A 3d printed 800 class for 00 (and a WLWR goods loco)

Rate this topic

10 minutes ago, Killian Keane said:

Thats the 800 tender finished, hopefully

Screenshot 2024-06-09 213500.png

Screenshot 2024-06-09 213727.png

God Almighty, you must have absolutely slaved over that! I'd have gone cross-eyed within the first 10 minutes of trying to draw it all out.

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1
  • Funny 1

7 minutes ago, Horsetan said:

God Almighty, you must have absolutely slaved over that! I'd have gone cross-eyed within the first 10 minutes of trying to draw it all out.

Thankfully I lost the tattered remains of my sanity many years ago so this job had no effect whatsoever on me

• Like 4
  • Funny 7

• 2 weeks later...

As I don't want any nasty surprises when I come to finally marry up the 800 body to its chassis, I'm currently running off a test print of the 90% finished model (Ive already done this with the tender body and that fits nicely), We're on the home straight now

Screenshot 2024-06-20 195212.png

• Like 16

19 minutes ago, Killian Keane said:

Thankya, I just have to alter the front underside of the body slightly as the front body mounting is an M2.5 screw and nut, but getting the nut in is a significant challenge as is, apart from that it all lines up perfectly

Hi Killian,

With regard to the nut and bolt problem, would it be possible to use a small self tapping screw into a suitable sized hole within a boss on the underside of the print ?

The reason I ask is that this is a method I use in my cut and shuts if a body shell requires fixing to a chassis. The old Mainline Scots were fixed in this way and they kept hold pretty well as are quite a lot of the Lima models.

Gibbo.

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, gibbo675 said:

Hi Killian,

With regard to the nut and bolt problem, would it be possible to use a small self tapping screw into a suitable sized hole within a boss on the underside of the print ?

The reason I ask is that this is a method I use in my cut and shuts if a body shell requires fixing to a chassis. The old Mainline Scots were fixed in this way and they kept hold pretty well as are quite a lot of the Lima models.

Gibbo.

Id do that but Id be a little concerned about the resin cracking, I'll see if this current version I have works and I'll revise if needed, it was just that I couldnt get my finger in from the narrow gap in the bottom of the boiler

• Informative 1

2 hours ago, Killian Keane said:

Id do that but Id be a little concerned about the resin cracking, I'll see if this current version I have works and I'll revise if needed, it was just that I couldnt get my finger in from the narrow gap in the bottom of the boiler

Could you design a slot in the print to hold the nut? While space is probably limited in this model, I have desinged prints to take rivnuts which I glue in place, and they act as a threaded insert for a bolt - might be an option. 

• Like 3
  • Agree 1

How different are the Hornby chassis for the Royal Scot and Patriot? I ask as I have a Patriot and would happily buy a print of this if I were able to fit it to said chassis with minimal modifications.

• Like 1

Posted (edited)
On 26/6/2024 at 1:05 AM, RobertRoche said:

Could you design a slot in the print to hold the nut? While space is probably limited in this model, I have desinged prints to take rivnuts which I glue in place, and they act as a threaded insert for a bolt - might be an option. 

Ive put a hexagonal hole in the base of the smokebox to hold the nut, its just a question of getting it in there thats the problem, what I'll probably do is extend the slot to the back of the smokebox so the nut can be slid in from behind, and then I'll put a top on this hole so the nut wont be lifted when the screw comes in from underneath

1 hour ago, LNERW1 said:

How different are the Hornby chassis for the Royal Scot and Patriot? I ask as I have a Patriot and would happily buy a print of this if I were able to fit it to said chassis with minimal modifications.

Ive just tried a Patriot chassis under the test print, the answer is 'surprisingly well' but I'll have to be altering the cab floor area slightly for that, so itll be a separate version for each chassis, the tender is another story however, the patriot one is too short by 5-6mm so ideally you'd have to get hold of a secondhand royal scot one

Edited by Killian Keane
  • Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Metrovik said:

Any news on the WLWR loco? The 800s are far too big for my little branchline.

Although it is looking VERY good.

Not since the last photo of it, the 800 is the priority currently as its on commission, but when thats finished (soon) I expect to be able to do more work on that, can't wait to have one in my hands as they're much more the right period and the right region for meScreenshot2024-06-28224836.thumb.png.234d65b92523b20321e46b45bb04cf26.pngScreenshot2024-06-28224950.thumb.png.3802f39b9f3ba1c1aff435d55faeb4f5.png

• Like 10
  • WOW! 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Hi Killian,

I note with interest that you have modelled the rear of the fire box with the doorplate radius patches in place. When the locomotives were new these would not have been in place as they are repairs due to caustic stress grooves due to the flexing of the plate in the mid point of the radius of the door plate flanges.

