What is that? (on an ebay photo)

Rate this question

Sentinel281

Question

Hello all,

I found a photo of a loco shed on ebay:

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/IRISH-IRELAND-RAILWAY-GNRI-COOTEHILL-ENGINE-SHED-CAVAN-PHOTOGRAPH-/350768693154?pt=UK_Collectables_Railwayana_RL&hash=item51ab717fa2

Can anyone of you tell me what is the thing in front of the shed? Is ist perhaps a cattle bank? This would be a nice situation to model, very compressed.

Thanks in advance

Gerhard.

17 answers to this question

Good question Gerhard!

Cattle pen is located to the south behind the goods shed. It looks like a loading bank for coal, where it would be shovelled in manually. I can't think of any other need for a mini-platform for locomotives only.....?:o:confused:

Cootehill2.jpg

Cootehill.jpg

Nice other shot here

odea14-58.jpg

Richie.

Thank you very much, it is indeed great to get help from gurus and supergurus :tumbsup:

Special thanks to Richie! This will cost me lots of time now, just discovered what "osi" means. Really a pot of gold so to say, as there are many more stations and their trackplans to discover! Now back to work...

There is a photo of the branch train a largish 0-6-0 and a pair of 6 wheelers at the platform in the late 1930s in the Great Northern Irish Railway Pictorial by Tom Ferris. Interestingly the running line is in light flatbottom rail and the run round loop in inside chaired bullhead a GNR specialty.

The branch joined the "main line" at Shantonagh Junction about 2 miles outside Ballybay which had similar style of station building with one of Glenderg's glass canopies on the platform, its was a bit unusual for a junction having a single main line platform and a bay for branch trains.

The Irish North seems to had its own character with stone built stations that could pass for churches or meeting halls.

The Irish North seems to had its own character with stone built stations that could pass for churches or meeting halls.

Yes, John, that's exactly what I also thougt when I saw the pictures of the station building. Thanks to Ciaran and Boskonay for the link and for the further information. As I am looking for a layout plan, I am really tempted. Looking at my models, the line would have to have stayed open for a longer time. Maybe a "as could have been layout". For modelling i think I would prefer a simpler, less ecclesiastic building. The advantage of the whole situation: The rural environment would perfectly fit to the requirements of my girlfriend, she wants to have a place for sheep. This would not work out with more urban areas or stations like Tarastreet or so...

Very much an impressive looking station indeed. Any station with a branch line or access line to a factory........or a sawmill in this case is always more interesting too. I've been looking at the old OSI map more in depth and I wonder is that well there in that field to this day? Probably overgrown though, if it is.

Stations in that area did seem to have their own look to them.

For modelling i think I would prefer a simpler, less ecclesiastic building.

There were several architects and their apprentices constantly trying to impress each other and corporate clients in Dublin with ever more spectacular victorian buildings. If you're looking for rugged, the GNR(I) is possibly not the best place to look. Some of the most impressive stations, even the tiny ones. Moira or Troooperslane for instance.

For rugged rural stations, you should look at some of the munster branches, cork, kerry, limerick, tipperary, waterford, and up along the east coast. Rugged beautiful buildings.To my mind the most Irish of all (understated that is) would have been Croom or Bruree in Limerick. The Midland buildings tend to have an "educated" quality to them, and even some of the small station heading West have quite elaborate waiting shelters and buildings, but don't generally go overboard on detailing.

Richie.

Very low platform! A unique modelling feature? The GSWR had a lot of these; check out just about any old pic of stations on the Cork line. When I first travelled a lot way down south in the mid 70s, Mallow still had these very low platforms, and it was only comparatively recently they were brought up to full height. Others were converted many many years ago. The modern H & S police would have kittens.

There were several architects and their apprentices constantly trying to impress each other and corporate clients in Dublin with ever more spectacular victorian buildings. If you're looking for rugged, the GNR(I) is possibly not the best place to look. Some of the most impressive stations, even the tiny ones. Moira or Troooperslane for instance.

For rugged rural stations, you should look at some of the munster branches, cork, kerry, limerick, tipperary, waterford, and up along the east coast. Rugged beautiful buildings.To my mind the most Irish of all (understated that is) would have been Croom or Bruree in Limerick. The Midland buildings tend to have an "educated" quality to them, and even some of the small station heading West have quite elaborate waiting shelters and buildings, but don't generally go overboard on detailing.

Richie.

For the early companies there was quite an element of the railways trying to convince the gentry that their particular company was a safe investment, with particulary showy architecture in the 1840&50

The GSWR went if for particulary showy architcture and engaged a prominent English Architect Sancton Wood to design Kingsbridge, Inchacore and most of the gothic Stations on the lines to Thurles and Carlow.

The MGWRs went in for very solid plain terminals at Broadstone and Galway smaller main line stations like Athenry Killucan and Moate were designed like miniature Georgian villas.

In the late 1850-60 George Wilkinson who previously designed Workhouses designed stations for several railways including the Midland Sligo & Cavan lines, DWWR main line and GSWR Clara, Athlone and Nenagh. These forbidding buildings fitted in with the Midlands general attitude to the promoters of branch lines and 3rd Class passengers.

The MGWR insissted on a high standard of engineering and really solid buildings on its branch lines, while the GSWR was happy with steep grades and simple Corrugated Iron or Concrete Block buildings on lines like Valentia, or Tullow.

Most of the local companies were funded by the local gentry and merchant families. The Fermoy Lismore line was financed by the Duke of Devonshire and Fermoy had a suitably imposing station complete with overall roof. Woodlawn on the Midland seeems to have been built to serve the nearby big house than Kilconnel while a private station was provided on the Sligo Road for one of the Midland Direcctors.