Staff snatcher in operation

Rate this topic

Great video -would love to see more. It would be interesting to see an updated version. Even though its only around 30 yrs ago, it looks primitive in places, like the control centre. I love your man giving hot box location !! Thanks for posting. Dave

Real time piece 1930 GSR electro mechanical lever frame possibly Heuston, mechanical staff exchange at Maynooth 121s on the Sligo, 1970s state of the art CTC with line side telephone, gantry crane controlled by whistle signals in the Lifting Shop at Inchacore.

Great to see this again! As a teenager I remember setting the staff in the machine for manys a train in Kilcock Station Cabin in the 1970's. I remember a story of one of the relief signalmen on duty in Kilcock setting the staff but decided to wait under the stairs instead of climbing it. The snatcher arm on the down passenger broke and hit him in the stomach. He survived but was out of work for many months afterwards. I must upload some photos of this! Thanks for posting.