Early Cravens

Rate this topic

richrua

075 is still going strong. Passed me this evening at 17:50 hauling 8 empty tara wagons. 191 was a notable one, being scrapped following a "run away" incident from North Wall yard, was then witched into a siding at Clonsilla and crashing into the buffer stops. All the timber framed coached were destroyed in the crash at Buttevant. The Cravens construction proved them well, while most were damaged they were not like other which only the base was left.

The IRRS journal are good from finding out when stock was involved in accidents and scrapped.

171 rolled off the end of the wash road at Connolly before it was extended down to Eastwall Junction, it went on to be the very the last 141 in service.

Edited by Railer

Actually, what's the best resource to look up when locos and wagons were introduced, scrapped/involved in a significant accident etc?

Irish Railways Traction And Travel.... produced by Peter Jones of the ITG, is probably the best source of that information. There were three editions published over the years. Not available to buy new now, but do appear on eBay from time to time. Well worth collecting all three if you could.

Only publications that cover freight wagons are the three editions of Locomotives and Rolling Stock of Coras Iompair Eireann and Northern Ireland Railways by Oliver Doyle and Stephen Hirsch. These volumes are also excellent references for the older CIE coaching stock.

For details of coaching stock lost in accidents, you would probably need to consult a combination of the IRRS journals, The Irish Mail and the ITG stock books. Details on freight stock is extremely scarce, and the information contained in the Doyle/Hirsch books are still the benchmark reference for this area. Further freight information can be found in the IRRS journals, but you wont find details like what wagon was in what accident.

I have found Abe books to be a good source of books on Irish railways. Just bought; Rails around Belfast, The Midland Great Western and The Belfast and County Down. All published by Midland Publishing. They are s/h but in very good condition, indeed Rails around Belfast is a brand new book cost £3+postage. Worth checking out.

Irish Railways Traction And Travel.... produced by Peter Jones of the ITG, is probably the best source of that information. There were three editions published over the years. Not available to buy new now, but do appear on eBay from time to time. Well worth collecting all three if you could.

Thanks folks. I may renumber one or two 'extra' 141/181 that I have so wondering if there were any numbers to 'avoid'

Thanks folks. I may renumber one or two 'extra' 141/181 that I have so wondering if there were any numbers to 'avoid'

There were actually four editions of Irish Railways Traction And Travel.........

Anyway, I had a quick look at the latest edition, dated 2004. The list of 141/181 locos stopped at that time was,

150 stopped 31/5/03 ......... 188 stopped 8/11/03

157 stopped 26/7/03 ......... 191 stopped 20/8/91

158 stopped 22/3/99

161 stopped 5/96

174 stopped 5/10/93

All the timber framed coached were destroyed in the crash at Buttevant.

Two of the 'timber framed' coaches, 1365 and 1935, survived. 3191 was badly damaged in the crash and was written off November 1981; 1145, 2408 and 2412 were totally destroyed in the crash, while 1491 was severely damaged - all four were written off in September 1980; 1529, 1527,1508 and 1542 received varying degrees of damage but were all repaired and returned to service; the last three vehicles, 1541, 1365 and 1935, did not derail and returned to service. Two of the Cravens were subsequently involved in further accidents - 1527 in the Cherryville Junction crash in 1983, while 1508 and 1529 were in the Belview derailment in 1993. 1508, 1529 and 1541 are now with the RPSI.