My new layout

Rate this topic

Dave

So after a year and a half of getting nothing done on getting my shed built because of an extension and attic conversion so I have decided to build a portable layout until I build the shed.

It will be 3300mm long x 1500mm wide in 3 sections.

I will be able to take it to shows so people can see it progress, I will be fitting the points with servo motors and trying out a new control system.

Points will be controlled by DCC and analogue switches. The DCC module can control up to 192 points!

It's an all freight layout with an container terminal. It will also be able to link into the modular baseboard system.

I would welcome and ideas on the track plan.

Now to get a baseboard.......

My layout.jpg

So after a year and a half of getting nothing done on getting my shed built because of an extension and attic conversion so I have decided to build a portable layout until I build the shed.

It will be 3300mm long x 1500mm wide in 3 sections.

I will be able to take it to shows so people can see it progress, I will be fitting the points with servo motors and trying out a new control system.

Points will be controlled by DCC and analogue switches. The DCC module can control up to 192 points!

It's an all freight layout with an container terminal. It will also be able to link into the modular baseboard system.

I would welcome and ideas on the track plan.

Now to get a baseboard.......

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16663[/ATTACH]

Looks like a great project to sink your teeth into until the shed is sorted. Nice track plan too. I'm interested in the points because I hate the idea of controlling points by typing silly numbers into a key pad, but love the idea of also having analog lever switches to control the points even if DCC is the means of transmitting the change of states. Lever switches offer the playability and tactile feel of a signal box, and most importantly visual feedback as to how how roads, points and signals are set. Having a few clusters of point lever switches like a mini signal box also has the advantage that they can be sited near the yards they will control. I see you have a turn table, is that for steam ops, or for turning future 121s? If the former, could I suggest considering direct access to the TT without having to enter the shed, or route via an ash pit (e.g. end of day steam loco shunted to ash pit for cool down and servicing, before recoaling, rewatering and returning to shed ready for next days service). Anyway looking forward to seeing it develop. Like the spur for modular hookup.

Thanks lads, Noel made an adjustment to allow easier access to the turn table.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16665[/ATTACH]

Nice looking layout with a lot of operating potential.As a suggestion,if you have room,run another point from the head shunt back towards the container terminals,making it 3 roads.For an all freight operation layout,that would add a lot more shunting operations to it.

Looks like fun Dave, and will be a right stunner to your standards!!

If it were me I'd probably move the left point to the container terminal right back to after the right point to the shed, and either do away with the headshunt or use it as a pilot parking spot, then use the main loop back to the sidings as a headshunt to make up container trains from the two terminal roads...

Nice looking layout with a lot of operating potential.As a suggestion,if you have room,run another point from the head shunt back towards the container terminals,making it 3 roads.For an all freight operation layout,that would add a lot more shunting operations to it.

How about this

My layout REV2.jpg

How about this

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16671[/ATTACH]

Yes,that what I had in mind.

Bos-I can see where you are coming from,the only drawback that I would foresee,is it would impact movement from loco's coming from the loco sheds.With a layout with exhibition in mind,the head shunt allows for the shunting operations with the loco sheds free for other movements on and off the layout,helps keep the viewing public interested.

Looks like fun Dave, and will be a right stunner to your standards!!

If it were me I'd probably move the left point to the container terminal right back to after the right point to the shed, and either do away with the headshunt or use it as a pilot parking spot, then use the main loop back to the sidings as a headshunt to make up container trains from the two terminal roads...

Should be a fun layout, I want to be able to do a lot of shunting as well as watch trains running. I won't be able to leave it up all the time as the only spare space is the work shop. But it won't take long to assemble and when I am setting it up in the workshop it won't need legs as it will sit on the assembly bench.

Made some changes as per your suggestion and it looks much better.

My layout REV3.jpg

Would the storage sidings be more practical if access was from one end, thus allowing you to stable a long train? ..... if that makes sense...

The storage sidings are just for locos and short freight trains. Given the size of the layout and space around the container terminal I won't be running long trains.

Added in a head shunt, it's a bit out of the way but should be ok.

[ATTACH=CONFIG]16674[/ATTACH]

Dave-hope I am not being a pest,but if you change the points back with the right hand first to the loco sheds and the left hand second to the container terminal,that gives the container line a bit more length,then coming off that line,if you change the crossover points for a double slip,it would give access to 2 of the container tracks to the headshunt.

Dave, a few suggestions:

1) you now have the same problem with the refueling point as you had with the turntable originally - i.e. a loco has to go into the shed to access it. Change the turnout 'A' to a three-way one and the refueling point can be accessed without going into the shed. Or move the refueling point to 'D'

2) In the container terminal you need a engine release road. Put turnout(s) 'B' and a headshunt at the right-hand end of the terminal to connect the two (or as has been suggested previously) three tracks. At the left-had end of the terminal move the crossover to the left 'C'. If you go for three tracks then use a double slip instead of the upper of the two turnouts. Move the terminal area to the left so that it fits between the two sets of turnouts.

3) You will also need tracks running to both ends of the board if the layout is to be able to connect to the modular system. In a stand alone situation these could be sidings or maybe represent disused tracks. Then either remove the buffer stops (if sidings) of vegitation (if disused) to connect to next board.

Daves Layout 01.jpg

Looks most interesting, best of luck.

If it was me - and this is a constructive suggestion - I think if I was mostly interested in the locos coming and going, I'd have it much as you have, but if I was more interested in operations and shunting, possibly less loco sidings and at least 3, better 4, container roads.

If it's modern era, I'm presuming no steam. Any 121s would most likely be part of a "pair" with another, or a 141 or 181, so is a turntable needed?

All depends on your preferences for how you'd operate it. Good luck anyway, and doubtless you'll keep us posted.

I revised the drawing, lost the turn table as it will be all diesels so I can't see it being used. I also want to keep it fairly simple so the layout doesn't look over crowded with track. I am going to keep the two tracks into the container terminal with a run around shunt for locos.

Thanks for all the advise lads.

My layout REV4.jpg

Looking good Dave. Sensible to drop the turntable too if no steam ops. Forgive one minor suggestion, moving the fuel point to the 1st road rather than the 2nd so locos have direct access and tanker wagons can easily be shunted into to supply the fuel depot, if not supplied by road. Look forward to seeing the layout evolve.