New loco fleet

Rate this topic

Found this article that says Irish Rail are considering buying Stadler Euro Dual electro-diesel locos similar to the Class 99 entering service in England, apparently to replace the 071s and 201s.

Didn't think the 201s need replacing (the 071s are good too but I suppose they are almost 50) but here we are; either way, the article's worth a read.

• Like 2
  • Informative 3

5 hours ago, Branchline121 said:

Found this article that says Irish Rail are considering buying Stadler Euro Dual electro-diesel locos similar to the Class 99 entering service in England, apparently to replace the 071s and 201s.

Didn't think the 201s need replacing (the 071s are good too but I suppose they are almost 50) but here we are; either way, the article's worth a read.

It would make sense considering Stadler is in the running for the new Enterprise also. It probably won't be for around a decade, the 071s would be approaching 60!

• Like 1
  • Agree 1

I think the max operating speed of the 99s is only 120kmh so I think it’s safe to see that once the 201s and 071s have gracefully bowed out, Irish Rail see that being the end to loco hauled services on the island. EMU/BMU’s seem like the likely future for the Belfast and Cork services especially if 200kmh speeds are the plan! A sad end but really an inevitable move with the times. Any word on the new Enterprise tender by the way? Last I heard, they’d narrowed it down to 2 bidders…!

• Like 1

1 hour ago, 226 Abhann na Suire said:

I think the max operating speed of the 99s is only 120kmh so I think it’s safe to see that once the 201s and 071s have gracefully bowed out, Irish Rail see that being the end to loco hauled services on the island. EMU/BMU’s seem like the likely future for the Belfast and Cork services especially if 200kmh speeds are the plan! A sad end but really an inevitable move with the times. Any word on the new Enterprise tender by the way? Last I heard, they’d narrowed it down to 2 bidders…!

100%, yes. I recall similar conversations about the total, final, end of steam in the 1960s.... and we all moved on! With nothing but freight and PW work almost certain to be ahead of any locomotives, one wonders how many they would buy, and would NIR have a couple of their own, or just borrow from IE when needed?

Or - the unthinkable; a resumption of Belfast - Derry goods traffic? Timber from Donegal to Waterford?