Murphy v. Heljan

Rate this topic

richrua

Alright lads and laddies. Obviously I may be a bit biased . but here goes!

I was tempted to buy a Heljan Deltic DP2 prototype as they were going cheap. Got it home. First impressions were v. good. Great detail. Wipers tiny etc. Very smooth runner. However, It nearly drove me mental in an hour with the amount of times it derailed itself. To the point where I flogged it after only two days of ownership.

Seemingly the wheels are so fine and accurate this is a common problem .

So. Led me to a train of thought. I have had zero problems with any Murphy Models loco. I have never had a similar priced loco to compare one to, but my foray into heljan has been disappointing. If i had paid full price it would have been as dear as a 201.

The point i think is that MM seem to have the balance right. Detailed models that also run extremely well. By comparison the Heljan DP2 is an expensive display model rather than a running model. Pity.

I was tempted to buy a Heljan Deltic DP2 prototype as they were going cheap. Got it home. First impressions were v. good. Great detail. Wipers tiny etc. Very smooth runner. However, It nearly drove me mental in an hour with the amount of times it derailed itself. To the point where I flogged it after only two days of ownership.

So. Led me to a train of thought. I have had zero problems with any Murphy Models loco. I have never had a similar priced loco to compare one to, but my foray into heljan has been disappointing. If i had paid full price it would have been as dear as a 201.

The point i think is that MM seem to have the balance right. Detailed models that also run extremely well. By comparison the Heljan DP2 is an expensive display model rather than a running model. Pity.

Have around 25 heljan locos myself and all are beautiful runners. One of which is DP2 which I've not had problems with so far but radius of curves may play a part. Only problem I've had is with the hattons garratt which is a pity as it was the most impressive Brit outline steam loco I've ever seen running until one of the motors burned out! Still, occasional issues can happen and it was replaced so I was happy enough.

Mind you I watched a 141 run the other night and they're fabulous runners. One of the best. I've been less than impressed with the 201s but that's just me.

Murphy Models are not all perfect. A 201 recently purchased kept throwing itself off the rails every time it came to a set of points whilst travelling with one particular end leading. Investigations revealed, with the help of a back-to-back wheel gauge, that the leading wheels of one bogie were almost 1mm over gauge. This was easily cured by removing the offending wheel set and pressing the wheels in till the correct back-to-back was achieved.

OK fair comments lads. To be honest i was surprised at the DP2 derailments. Perhaps i got a dud, but a web search confirmed my opinion. I am glad to hear that not all Heljan are like this as it really was a nice model, great weight to it and detail, but I need trains that will run. As i said, the track radius is all 3rd and 4th, but the Heljan was throwing itself off at points and everywhere.

Hattons commissioned Heljan to produce the UK class 28, which was a Metropolitan Vickers loco, which was originally manufactured around the same time as, and was related to, the A class. To me at least it looks like a fine model.

http://www.ehattons.com/33376/Heljan_2801_Class_28_Co_Bo_Diesel_D5705_BR_Green_with_Small_Yellow_Panels_as_preserved_/StockDetail.aspx

. . . Mind you I watched a 141 run the other night and they're fabulous runners. One of the best. I've been less than impressed with the 201s but that's just me.

Ditto. The MM 141s are the best runners I've ever seen. Our sole 201 will remain single example as it is not on the same page as the 141s as a runner. It's also a very long scale model for many layouts curves and especially curved platforms. I've wondered if there is a Heljan model that might make a donor chassis for a SF A class kit. The under frame just needs to be co-co and the right length front axel to front axel, don't care as much about the scale accuracy of the bogie side frames, fuel tank, etc.

yea i like the class 28. but the DP2 has made me nervy about 6 wheel bogies. Thanks. Thanks warbonnet for the list too.

The 28 doesn't have the same fine scale wheel sets DP2 has (I have both). It's throughly recommended and if you're disappointed with it I'll take it off your hands ;). Under frame detail is a tad fragile but beautifully done so be careful!

I've wondered if there is a Heljan model that might make a donor chassis for a SF A class kit. The under frame just needs to be co-co and the right length front axel to front axel, don't care as much about the scale accuracy of the bogie side frames, fuel tank, etc.

You won't find a Heljan loco that will be suitable without performing some surgery on it.

One idea I had was to use a Heljan drive mechanism and bogies but you would need to scratchbuild a chassis. Howes models sell all the parts needed, see this link - http://www.howesmodels.co.uk/category/'OO'%20General%20spares

The bogies come without wheelsets but they are available on the next page.

well the 141s are really bachmann, not Murphy aren't they?

A couple of my 201s are terrible runners and struggle badly on the club layout whereas the 141s will pull twice the loads with no problems. One of the 201 needs a whole gear tower stripped and redone and I haven't even bothered to figure out the other, it's just goen back in it's box until I've a home layout to figure it out on.