Modeller's visit to the Downpatrick & Co Down Railway

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

Folks

With an eye on other threads relating to working heritage diesels and MGWR carriages, I will organise a tour of the railway, incorporating a trip over the line, on a date which suits the majority of whoever is interested.

The purpose will be to allow "behind-the-scenes" access to all areas to facilitate photography, measuring and general research into all that is there for modelling purposes. This would incorporate locomotives, rolling stock, the signal box, and station buildings. Even "yellow machines".

Depending on numbers, we'll arrange transport accordingly. The only cost apart from sharing petrol will be a £6 (€8) admission the the railway.

If it's of any interest? Date to be confirmed, but probably some time in June, as I'll be up to my eyes after that.

I would envisage meeting in Dublin, picking up in Drogheda, Dundalk and Newry, and joining with anyone from Belfast. If the numbers are just one or two and all in Lisburn / Belfast area, I can arrange pick up there too.

Edited by jhb171achill

Folks

With an eye on other threads relating to working heritage diesels and MGWR carriages, I will organise a tour of the railway, incorporating a trip over the line, on a date which suits the majority of whoever is interested.

The purpose will be to allow "behind-the-scenes" access to all areas to facilitate photography, measuring and general research into all that is there for modelling purposes. This would incorporate locomotives, rolling stock, the signal box, and station buildings. Even "yellow machines".

Depending on numbers, we'll arrange transport accordingly. The only cost apart from sharing petrol will be a £6 (€8) admission the the railway.

If it's of any interest? Date to be confirmed, but probably some time in June, as I'll be up to my eyes after that.

I would envisage meeting in Dublin, picking up in Drogheda, Dundalk and Newry, and joining with anyone from Belfast. If the numbers are just one or two and all in Lisburn / Belfast area, I can arrange pick up there too.

PM me if interested.

Here's what I'm proposing, though it's not hard and fast. If a majority want it altered, or if anyone has any other suggestions for what they might like to see, please email me. For example, if we left earlier and got back a bit later, and were prepared to cough up a donation to the railway of maybe £10 / €15 each, an extra train might be possible with a requested loco as haulage. That would have to be firmed up nearer the time, though, as obviously allowance has to be made for the DCDR's ongoing maintenance and restoration programme.

IRISH RAILWAY MODELLER’S GROUP TOUR TO DCDR

Saturday 20th June 2015

The purpose of this trip is for a day out for IRM members, but also for the purpose of having a tailor-made day for modellers to photograph and measure for modelling purposes not only what’s immediately to be seen, but behind the scenes as well. As well as a journey behind diesel and steam (loco allocations permitting), and a possibility of footplate rides in the diesel, the day's events can be specifically arranged for measurement and detailed photography, as well as possible sound recordings.

Depart Dublin 0900

Arrive Downpatrick 1200

- Lunch

- Initial tour of shed to photograph locomotives being prepared for the day (probably steam No. 1 and either 146 or A39).

- 1400 train to Inch Abbey and back; 141 or A class haulage, depending on majority preference I will arrange. Cab rides possible depending on numbers. Return to Downpatrick at 1430.

- 1445 Steam train to Inch Abbey and back, returning to Downpatrick at 1515.

- Tour of loco sheds to see locos not in use on the day (steam No. 1, three “G” class, C231 and whichever main line diesel is not having a turn on the day. Also viewing the three-car NIR “Castle” class set and the railbus.

- Tour of carriage gallery to view steam No. 90 (ex GSWR “J30” class), fully restored BCDR coaches 148 (1897) and 72 (1905, the “Holywood Railmotor”). In addition, several other interesting preserved vehicles including two complete MGWR six-wheelers in unrestored state, allowing participants to view actual CIE green, GSR maroon, MGWR brown and MGWR blue paint.

- Tour of ex-NCC signal box.

Depart Downpatrick approximately 1730, with stop for food (optional!) en route back to Dublin. We should arrive back in Dublin at about 2030, including time for meal break en route. If the majority don’t need a break, then we’d be back about 30-45 minutes earlier.

For participants from Belfast area, bus to Downpatrick and meet up there at maybe 12? There’s an hourly service, which takes about an hour, so a bus at 1000 or 1100 would be about right.

Cost: €8 or £6, plus travel costs, all payable on the day, for the two return train trips plus all the rest. For those travelling from Dublin, Drogheda, Dundalk or Newry, a share of petrol money which will depend on how many are going.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

About ten have so far expressed an interest. If more do, it might be worthwhile to hire a minibus in Dublin, or perhaps two other members might volunteer to drive. For information, a typical car uses about €40 of petrol doing a return trip from Dublin to the Downs of Patrick. That's €8 a head and say €4 from Dundalk / Newry. I'm not sure what the bus fare is from Belfast, but the Translink website will, I am sure, be a mine of information on that one!