When the locomotives were in service was the boiler plate uncovered as shown ? If it was not lagged and sheeted those locomotives would have had roasting hot cabs especially in summer. Perhaps as preserved the lagging was removed as it may have been asbestos and the sheeting not replaced due to poor condition.

Gibbo.

• Informative 2

Hi Folks,

I haven't got any photographs of the cabs of the 800 class locomotives, I only commented for I used to work on steam Locomotives at Riley & Son's in Bury for almost 20 years and as such I'm familiar with steam locomotives and how they are constructed.

I know about doorplate patches as I used to either fit them or cut them out and weld new sections into place, sometime the whole door plate would be changed out depending upon condition and the budget of the customer.

Gibbo.

2 hours ago, gibbo675 said:

Hi Folks,

I haven't got any photographs of the cabs of the 800 class locomotives, I only commented for I used to work on steam Locomotives at Riley & Son's in Bury for almost 20 years and as such I'm familiar with steam locomotives and how they are constructed.

I know about doorplate patches as I used to either fit them or cut them out and weld new sections into place, sometime the whole door plate would be changed out depending upon condition and the budget of the customer.

Gibbo.

800 in UFTM.

I forgot where I read it, but an account of a cab ride of a UK visitor in steam days there was a mention that it was Irish practice to leave the backplate unlagged.

Ulster_Transport_Museum,_Cultra,_Great_Southern_Railway_Locomotive_No_800,_Maedb_(02).jpg

• Agree 1
  • Informative 3

500 class cab 

Screenshot2024-08-035_37_58PM.png.a2df38d4b2193f78449916c479d8a7b2.png

44 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

800 in UFTM.

I forgot where I read it, but an account of a cab ride of a UK visitor in steam days there was a mention that it was Irish practice to leave the backplate unlagged.

Ulster_Transport_Museum,_Cultra,_Great_Southern_Railway_Locomotive_No_800,_Maedb_(02).jpg

Someone's after nicking the right handle wheel

• Funny 1

2 hours ago, minister_for_hardship said:

800 in UFTM.

"A Decade of Steam" on CIE in the Fifties" Donaldson,O'Neill,Mc Donnell published RPSI early 70s  William McDonnell operating manager Cork notes "The cab was big and roomy but even so rather warm,-one wonders  that, in such a well finished engine, the faceplate was not lagged" .

I don't recall seeing a lagged faceplate on a preserved steam loco (at least narrow gauge) in the UK

• Like 2
  • Agree 1
  • Informative 1

2 hours ago, GSR 800 said:

500 class cab 

Screenshot2024-08-035_37_58PM.png.a2df38d4b2193f78449916c479d8a7b2.png

Someone's after nicking the right handle wheel

Wonder if it was souvenired/robbed while sat at Thurles, Inchicore or Cultra?

From what I remember of a visit to Cultra in the 90s, some signalling displays were easily accessible and presumably damaged by the public and the kids were using Blanche as a climbing frame.

• Informative 1

4 minutes ago, minister_for_hardship said:

Wonder if it was souvenired/robbed while sat at Thurles, Inchicore or Cultra?

From what I remember of a visit to Cultra in the 90s, some signalling displays were easily accessible and presumably damaged by the public and the kids were using Blanche as a climbing frame.

It is possible it was one of the few parts of the locomotive taken off as scrapping began before sense prevailed. Her cab side windows and the brass frames disappeared and reappeared a few times on her. When in storage in Thurles in 1960, she had them. By 61 they were gone. She was still without when end to end with Macha in Inchicore in 63. She was returned to full order when sent up north, as seen when she was in storage at Adelaide in 64. Possible they were removed to prevent any sticky hands from getting a hold of them.

• Informative 1

Hi Folks,

It is my guess that on the majority of British locomotives as cabs became more commodious, boilers became larger and higher boiler pressures higher and therefore greater then the lagging of the doorplate became the norm. I do know that some North American railways removed lagging of the door plates in winter to keep the cabs warm, however the winter weather in parts of the USA and Canada is somewhat colder than Britain and Ireland.

Gibbo.

• Agree 1