Bulleid sugar beet open wagon

Rate this question

Junctionmad

Question

Im looking at building a rake of original non braked couugated bulleid wagons. Is there any suitable frame kit, that models the bulleid frame. Is there any close up pictures of the side frame, or are is there a wagon or two knocking around the system that I could examine.

ir maybe Im off to shapeways

dave

20 answers to this question

Crazy old coot is right but he left us with some memorable oddities.

Heres the patent for the triangulated underframe. I've a feeling i've a photo of a crash somewhere showing an open wagon on it's uppers revealing how it worked in practice.

http://worldwide.espacenet.com/publicationDetails/biblio?CC=GB&NR=584858

Willing to be corrected by the more knowledgeable, but the cradles on the weedspray tanks are triangulated underframes?

Heres the patent for the triangulated underframe. I've a feeling i've a photo of a crash somewhere showing an open wagon on it's uppers revealing how it worked in practice.

Willing to be corrected by the more knowledgeable, but the cradles on the weedspray tanks are triangulated underframes?

Just brilliant l are there any examples still around

Were they always fitted with instantor couplings

Thanks

Dave

Edited by Junctionmad

Careful, Richie:

I named my second son after the Great Man and for good reason.

When you've had the number of brilliant FAST runs behind his engines as I have, you wouldn't view him as crazy.

His misfortune was that he came to the top job fairly late in life and so he had to put everything into one roll of the dice - so the original pacifics had many unproven ideas which he thought would work, but didn't have the time to spare to test fully - hence the oil-bath (NOT a good idea in the event and loathed by the fitters), steam operated fire doors (which the firemen loved) and electric lighting - there is a story that the Southern men used to roll into Exeter St David's and when they were sure plenty of Great Western men were watching, they'd switch on EVERY light on the engine - no smoking oil lamps for enginemen in Bulleid's world).

The Turf Burner wasn't his idea, it was the turf board which launched the project - in any event, he did little of the final design, that was done by two young engineers sent over on loan by BR. I can offer a talk on the truth behind the engine. I've met the man who rerally built the TB.

Finally, the pretty disastrous diesels - Bulleid favoured US manufacturers from the beginning. Like it or not, no-one builds diesel locos as well as the yanks. It took Britain a long time to figure that out - they should have paid more attention to the Irish scene?

Leslie

TRIANGULATED CHASSIS

Well done Richie finding that patent. I note that it was taken out jointly with Lionel Lynes, which made me wonder who is was.

The internet helped but it was "Bulleid of the Southern" (naturally in my library!) which gave the answer. Lynes was Bulleid's wagon Chief Draughtsman on the Southern and they originally jointly patented the chassis in 1944-45. The one you highlight is an update.

While Lynes had no Irish connection that I can easily see, he was recruited (from Swindon) by Richard Maunsell when he joined the SE&CR from INCHICORE.

You mention whether some recently-used wagons had a triangulated chassis - it does make me wonder just how many Irish wagons ended up being built with them.

So, I've got my researchers working on that!

Leslie

Are the Park Royal underframes meant to be of the same sort of, "triangular," idea as the 20t chassis?

Most of the coaches built from the Mid-1950s to Bulleid's departure including some MK2 Bredins, all the Park Royals & Laminates had triangulated underframes,

The idea seems to have been dropped after Bulleid's departure wagons/coaches built from the 60s onwards had conventional underframes.

The solebars curve inwards in the area around the bogie pivots.

scan0147.jpg

David Malone a pioneering 21mm S4 modeller has built a "hooded van" with a representation of a triangulated underframe and full springing

DM041633 (2).jpg

Hooded Van with Bulleid underframe photo © David Malone

Most of the coaches built from the Mid-1950s to Bulleid's departure including some MK2 Bredins, all the Park Royals & Laminates had triangulated underframes,

The idea seems to have been dropped after Bulleid's departure wagons/coaches built from the 60s onwards had conventional underframes.

-----------

The 26001 series vans, introduced in 1964 would seem to have been the last built on the triangulated chassis.

Did the Blessed Oliver really dictate that wagons should be built on his patented chassis design and then, presumably, collect the royalties?