Edited by jhb171achill

Folks, we've 11 confirmed now including myself. One of our number has kindly offered a lift for up to 3 others from Belfast. Another of our number is coming from Derry, so some link up for anyone else up there might be possible. Six are (as far as I'm aware) from the greater Dublin area, so nearer the time when we confirm that all showing an interest are actually planning to go, we can perhaps organise a second car.

To hire a minibus for the day would be pricey unless we had maybe 25 people.

I'm thinking Saturday 20th June, though 27th might also be an option. Can we say 20th, unless anyone feels strongly otherwise?

Gentlemen

We're gathering in number. We now have two cars leaving Dublin, with 9 members from Dublin area (two driving including me). In the North, we have four members, two from Belfast area-ish having kindly offered to drive.

There are now 13 of us altogether. It will make for a fantastic day out. One of our number has requested A39 haulage. It will be a timetabled working day, but subject to availability of the loco I hope to be able to arrange that for either the 1400 or 1700 trains. Once it's nearer the time, we can finalise preferences by consensus as to whether we prefer to leave earlier, use the 1400 for diesel haulage, and get home earlier. or later all round using the "A" on the 1700.

Update; the probable modus operandi on the day will have steam (No. 1) on the 1400, 1445, 1530 and 1615 departures, and the 1700 will have either A39 (requested) or 146 in charge. This could change, so it can't be seen as a deal-breaker, as it were, but that's the plan.

So we'd probably leave Dublin mid or late morning, and on arrival via a lunch stop rendezvous, we can do our photography, measuring or travelling by steam first, as well as tours of loco shed, signal cabin and carriage gallery, finishing with cab rides on the A, hopefully. With (now) 14 of us, it won't be possible to accommodate all in the cab, but we will see what we can do.

Nearer the time, or following updates from DCDR's Operations Officer, I'll post updates.

• 4 weeks later...

Sorry to cut in on this thread but I am trying to arrange a similar trip to Downpatrick

from Wexford and have approx 18. Wexford Club Members and friends interested

I hope to conclude details for a date in July /Aug and if there are any interested people

in the Wexford area please contact me @ dheath@oceanfree.net the more we have the

lower the cost would be and please state whether Sat or Sunday

May I also ask for some help Who do you contact in Downpatrick I have sent an email

and am awaiting a reply

Many Many thanks

David Heath Wexford MRC

Hello David

Email me, and I will forward to the appropriate folks, or contact the railway and mark for the attention of Brian Goodfellow (Chairman) and Patricia McGrath.

I'm presuming 20th June doesn't suit you? If you were there that day, I could show you round with the other folks. On normal operational days, access to the running shed would be awkward.

Firstly, let me say that I am very unlikely to be able to do so, but if I, or indeed anyone else here, found that we could attend on the day, would it be alright to turn up at Downpatrick on the day, or is it only open to those who have arranged to go beforehand?

No probs, aclass, it's a public operating day, so anyone may travel. However, I am arranging behind-the-scenes visits to areas normally off-limits on an operating day, in order that modellers may take photos and examine anything they might want to model.

You are very welcome to join us there, on the day, but I would ask that if you plan to do so, PM me nearer the time and I'll advise you where to meet the rest of the group.

In the referendum, vote DCDR!

;-)

Hi Still have had no reply from anyone I phoned the number I had but it

was the local tourist office and they have had many complaints re contacts

with the D&CR I Have emailed Brian maybe he is away any help will gratefully

received We last visited the railway as a group in 2007

Many thanks

David

• 3 weeks later...

Could everyone intending to travel on Saturday to the DCDR let me have their names and email addresses, please, and I will try to coordinate transport for all.

I have arranged all-day travel for all, plus a supervised visit to areas normally out of bounds. Price will be about €10 max / £7.

Motive power will be O & K No. 1 on the following trains: 1400, 1445, 1530 and 1615. On the 1700 departure, and 1720 return from Inch Abbey, GM No. 146 is rostered.

Let me know your avaiability.

I'll circulate exact details on Thursday.

IRISH RAILWAY MODELLER GROUP - MODELLER’S VISIT TO DOWNPATRICK & CO. DOWN RAILWAY

Saturday 20th June 2015

Downpatrick is approximately two hours drive from Dublin. Head to Dundalk, then Newry, on the motorway, then into Newry town. From there, the way is signposted over the Mournes. See their website: http://www.downrail.co.uk/

I suggest that we arrange to meet at Downpatrick at 12:30. This will enable me to identify everyone and ensure we’re all in together, which in turn will assist in facilitating shed visits. Myself and another DCDR member will personally conduct these visits.

