Donegal railcars

Rate this topic

• 3 weeks later...
On 8/9/2024 at 1:25 AM, NorthWallDocker said:

Congratulations for your finds, Denis.  Now, perhaps, some Halling motor bogies....  

...and articulating them. If I recall correctly, the Anbrico arrangement between cab and passenger section was fixed, so the cab did not swing.

1 minute ago, Horsetan said:

...and articulating them. If I recall correctly, the Anbrico arrangement between cab and passenger section was fixed, so the cab did not swing.

They were separate and could thus be articulated... I had one of those kits for years (never got around to making it up, though, and I sold it a long time ago).

IMG_6490.jpg.796a80ba604db3aff36bca09a7ec0636.jpg

Anbrinco railcar assembled to resemble County Donegal No 19, the window detail on No 19 differed from No 20 and the Anbrinco kit.

I originally assembled the railcar to run on 009 with the cab and body as a single unit in accordance with the instructions, I fitted an N gauge Fleischmann 0-4-0T chassis fitted in place of the Anbrinco power bogie (bascially a drect replacement) and probably used a N gauge coach bogie for the trailing bogie.

I rebuilt the railcar about 30 years ago with the cab and body as separate units using a Fleischmann diesel shunter chassis mounted on Bemo HOm wheel sets (at some stage (1989?) I re-united the Fleischmann Maeffi loco 0-4-0T with its chassis and sold complete loco, somewhere along the way having discarded the Anbrinco power and trailing bogies possibly with wheelsets.

No 19 is due a mechanical rebuild/upgrade after 30 odd years if I ever get round to it.

One problem that cropped up when separating the cab and body into separate sections was that the metal had become quitte brittle and subject to damage since I originally assembled (glue) 10-15 years earlier and likely to require carefull handling at this stage!

The very noticeable joint between cab side and front may have been as a result of damage while I re-assembled the railcar or accidental damage at a later stage. 

• Like 3

Mike Chinery used to do a motor bogie complete with all the bits to convert the kit into a proper artic and very nice they were to having built 3  of them 19 and 20 plus one of the West Clare cars.The best motor bogie now would be one the Halling units which come various shapes and sizes as well as being to 12mm.The main detail differences between the two cars were the quarterlights on the trailers 19 having alternate ones whereas 20 had everyone as per the kit.The front cab windows both had the dividing strip on the righthand side when delivered  however 19 had what you could call a meeting of minds with buffers at Ballyshannon  caused by faulty brakes on a Swilly wagon it was towing hence the ban on Swilly wagons operating over the Donegal.It must of been quite a crunch as the buffers are merely the rails curved up vertically and later photos show them as being somewhat lessfollowing repairs she lost the window divider.Andy .

• Like 3