Mk3's on Enterprise

Rate this topic

Flying Scotsman 4472

Clearance train would run on it's own not part of service train,there was a spl @86 which had a mix of 3mk3s plus 2 NIR mk2s I look up pics as there on the net.

I was thinking that myself but I wouldn't have thought a clearance run would have been put on the back of a normal service running at speed.

And most other people tend to help those who can't find, especially when it's such a simple request.

Did you ever consider that he may have seen photos online before but couldn't recall where? He was helpful, he said there was a special in the mid 80s, most likely answering the OP's question. In fact, he's been the most helpful poster on the thread so enough with the Killucan bashing please :D

Did you ever consider that he may have seen photos online before but couldn't recall where? He was helpful, he said there was a special in the mid 80s, most likely answering the OP's question. In fact, he's been the most helpful poster on the thread so enough with the Killucan bashing please :D

No one's bashing anyone here, David. But if he couldn't remember, he could have said so instead of responding with a vague, unhelpful reply which could also be viewed as rude.

Just beat me to it David. In June 1985 the Permanent Way Institution held its annual summer convention in Portrush. One of the excursions that delegates could go on was to Dublin where they visited the CTC Centre and an exhibition of permanent way equipment in what is now the car park at Connolly. The PWI delegates travelled in the MkIIIs from Portrush to Lisburn as a special train (not sure what hauled it - could have been the CIÉ loco which had worked the empty stock from Dublin to Portrush). At Lisburn the MkIIIs were attached to the rear of the 09:00 ex-Belfast for the journey to Dublin. As far as I remembered the delegates returned to Belfast and on to Portrush on regular trains and the CIÉ stock did not go back north.

Anthony, the original video is wrongly dated December 1984 and is in fact a compilation of cine films taken by Barry Pickup over a number of years. JHB, unlike the times when Cravens were attached to the back of a MkIId set and were locked off, there was no problem running NIR MkIIs and CIÉ MkIIIs together as the brakes, couplers and gangways were compatible. Railer, the MkIIIs were at the back of the train because it was more straight forward to do it that way in Lisburn. To put the MkIIIs at the front of the train would have required a lot more shunting, with resulting delays to the 09:00 service. I reckon that the photo linked to in David's earlier post (# 7) was the trial trip for the June special and would have operated without passengers in any part of the train.

Interesting, josefstadt (and others)....

I think it was an 071 that hauled that PWI train. Jhb171-senior was on it (as a PWI member; probably the oldest surviving PWI (Irish Branch) member there is, having started his working life on the GSR!) He took pictures of the train in Lisburn. Must try to dig them out....

Not easy, in the middle of a house move, but we'll see!!!!

Barry also confirmed the above this evening, my original thoughts were that it might have been something MRSI although they did not come into existence until the late 1980s, at least sometime after that trip to Portrush, so it had to have been some other organisation, it being the clip largely out of sequence in the lot.

looked at video again im not convinced they are mk3,s NIR mk2,s never ran with mk3,s and certainly not on a passenger train.

Sorry to contradict you 73.River.Roe, but NIR MkIIs and CIÉ MkIIIs did run together in 1985 as outlined in my previous post. See also the pictures which were linked to by David in post # 18 and Killucan2 in post # 21. I have a photo of the 09:00 ex-Belfast with the MkIIIs for the PWI special attached, taken at Rogerstown somewhere and, if I can dig it out, I will post it.

Sorry to contradict you 73.River.Roe, but NIR MkIIs and CIÉ MkIIIs did run together in 1985 as outlined in my previous post. See also the pictures which were linked to by David in post # 18 and Killucan2 in post # 21. I have a photo of the 09:00 ex-Belfast with the MkIIIs for the PWI special attached, taken at Rogerstown somewhere and, if I can dig it out, I will post it.

Tks Stephen,need to catch up with you!

Didn't know that, how did that work with NIR stock being shunt released at Connolly as not all CIE GMs had their air brakes commissioned before the Mk3 entered service.

Presumably they just made sure it was a loco with the A after it's number that did it.

• 3 weeks later...