Campbell Riverside

Rate this topic

This is one on my current on-going projects. The track plan is based on an 0 gauge layout called Swansea Riverside which was built by a member of the Luton Model railway club of which I am a former member. After seeing this layout, it was thought a good idea to try and replicate the plan in different scales and era's, I believe there that there are versions in 00 and N gauge and even one in Z gauge.

My version is Canadian/US based, set somewhere in Canada near the US border but not set in any particular location or era, there is a mix of locomotives from various railroads that use the fuelling and light maintenance facilities at Campbell Riverside.

The scenic part of the layout is 6' x 1' and is on two boards for easy transportation. It is DCC operated and at present one loco is sound fitted.

R'side3.jpg

R'side2.jpg

R'side1.jpg

• Like 3

• 1 year later...

After several months in storage I finally got the layout out from loft yesterday afternoon, made temporary connection with DCC controller and test run a loco, all worked fine, and the Seep point motors had not seized up either. So next job a bit of general cleaning ,and try and work on the back scene, and tidy up the baseboard edges. Should keep me busy for a while.

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Hi, Here are a couple of pictures of Campbell Riverside being exhibited at the Midlands Model Railway exhibition in Portlaoise on 14th September. Was a very great and enjoyable day.

Must give thanks to the lads at the Midlands Model Railway Club for giving me the chance to exhibit Campbell Riverside.

1410706185067.jpg

1410706154920.jpg

• Like 2

• 4 months later...

Hi all,

Here are a few pics of my Campbell Riverside layout at the Portlaoise last September (14th). The following weekend 20th September I took it to the Erne model railway clubs exhibition in Enniskillen. Apologies if I have already posted some of these pics.

Regards

1410684359114.jpg

1410684345560.jpg

1410706185067.jpg

1410706154920.jpg

• Like 1

One area of improvement that I feel is needed on Campbell Riverside is some form of lighting pelmet. As I have seen mentioned in other forums, exhibition halls vary in the lighting available and also where you are located with your layout makes a big difference. Another plan I have in mind is to possibly make the single track high level road extend into the fiddle yard and through the back scène to the back of the layout, the idea being to have a loco or short train shuttling back and forth using a time delay. This would ensure that there is always something running on the layout, irrespective of any operation on the main scene.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
Saw this yesterday, Nice little layout, DCC sound, Loads of Shunting and some fantastic range of locos! Got to see the Kaydees in action! Nice chatting to you yesterday!

Thanks for your kind comments George. I'm looking into making a few minor improvements for future shows. One that I want to work on soon is to extend the current dummy single high level line into the fiddle yard and behind the main back scene, then using an auto shuttle system will have a railcar or loco and caboose running back and forth. This will then ensure that something is always running if I'm on a break or talking to any viewers.

• Like 1

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...

I have started to make a few alterations to Campbell Riverside, The dummy single high level track has been lifted up and is in the process of being re-laid with an extension into the fiddle yard and also behind the back scene. This will then be operated by an auto shuttle module ( from Gaugemaster) and so that a loco will shuttle back and forth in addition to the shunting moves on the main layout. Also it will ensure that something is always running at exhibitions if I m on a break. Will try and post some pics soon of progress.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...

Hi all,

Here are some pics of the work in progress to the mods on Campbell Riverside, showing the work in progress. Since these pics were taken, all track has now been re-laid and the Gaugemaster auto shuttle been installed and tested. I have a little bit more work to do on the scenic side for 'view blocking' when the train's disappear through the back scene. Hope to be at Enniskillen on 19th Sept with Campbell Riverside. I hope to put some more pics of the completed work up in due course.

Regards

John

Rear baseboard extension.jpg

Clearance test 2.jpg

Clearnace test 1.jpg

CR Track lifting 1.jpg

CR Track lifting 2.jpg

Extension on test.jpg

• Like 1

• 4 months later...
  • 3 months later...

I have been working on some improvements to the backscene on Campbell Riverside. Will be exhibiting at the First Bangor Model Railway exhibition next weekend, Fri 27th and Sat 28th. If any members of this Forum are there, feel free to say Hi and have a chat.

Regards

John

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...