What Air Brush?

Rate this question

Dave

Question

Good question Dave!

I'm going to tell you about the cheaper alternatives. I don't have a professional compressor nor Badger airbrushes, so someone like anthony might be able to shed some light on the more professional options.

There are several cheap compressors on Ebay - steer clear of the ones for applying fake tan in funky looking enclosures. What's important is that it has an air regulator, with a valve to release any moisture. Otherwise the moisture comes out of the brush with the paint, putting an nice squirt on your model. The other thing to worry about is whether it is a single piston version, or has a tank, so that the air coming out is constant and consistent. The tank version is more expensive - usually about €100. The single piston version is around €50. I have this and find it fine, but I would look at the tank version if you are going to do really delicate work.

Then there are the brushes themselves. Cheap ones in packs can be ok, it can be hit and miss. You have the choice of gravity feed - the little cup on top, or suction systems. Suction brushes are used for large volume work, like 20 coaches at a time. I have both types but mostly use the gravity feed for drops of paint, doing single locos etc. Then there is the action - double action is a must so that when you push down on the pedal air comes out, and as you press harder the paint is released into the spray and you can control the volume released.

Then there is the needle/nozzle size. Anything from 0.1 mm to 0.8mm the last one being best for french polishing tables really. Steer clear of the guns where you can swap needles and nozzles, you'll lose parts over time and not remember what nozzle goes with what needle. I'd get one or two good ones first and then go toward the Iwata series. Expensive but the tooling on them are far far superior to the Far Eastern manufacturered ones on ebay. There was a great article by George Dent in Model Rail Mag, I think in April. Worth the read.

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/AIRBRUSH-KIT-AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR-AIR-BRUSH-COMPRESSOR-/370268372610?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item5635b6fe82#ht_5534wt_1139

http://www.ebay.ie/itm/Compressor-Airbrush-Set-Neo-Iwata-BCN-/150843275355?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item231ef5b85b#ht_1246wt_952

Two great options I reckon. Hope it helps and the lads add their bit too.

Richie

Dave Richie has given you some good advice in his reply. I use a compressor with a 2.5 liter air reservoir tank it's better if you are going to be doing a high volume of airbrushing and you don't want the noise of a smaller compressor buzzing beside you when you are working. I have fitted mine with a moisture trap so it catches any moisture or water before it reaches the airbrush.

I use a badger 200 airbrush for spraying locos, coaches, wagons, scenery etc and a Richpen Apollo gravity feed double action airbrush for finer work such as weathering and fine lines. Some people are happy with the results of using a cheap airbrush and I have had a few people over to my house for a demo and once they have used the gravity feed double action brush they are converted. A chap that I know who airbrushes fuel tanks on motor bikes recommended the Richpen to me and I love it. Spares are readily available from Europe, Asia, and the USA. I have a few cups that I use for the badger and I would never use the glass jar that I have in the photo below as it's easier to change over the cups when you are changing color.

Rich,

u2 25 07 09 022.jpg

u2 25 07 09 022.jpg

Hi Rich,

I have an oil free compressor in the workshop, it's mostly used on site for my two nail guns. It has a 5 ltr tanks which would be fine. Where can you get the Richpen Apollo?

Many thanks.

Dave:tumbsup:

Hi Rich,

I have an oil free compressor in the workshop, it's mostly used on site for my two nail guns. It has a 5 ltr tanks which would be fine. Where can you get the Richpen Apollo?

Many thanks.

Dave:tumbsup:

Dave I got mine from http://www.bearair.com in the USA the model # is Richpen Apollo 113C. It's a beauty to work with and comes with a very fine needle. I think you can get them in the UK as well.

Rich,

Wow rich, that's an impressive bit of kit. Even more so when you appreciate the scale of the airbrush to the tank! (And Draper gear is always kick ass)

R.

Richie I have the compressor 7 years and it has never given me any trouble. Plug it in, turn it on, fill up the tank, set the air pressure connect the hose to the moisture trap and away you go. I get hours of airbrushing time from a full tank and you don't have any noise. A nice summers day outside is the right time for airbrushing. I know some people have fume extraction kit but I don't have the luxury of that at the moment. If I am using enamels during the less hospitable months I spray in my brothers garage and use a mask so as not to breathe in any harmful fumes. I also leave the garage door open a slight bit. He lets me leave the models in a room to dry for a couple of days and I come back and gloss varnish them if they need decals. I leave the gloss varnish dry for a few days apply the decals and give them a coat of satin or matt varnish depending on what type of finish I want.

I seem to find myself using acrylic paints a lot more now so I will incorporate a small fume extraction kit (just to be on the safe side) into the build of my new railway shed and workshop.

Rich,

Bought this a couple of years ago

Still unused.......

P1020978.jpg

Its called an Aztec A4709, thats as much as I know about it

It looks like a side feed airbrush Dave, which can be very useful at times. An all round nice piece of kit. I assume that they are the nozzles in the six containers above the airbrush.

Rich,

Lads all this talk of expensive airbrushes.=)) An expensive airbrush ain't going to make you a better painter. If you can't do it with a cheap airbrush a dear one is not going to make you better, its not the airbrush its the guy holding it that counts. I have several airbrushes for different things and the most expensive one is £25

Lads all this talk of expensive airbrushes.=)) An expensive airbrush ain't going to make you a better painter. If you can't do it with a cheap airbrush a dear one is not going to make you better, its not the airbrush its the guy holding it that counts. I have several airbrushes for different things and the most expensive one is £25

Anto me old mate your the only one that has mentioned expensive airbrushes. People were exchanging info on what type of airbrush manufacturer, type that they use. I am not one for luxuries or novelties myself but anyone I have ever known in the hobby, textiles, body repaints, custom repaints of bikes or cars would disagree with you.

