c308159757e0157fc.jpg

Looks like a mix of a 29000 and maybe a DART?

 

Screenshot_2024-03-30-08-26-50-375_com.kiloo.subwaysurf2.jpg.a5a72d53133008e617fa4c64b0e89864.jpg

Good ol' 071 with containers.

I just thought it was interesting to see a more casual view of Irish Rail, in such a successful game too! I might post more examples on this thread if I find any.

  • Like 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

There's a small bit of Irish content in train simulators, though there hasn't been any commercial efforts in decades.

Microsoft Train Simulator had Irish Enterprise North and South by Making Tracks, which combined cover York Road to Connolly. It covers the Navan Branch too, and was the only commercial endeavour that visited Irish shores.
Here's a video with some clips from the route: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ya1uEYHuWeY

For Train Simulator Classic there are routes from Dublin to Cork and Dublin to Rosslare, along with a few smaller lines by Brendan Moran. The Cork route covers the GSWR main line from Heuston to Cork, and extending to Cobh and Midelton from there. The South Kerry to Tralee and Limerick via both Limerick Junction and Nenagh are present as well. This video covers the Dublin-Cork run: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3VXoU3tk9mY. The trip to Rosslare covers the full DSER main line, and it extends to Malahide and Howth to allow for the Dart. The route isn't fully complete as the release was rushed to get something out before the website it was originally hosted on shut down. The assets have since been mirrored in this Reddit thread.

That's about it for train simulators. On a related note, I have another hobby where I modify games I like, and I ended up with the idea of stopping a runaway train for a game jam.

ArchOfCoups-9.png.c8154cd9c4721e9eaaad2fb408ee3c15.png

Being the Corkman I am, I made it a 2600, or at least an attempt at one. Now that I look at it, the name Arrow applied to a modern livery isn't the most accurate, but what other name could I put in? Cattle Cars, as whoever wrote the Wikipedia 2600 page (I suspect that person is not a fan of the 2600) calls them? Overall, it was a very silly project: the protagonists hop on a 2600 in Limerick and take it up the Western Railway Corridor (even though it's disconnected at the Athenry end) because they were reading an old map and nearly fell off the missing bridge over the N63.

 

  • Like 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Darrman said:

There's a small bit of Irish content in train simulators, though there hasn't been any commercial efforts in decades.

Microsoft Train Simulator had Irish Enterprise North and South by Making Tracks, which combined cover York Road to Connolly. It covers the Navan Branch too, and was the only commercial endeavour that visited Irish shores.....

 

I had both North and South. South was alright as far as it went, but did seem curiously underdeveloped at the Dublin end, as if the programmers had lost patience by this time and just wanted to get it all signed off.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

18 hours ago, Darrman said:

Cattle Cars, as whoever wrote the Wikipedia 2600 page (I suspect that person is not a fan of the 2600) calls them?

Has anyone ever called them that? 
 

somone would ought to remove that from the wiki. I’m no good at Wikipedia as I once tried to edit the cork bandon and south coast Wikipedia to remove “Clonmacsherry” as a village among a few other things and got in trouble with the citation police. 

 

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Westcorkrailway said:

Has anyone ever called them that? 
 

somone would ought to remove that from the wiki. I’m no good at Wikipedia as I once tried to edit the cork bandon and south coast Wikipedia to remove “Clonmacsherry” as a village among a few other things and got in trouble with the citation police. 

 

Looking at the page now, it seems someone has just removed it today, probably influenced by this thread.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 minutes ago, Branchline121 said:

Looking at the page now, it seems someone has just removed it today, probably influenced by this thread.

good to hear....ive heard fanta cans and buiscuit tins purley in a saterical fashion but never cattle cars....

a thread uncovering the falsities in irish railway wikipedia would be good!

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/4/2024 at 5:03 PM, Westcorkrailway said:

good to hear....ive heard fanta cans and buiscuit tins purley in a saterical fashion but never cattle cars....

a thread uncovering the falsities in irish railway wikipedia would be good!

 

It seems the entire page is unsourced, someone ought to add a few references; talking about Wikipedia oddities, the A class is listed under 001 class, which isn’t an error, but I find it bizarre they refrain on titling it the A class, same story with the C class. It is disappointing some errors exist, but I suppose it’s a miracle we have any pages on the site at all, seen as the interest is a lot smaller than that of Britain or Germany.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Has anybody in the GTA modding community re-skinned the train in GTAV?

It already has a classic GM look to it, but it'd be nice to see a more Irish version - with a few Bell containers!


Yeah it’s been done, infact I think some have replaced the model that’s in game and replaced it with something else….I’m not doing it though! I haven’t a scooby doo how to do it 

  • Thanks 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 hours ago, Westcorkrailway said:


Yeah it’s been done, infact I think some have replaced the model that’s in game and replaced it with something else….I’m not doing it though! I haven’t a scooby doo how to do it 

 

Just had a look on YouTube.

Appears the FiveM guys have actually incorporated the skinned trains into their servers!

Now, to find a GTA modder and get us an 071!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 weeks later...
On 28/4/2024 at 5:02 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

 

Just had a look on YouTube.

Appears the FiveM guys have actually incorporated the skinned trains into their servers!

Now, to find a GTA modder and get us an 071!

Or get we could also get someone to remove the train from Red Dead Redemption 2 and replace it with a J15!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

There’s a small video game called Brick Rigs, based around the use of vehicles built out of Lego-style bricks, which I play sometimes. The vehicles are made by individual players, and uploaded to the “workshop”. The game has a large variety of realistic trains, trams, etc., but I have never been able to find many Irish vehicles. However, among those which I did find were RUC LR Simbas, Tangis, etc., Ryanair planes and a couple of Garda and PSNI vehicles. However, I found absolutely no trains from the island of Ireland, and, having done lacklustre repaints/ reletterings of a HST and EMD G16 into IÉ paint schemes, I found a fellow who had made a Translink unit, I believe generic, but I haven’t used it in a while, so I do t quite remember. I don’t know if it really counts when it’s a community-sourced game like this, but I thought some people would be interested to know of it.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use