Old Lima Class A - what's it worth ?

Rate this question

aramand

Question

Hi,

Well its been a long time since I've been on here but I was around back when this forum started I think so 'Hi' to anyone who remembers me - hope ye are all well! Anyway my plans for building a layout took a back seat for the last couple of years so I've not been active at all. I was going through my stock just to see what I had and decide what to do with it, I might try build a small layout at some point in the future but for now the stock needs to move from the room it was being stored in.

The question really is of all the stuff I have the only one I know very little about is a vintage Lima Class A (I think!!) - at one point I was wondering was it just a repaint but I think it might have been an official release. Anyone know anything about these ? There is no model number that I can see and I don't have a box so all that is on it is 'Lima Italy' underneath.

I put a DCC chip into it a couple of years ago and it runs very well now. As with all my stuff I'm trying to decide whether to keep it or move it on but if I was to sell this I've no idea if its worth €20, €50 or stick it on ebay as 'rare' for €500 :D

BTW I can't remember exactly but I think I paid around €50 for it couple of years ago.

Photo 16-09-2014 10 21 10.jpg

Photo 16-09-2014 10 20 23.jpg

Photo 16-09-2014 10 20 34.jpg

If my old Lima 33s ran as well as the video below, I might consider hacking them to look more like A class (i.e. change windows and buffer beam), but they run like 1970s toy rubbish so I just would not be bothered. These babes below purr like GM cats and crawl like cats about to pounce! :) Running is important.

True Noe, and look at how much like the prototype the look. Both the accuracy and the fans of superb running are catered for. Everyone is happy.

Rich,

Noel I understand and respect your opinion. I would fight for the right of everyone on here to be able to have their opinion and their voices listened to, even if I didn't agree with that opinion. The SF A Class can't be compared to a top link MM model as it isn't an injection plastic molded model. SF chose to put that chassis under their rtr models and they are inaccurate and awful when compared to an MM chassis.

There are lot's of inaccuracies in the body shape and the cab front on the SF model. So much so that SSM released some etches to improve it. Saying the SF model looks like a duck is in my opinion like looking at a duck with no beak when compared to a MM 141-181 or 071. The dimensions are so critical and can make or break a model, and it has done so in the past for some manufacturers. I remember Bachmann threatening Rail Express with legal action for their review of the 37. In the end Bachmann retooled the model and now have a healthy relationship with Rail Express even down to producing ltd editions for the magazine,

Rich,

Hi Rich. I am with you on virtually all of the above. I wouldn't put the SF on the same page as MM. Despite its weaknesses it does make a reasonable stab at resembling an A class unlike the Lima class 33 which looks nothing like an A class and should not be on the same planet as MM. Most resin and white metal kits can look pretty poor when finished compared to the accuracy and detail of high quality injection moulded plastic. However if the SF ran on a Bachmann center drive chassis one might forgive the lack of detail commonly found on injection moulded plastic models. Cheers. Noel

Guys, thanks for all your imput, I'm by no means a perfectionist, I just enjoy having my loco's run even if they do look like a duck but are actually a horse, as long as the colour looks right, weathering helps them to look nearly right, & all parts tweaked to make them look somewhat like the real thing then I'm happy, I just wish I had the skills to do what's necessary, & which may be possible to make the class 33 look a bit more like the A class, utill then I'll run the class 33's painted, weathered, tweked just to keep me happy.

Guys, thanks for all your imput, I'm by no means a perfectionist, I just enjoy having my loco's run even if they do look like a duck but are actually a horse, as long as the colour looks right, weathering helps them to look nearly right, & all parts tweaked to make them look somewhat like the real thing then I'm happy, I just wish I had the skills to do what's necessary, & which may be possible to make the class 33 look a bit more like the A class, utill then I'll run the class 33's painted, weathered, tweked just to keep me happy.

Me neither. But having re-read my original thoughts below on Lima CL33, I guess there would be less work assembling an SF model then butchering one of my Lima CIE 33s which have hideous running chassis. Your Lima 33s look about 20 years younger than mine so I guess they may have better motor/drives than mine. Mine run so badly below 40% throttle they are unusable over points at low speeds.

"If I can re-chassis mine to co-co and run well, I may keep them and convert the front of the cab to look more like a 001 class. Convert to two windows, remove overhead cab box, put lights on facia above centre panel between windows, remove drip rail and put a buffer beam on each end. The doors will still be in the wrong position, but for nostalgia reasons it might be nice to retain locos from my childhood if I can get it to look half like a 001 class and run well enough for DCC."

In the final analysis I am very content for the time being with the MM locos I have, and happy to wait a number of years to see if precision motor/drive versions of 001 or 121 class emerge with MM quality plastic injection moulded body detail.

Hi,

I am currently in the process of converting one of those IR livered class 33's into a C class loco. Have removed the Lima pancake motor and started on the body work. I just received the A/C class detailing kit (Thanks Weshty) so I intend on replacing the grills, fans and front windows etc. I have been meaning to start a workbench thread on it. The main body work done so far is:

- shorten the chassis and body

- Fill side windows and remove roof vent details etc

- Move buffer beam

- Remove front windows and putty general shape of C class windows

It is the first model I have ever tried to modify, but I am taking it slow and it should "look right enough" when done I hope.

Hi,

I am currently in the process of converting one of those IR livered class 33's into a C class loco.

Good to hear somebody is taking the bull by the horns, although it does seem a shame to carve up a good IR liveried body.

If anybody is interested in having a go at a conversion, I have a number of scrap Lima Class 33 bodies just crying out to be converted. Just send me a PM.

Hi,

I am currently in the process of converting one of those IR livered class 33's into a C class loco. Have removed the Lima pancake motor and started on the body work. I just received the A/C class detailing kit (Thanks Weshty) so I intend on replacing the grills, fans and front windows etc. I have been meaning to start a workbench thread on it. The main body work done so far is:

- shorten the chassis and body

- Fill side windows and remove roof vent details etc

- Move buffer beam

- Remove front windows and putty general shape of C class windows

It is the first model I have ever tried to modify, but I am taking it slow and it should "look right enough" when done I hope.

OH robbie58, if you don't know by now just how many are looking forward to this, you soon will, I for one will be watching your progress, any chance of some pics, keep us informed anyway,

I agree it is a shame to carve up the old Lima liveries, but it was that or not do it at all for me. I model modern image (2000 onwards) so the C class was a bit spur of the moment. I didn't want to pick up a new 33 for it.

Have been doing this on and off since October, after just receiving the SSM brass bits, I'm a bit scared to try and put them on. Still lots of other bits to do on it. Not looking forward to painting either :P

SDC17853 Cropped.jpg

Thanks burnthebox, I can only imagine that the Heljan would result in a better model in the end. The Lima has no cab interiors, and the pancake motor makes it nearly impossible to place a convincing cab interior at one end, though I might have a go at least. Also the Heljan already has some handrails and details that were either only moulded on or missing from the Lima model.

I'll probably wire it DCC so lighting should be easy, as for DCC fitted most of the internal wiring is probably there already, just a few adjustments would need to be for the headlights, especially if modelling the later incarnation of the C class with headlight over the windscreens.

DCC sound is always a good thing too :)

robbie58, well done so far,as said glad you have grabbed the bul by the horn, & got going, so noŵ I have a question for you, where do's this leave my Heljan Class 33, DCC ready !

In my hands if you want to sell. PM me. :P

Robbie, are you going to shorten it to a prototypical C Class length?