Look at the guys that do some of the custom paint work for the Tuetuls in American Chopper, they don't use 25$ airbrushes for their work. Artists don't use pound shop brushes for their work. Sometimes the expense and the outlay in a €80 tool can pay you back ten fold in it's lifetime. Tools for the hobby like good needle files drill bits are worth paying that little bit extra for as they last longer, airbrushes fall into that category also. I don't use my airbrush solely for railway modelling, I like to do some art work as well and there is no way that I could get the same level of precision work with a cheap and nasty.

Rich,

Edited by RedRich

Dave here is a good little starter kit always try and get a compressor with an air tank

Check out this link Dave:-bd

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR-KIT-W-2-DUAL-ACTION-AIRBRUSHES-/250973221266?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item3a6f2b7192#ht_1280wt_1037

Dave my airbrushes are something like those in the link above but my compressor is a sealey 50lts as I am airbrushing all day everyday and I need the bigger air tank. You only have to look at my workbench to see what can be done with these airbrushes when working on model trains.

Edited by BosKonay

Thanks for all the advise lads, it was getting close to airbrushes at dawn there lol =)). Although in my experience I believe in buying the best tool for the job. When I'm buying tools for my job I would spend a lot to get the quality and durability. The last tool I bought was a router made by Festool cost me over €600 where most professional routers cost around €300. I know it will last and has the power to do what I need it to do.

I also believe if a tool is only used a few times a year the cheaper tool is a better way to go.

I have an oilless compressor with a decent tank I'll use and will probably go for the cheaper air brush as I'll only use it for weathering and painting locos.

I'll shut up now!

Thanks everyone

Cheers

Dave

Dave here is a good little starter kit always try and get a compressor with an air tank

Check out this link Dave:-bd

http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/AIRBRUSH-COMPRESSOR-KIT-W-2-DUAL-ACTION-AIRBRUSHES-/250973221266?pt=UK_Crafts_DrawingSupplies_EH&hash=item3a6f2b7192#ht_1280wt_1037

Dave my airbrushes are something like those in the link above but my compressor is a sealey 50lts as I am airbrushing all day everyday and I need the bigger air tank. You only have to look at my workbench to see what can be done with these airbrushes when working on model trains.

That set looks to be very good value.

Guest hidden-agenda

For the love of god Dave dont buy a Sealey upright http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?gotonode=ViewProduct&method=mViewProduct&productid=14330&productdescription=&productcode=&category=11&catgroup=112&catmicrogroup=1022&analysiscode=&requiredresults=16 its a long story but this is a good compressor and i am happy with it except for the damn noise when its running its not for a confined space as my garage sounds like the space shuttle is getting ready for launching.

I already have something similar with a small tank. I used it on site with the nail guns. It's in my workshop now. I don't mind the noise like most compressors they make noise unless you get a Hydovane which are very quiet. There a couple of grand though.

For the love of god Dave dont buy a Sealey upright http://www.sealey.co.uk/PLPageBuilder.asp?gotonode=ViewProduct&method=mViewProduct&productid=14330&productdescription=&productcode=&category=11&catgroup=112&catmicrogroup=1022&analysiscode=&requiredresults=16 its a long story but this is a good compressor and i am happy with it except for the damn noise when its running its not for a confined space as my garage sounds like the space shuttle is getting ready for launching.

Lads,

I have the same compressor in the link Richie posted, and I also have the gravity-fed airbrush although I bought them seperately. I find both of them to be fine and I would highly recommend them.

Like Anto said, it's about technique and an expensive airbrush won't help with that. There's nothing wrong with going the inexpensive route especially when starting out, then by all means upgrade if you feel the need.

Thanks for all the advise lads, it was getting close to airbrushes at dawn there lol =)). Although in my experience I believe in buying the best tool for the job. When I'm buying tools for my job I would spend a lot to get the quality and durability. The last tool I bought was a router made by Festool cost me over €600 where most professional routers cost around €300. I know it will last and has the power to do what I need it to do.

I also believe if a tool is only used a few times a year the cheaper tool is a better way to go.

I have an oilless compressor with a decent tank I'll use and will probably go for the cheaper air brush as I'll only use it for weathering and painting locos.

I'll shut up now!

Thanks everyone

Cheers

Dave

Dave whatever you choose will your decision and your's alone. I wish you the best of luck with whatever airbrush you choose. If you are ever down my neck of the woods I would be delighted to have you in my home for a visit and you could have a play around with my set up.

Rich,

Are you sure it's just airbrushing that you are getting upto in there Gareth.

Rich,

Dave whatever you choose will your decision and your's alone. I wish you the best of luck with whatever airbrush you choose. If you are ever down my neck of the woods I would be delighted to have you in my home for a visit and you could have a play around with my set up.

Rich,

Cheers Rich.

Guest hidden-agenda
Are you sure it's just airbrushing that you are getting upto in there Gareth.

Rich,

My wife has asked the same question quite a few times. I reply I am making the bomb for the Fuhrer.=))

(Cough!) Bringing this back on-topic, I got myself an Iwata HP-C a few years ago on ebay. Lovely solid job, topside feeder. The best thing about these is that you have a dual action so that you can get the air flowing before you start flowing in the paint (pushing down on the button) and you can also control the volume/size of spray by pulling back on the lever.

Edited by Weshty

Hi all, saw this coming up in Lidl from Monday and was wondering if it's worth buying: http://www.lidl.ie/cps/rde/xchg/lidl_ri_ie/hs.xsl/index_25521.htm This is a bit off topic but Aldi have this Soldering Iron coming up from next Thursday: http://www.aldi.ie/ie/html/offers/special_buys3_24122.htm Again opinions would be welcome

Edited by mpc84