Photographic Website Updates

Rate this topic

Biomass traffic? Tell me more. Are these wagons that were in storage, or just reconditioned/overhauled wagons that are currently in use?

Apparently there will be a Biomass train operating between Belview and Ballina sometime in the future. I saw a couple of those wagons up close in Kildare a few weeks ago and they look very pristine. One or two of them had those white steps over the buffers and the steel floors. Maybe these were used for permanent way work previously? IMAG0142.jpg

Morning all,

some photos taken at the Spring Steam Gala 2014 on the Severn Valley Railway on Saturday, 22 March:

GWR 4900 Class #4930 "Hagley Hall" near Hampton Loade:

13389564013_88031184dc_n.jpg

GWR 7800 Class #7812 "Erlestoke Manor" with a goods train near Hampton Loade:

13389782904_5f962334af_n.jpg

GWR 4500 Class #4566 arriving into Bridgnorth:

13389405315_e05c1e90ab_n.jpg

Victoria Bridge:

13389763214_c70a7a8fed_n.jpg

Autotrain departing Bridgnorth:

13389551543_de424fed40_n.jpg

Finbarr.

Surely there is a very simple reason why Ballina is the freight capital of Ireland, namely the road network. On the western side of the country, the limit of the motorway network is a line from Dublin to Galway. That's why Sligo should also be on the freight network. All the infrastructure is there, the line is cleared for 201 operation, we just need an operator bold enough to take the step….

Stephen

Keep up at the back folks. :)

Yes Biomass traffic and as far as I know its North Wall - Ballina via IWT.

I thought it was operating from Waterford. Is there any other freight flow starting up in Belview as I heard there will be an increase in rail freight traffic there?

Surely there is a very simple reason why Ballina is the freight capital of Ireland, namely the road network. On the western side of the country, the limit of the motorway network is a line from Dublin to Galway. That's why Sligo should also be on the freight network. All the infrastructure is there, the line is cleared for 201 operation, we just need an operator bold enough to take the step….

Stephen

Not necessarily the roads. I know that coca-cola have a policy of using rail freight where possible as its part of their 'we're kind to the environment' corporate policy. Though I've no doubt it's also very cost effective to run one train as opposed to 20 trucks.

From my experience the service with IWT seems to be on a par if your shipping a 20ft but slightly more expensive (about €20) for a 40ft than road haulage. On a full container of products worth thousands of euro thats not really too much and chances are the logistics companies using the service would absorb the extra cost.

The transit time is also slightly longer than using direct road freight to the customers door.

Both these would be as expected but things may swing in rail's favour if theres any increase in road transport costs.

Some updates from me over the last couple of days:

Friday 28th March 2014 photos start at http://smu.gs/1dOEV5B

- 2813 + 2814 hauling 2708 + 2707 from Limerick to Inchicore for storage. Pictured at Portarlington.

- 29010 at M3 Parkway before departure of the 1338 to Clonsilla.

- Kilmessan Station House Hotel on the closed line between M3 Parkway and Navan. The station buildings were converted into an hotel in the 1980's.

Tuesday 1st April 2014 photos start at http://smu.gs/1iaDWdk

- 2813 + 2814 hauling 2715 + 2724 from Limerick to Inchicore for storage. Pictured at Killenard. Plus a couple of 22000 units.

Alternatively, click on to go to the 2014 folder and access March and April from there. The latest March pictures begin at picture 120.

DSC_3866-M.jpg

Enjoy:)

The Wanderer.

Evening all,

GM's 082 and 217 shared the duties of hauling the Sperry train around East Cork today:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/finnyus/

Midleton station photos courtesy of Malcolm St

13568000494_714c27aff6_n.jpg

Enjoy,

F.

I can't believe I missed it again, will it be doing the cobh line tomorrow or has that been done as well? Is it parked up in Kent for the night?

Evening all,

Some pictures from the last couple of days.

Thursday:

- 221 1900 Heuston - Cork at Killinure.

Saturday:

- A visit to the former Birr Station which closed on New Years Day 1963. The Station Building is now a private resident, while the Goods shed is home to some local businesses.

- Saturday afternoon has pictures from Carn Bridge & Killinure, including 086 on the Belview (Waterford) - Portlaoise Steel Train.

Pictures begin at http://smu.gs/1lJc5WZ

DSC_4422-M.jpg

The Wanderer.

Good morning folks,

Some pictures from last night at Heuston & Howth. The visit to Howth was to see 082 and the Sperry Train at this normal EMU outpost.

Pictures begin at 22037 stands at Heuston shortly after arriving with the 1920 ex Galway. It would be stabled overnight at Heuston. Wed 09.04.14

Finally, I have been given a photograph of 082 passing Grand Canal Dock with the Sperry train to Wexford last Friday 4th April. This can be seen earlier in the April collection at 082 hauls the Sperry Train past Grand Canal Dock with the 0940 Heuston - Wexford working. Fri 04.04.14

DSC_4484-M.jpg

Enjoy,

The Wanderer.

Good morning all,

The first pictures from my current UK trip are now online at http://smu.gs/1iAg9m0

Day one was a circular trip was a circular trip starting off in Holyhead. Then Crewe - London - Exeter - Bristol Temple Meads - Cardiff - Shrewsbury - Crewe.

The pictures include a number of freight trains in the Cardiff area with Class 60's and 66's.

DSC_4617-M.jpg

The Wanderer.

Morning all,

Some photographs taken last weekend:

GN 85 "Merlin" leaving Whitehead for Portadown:

13852767835_d2af85f219_n.jpg

GSR no. 461 passing the former station at Dromin Junction, between Dundalk and Drogheda with one of the "Boyne" shuttles:

13852760245_058f798a15_n.jpg

GSR no. 461 at the closed station at Mosney:

13831139965_0838e9ca90_n.jpg

F.

A few pics from Roma Termini and Florence from my recent and long overdue holiday(!). Termini is a bit of a bugger for taking pics in with the shadows, especially with a phone! Anyway might be of interest to some.

Travelled on this to Florence ETR 500 Frecciarossa at Firenze Santa Maria Novella was one of the nicest trains I've ever been on. Comfortable, fast and stylish. Very impressive. Came back on one of these ETR 600 Roma Termini 2 not quite as nice but very impressive all the same.

Full set

Edited by Warbonnet

Afternoon all,

I've finally got around to posting the Saturday & Sunday pictures of my UK trip last week. Please click to access the galleries for each day.

Saturday:

Highlights include:

- Steam Locomotive Tornardo on a Kings Cross - York Railtour.

- GEML Freight action from Manningtree & Ipswich.

- Pudding Mill Lane Station which closes next weekend.

DSC_5173-M.jpg

Sunday:

Pictures from around London and then the trip back to Holyhead for the Ferry home.

DSC_5515-M.jpg

Also on Sunday, the London Transport Museum and London Underground operated the first farewell tour around the underground on a soon to be withdrawn C stock train. The following lines were visited on the tour - the Metropolitan line, part of the Piccadilly line, the District line and finishing on the Hammersmith and City line.

DSC_5438-M.jpg

Enjoy,

The Wanderer.

Morning all,

some photographs taken last Sunday: https://www.flickr.com/photos/finnyus/

Includes:

- 29000 Class railcar #18 in Newry on a SLW exercise

- 4000 Class railcar in Whitehead

- GN 85 "Merlin" at Whitehead & Portadown

- GM's 209 & 227 on Enterprise duties

- 077 at Dundalk

- 081 with the RPSI Cravens at Connolly