The timetable circular for the day is as follows:

__________________________________________________________________________________

Downpatrick Dep. 1230 1400 1445 1530 1610 1700 1745

Inch Abbey Arr. 1240 1410 1455 1540 1620 1710 1755

Inch Abbey Dep. 1300 1420 1505 1550 1630 1720 1815

Downpatrick Arr. 1310 1430 1515 1600 1640 1730 1825

(Trains in italics are empty stock / light engine movements)

The rostered locomotives for the day are: O & K No. 1 for the 1400, 1445, 1530 and 1615 trains, with GM No. 146 on the Empty Stock train at 1230, the 1700 passenger train and the ECS return at 1745.

__________________________________________________________________________________

Those arriving early will be able to watch whatever shunting is in progress prior to commencement of operations. When the 1815 ECS from Inch Abbey arrives, further shunting may take place.

In addition to the timetabled services, the Gallery will be open. This may be visited at your leisure during the day. This contains two MGWR six-wheelers, the three restored BCDR coaches including the Golfer’s Saloon and the Railmotor. GSWR No. 90 is also present there, as well as the NIR Railbus.

SHED VISITS will be arranged as follows:

1. At 1400, immediately after departure of the 1400 passenger train.

2. At 1445, immediately after departure of the 1445 passenger train

3. At 1610, immediately after departure of the 1610 passenger train.

Each visit must take place promptly at the times stated, as they involve crossing the main line track which is in use. Health and safety regulations will require the limitation of each visit to half an hour, as we must be back across the tracks before the incoming return train. If you wish to participate in two or all three visits in order to photograph or measure all you want to, that’s fine.

Opposite the station are both a chipper and a sandwich place. There’s a decent bar two minutes’ walk up the street. We can meet up after our visit to swop ideas and maybe have a bite to eat.

The DCDR can accept Euros and credit card payments.

You are encouraged to buy their tea and confectionery, to support the railway. Please also consider supporting their bookshop.

Please obey any directions given by DCDR staff at all times.

See you there!

jhb171achill

087 2828905 jhb171@gmail.com

Edited by jhb171achill

I've thrown together an A4 fold-up pocket booklet in PDF format, which can be printed out and may be useful to anyone taking part in Saturday's visit. It includes a copy of the timetable and much of the information provided by JHB above.

Here's the download link: https://www.mediafire.com/?n21fwpd1skgb2bp

And below is a preview...

116j4ed.jpg

Edited by Garfield

Excellent, Garfield

I have one free seat; I'm collecting Warbonnet and Garfieldsshost in Dublin. However, I need to stand in as train guard on the 1400 departure so I'll need to be at the railway about 1330. (Garfield - can I pick you and WB up at about 1130?)

OTHERS:

One of our number (Dartstation) can offer a lift for anyone in the Dun Laoghaire area or close by -can anyone interested please send a PM to him to arrange pick ups. (Dartstation - many thanks for your offer of transport).

Those travelling from Belfast / based in the north - you might liaise with each other.

IF ANY OF THOSE WHO EXPRESSED INTEREST IN THIS VISIT CAN OFFER LIFTS, OR HAVE DIFFICULTIES OBTAINING THEM, PLEASE POST HERE. All of us read these boards. Also, you can PM me and if I can make any arrangements for you, I will.

Otherwise, I'll see you all at Downpatrick, where the programme already mentioned in post above will take place. This will be a unique opportunity for enthusiasts / modellers to obtain access to areas not normally available to anyone other than rostered working members.

Folks

DRIVERS available:

1. Me - Southside Dublin. One free seat

2. Dartstation - Dun Laoghaire

3. Portoman - Portmarnock

Can others intending to travel please "ping" any of the three of us to reserve a seat. Suggested time to leave Dublin area about 1130.

From North, please let me know if you have difficulty obtaining transport. Thus far, I have no actual offers of lifts from Belfast.

Folks

DRIVERS available:

1. Me - Southside Dublin. One free seat

2. Dartstation - Dun Laoghaire

3. Portoman - Portmarnock

Can others intending to travel please "ping" any of the three of us to reserve a seat. Suggested time to leave Dublin area about 1130.

From North, please let me know if you have difficulty obtaining transport. Thus far, I have no actual offers of lifts from Belfast.

Unfortunately I have to work this weekend, I'd loved to had been joining with the group visit, but work has to come first. Have a very enjoyable trip and day out. Lots of pics please. TDR

Folks

Updated arrangements - I've been roped in to do guard on the 1400 ex Downpatrick and the 1420 return from Inch Abbey, so I need to be there at 1330 latest. Therefore - Garfield / Warbonnet - I'll pick you folks up at the agreed spot at about 11.

So, we can all be free to arrive when we want; see the arrangements above - the first of the three tours of the sheds will be immediately after the 1445 sets off for Inch Abbey. Thus, it will start promptly at 1450. Other arrangements as stated previously.

Looking forward to meeting some of you!

We can all meet for a bite to eat afterwards if desired.