Mk 3 Restaurant

Rate this topic

WRENNEIRE

Dave,

Mk3 diner had only one toilet on kitchen side pic 2,the other side had lockers for staff then they were removed in early 90s to put card phone in, there was never a window on this side of coach.

The door's at kitchen end are normal not plug for loading, the door's look over scale like off a mk4? your better sticking with a Hornby/Lima mk3 and get casts done of silver frames as the coaches are std english mk3 no different.

You have roof vents in middle of roof, irish had three above second white kitchen window for deep fat and grill.

Hornby do a 4 window diner R4339? not far off irishrail bar one window in kitchen which could be painted on,i picked up 4 from hattons for @60 quid last year just now need to paint and change toilet window as well on one side also hurst still do the Mir one in brass that was around a while back.

Rain water strip over doors, looks flat on model.

Killucan, i did that mk3. It was a prototype. The coach has a 0.25mm styrene machine cut overlay glued to it which has been baked in an oven at 115 degrees for one minute to get the tumbledown and tumblehome correct. I didn't think it would be put up here for public consumption. The ass end windows are wrong, because i cut them wrong. It was based on a mk3 lima restaurant coach and the roof is left as is. I have no photo of the real thing to compare.

Neither hornby nor mir do anything close to the real thing, and i'll happily put up the latest version of the same coach for your approval or comment. Richie

Edit - incidentally you failed to notice some of the good things about the model - like the custom 0.122mm windows with scale aluminimum trim, much sharper than anyone else does?

Edited by Glenderg

Richie, Dave ask what was wrong with coach just pointed out what I saw as I spent enough time working on them year's ago!

There's load's of pic on line of diners's and do you not think the nickel silver frames Des does would not finish off nicely

Your getting there AND I AM NOT HAVING A GO INCASE SOMEONE THINKS SO!!!

M.

Edited by Killucan2

• 1 year later...
This is a really nice coach, Richie. I was wondering if you have made any changes to the prototype and where I can get one in Supertrain?

[ATTACH=CONFIG]20698[/ATTACH]

That's the stock UK one dive. The Irish one has 4 main windows either side, so you're best bet is to start with a standard open, and blank off 4 window. I don't have any left in stock nor any donors to make one up :-(

Thanks for the update post there lads. It gave me the opportunity to take out mine and give it a lustful stroke (the mk3 buffet Richie did for me that is, you evil minded toads!)

Des, can you upload a picture of that one please? Tried to change the original attachment above. Think it looks well.

Edited by DiveController

That's the stock UK one dive. The Irish one has 4 main windows either side, so you're best bet is to start with a standard open, and blank off 4 window. I don't have any left in stock nor any donors to make one up :-(

Richie, hope you don't mind me asking, ( question from the uninitiated ) but is that the RIGHT version of the restaurant coach or what,

Thanks in advance

ps. If you blank the 4th window dos'nt that leave an unusual space on the end !

Hornby have in the last couple of years tooled up a 4 window Mark III rest. too. Still wrong for the Irish one, but not as wrong!

Kevin, you'll soon have correct MIR sides to do one in Supertrain! ;)

IMG_20151109_214331.jpg

Paul, this is what I meant by blanking off. Don't use a UK restaurant to make an irish one. Use a standard open, and blank off the four windows to the right on Both sides. The frosted windows are just placed over the flat sides.

IMG_20151109_214408.jpg

The lower roof in the photo is a UK restaurant roof, vent placement is all wrong. Again use a standard open coach, and you can put the right detail in as shown in the top photo.

Hope that helps. Rich.