Historical stuff

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

Wow! Presumably the same technology that has road vehicles moving on layouts? Under board magnets, is it?

So, in truth, it could actually be done on a layout, and if the thing had plastic wheels it wouldn't interfere with the track....

Interesting.

So I ordered some mini bicycles, to be delivered to me from Brosna Halt via the GSR. Looks like I need to collect my parcel.....

image.jpg

Senior was not impressed with them in his day, despite being a keen cyclist on stony unsurfaced roads in remote country areas like Ashtown and Stillorgan!

Here's how we got from A to B back in the day, back when Jesus was a child and pussy was a kitten......

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Edited by jhb171achill

And, more grey-loco haulage, without an 071 or a sperry train in sight:

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

......so there you are. Fun's over; time to get a 400 class 4.6.0 back to Dublin, then one of those GNR 4.4.0s if you're going to Belfast. You know that the GNR have just started painting their express locos BLUE! Pity there's no such thing as colour film, iphones or DVDs.

The LUAS Green Line in days of yore. No stops at Central Park, Balally, Kilmacud or any of those other Johnny-come-lately places. We're talking Old Dublin here.

Actually, we're not. Beyond the Grand Canal it's outer suburbs. Beyond Ranelagh it's la-la land, culchie land, beyond the Pale in places where only those of a rural disposition may be found......

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The interiors of some of these yokes had interesting layouts. And now all we have is centre-aisle railcars with no opening windows, which smell of the nearby unventilated humid toilet. Progress! Ha! De Deitrichs, Mk. 4's, the characterless Mk 2's.... Brel stuff...., MPDs, ICRs, CAFs, 2600s, Castles, yeah yeah........ All the same, says jhb171 the old fashioned philistine.

BREL products are to quality railway carriage design what McDonalds, pre-horsemeat-scare, was to fine gourmet dining. Derby own-brand Tesco versus Inchicore, Limerick, Dundalk and York Road quality and craftsmanship.

Rant over; here are the pics.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The year is 1952, you're the Locomotive Superintendent of the Sligo, Leitrim and Northern Counties Railway, and you're at your desk one morning when a letter arrives from a well-known railway photographer, who you know from his previous visits to the line. He's enquiring about the possibility of getting a nameplate from a scrapped locomotive, and is also wondering about the financial health of the railway. Here's your reply...

256u2q0.jpg

The year is 1952, you're the Locomotive Superintendent of the Sligo, Leitrim and Northern Counties Railway, and you're at your desk one morning when a letter arrives from a well-known railway photographer, who you know from his previous visits to the line. He's enquiring about the possibility of getting a nameplate from a scrapped locomotive, and is also wondering about the financial health of the railway. Here's your reply...

256u2q0.jpg

I was only a very small bump on me mother's tummy then!