Wanderings in the mid 20th century

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

I found a few old used railway tickets issued to the GSR Chief Draughtsman and his son, the later GNR Western District Engineer...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

The Clogher Valley one included a personal tour of Aughnacloy Works...

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

And no matter which way I hold the iPhone when taking photos, they always turn out upside down. Any thoughts on that? Should I stand my head when taking them?

Edited by jhb171achill

"And no matter which way I hold the iPhone when taking photos, they always turn out upside down. Any thoughts on that? Should I stand my head when taking them?"

J,

You need to consumed a minimum of four pints of Guinness within an hour, then place the items to be photographed so they are reflected in a mirror. Stand on your head for thirty minutes to ensure there is a good mixture of blood and Guinness fumes in your head. When the "Black Stuff" has taken effect, and the image you are viewing is becoming blurred, then - and only then, press the shutter button on your photographic contraption. If this fails at the first attempt repeat the process. Continue until such time as you are convinced it has resolved your upside-down problem!

Might the problem be the way you have placed the pictures to be photographed so that they wrong way around, and there is nothing wrong with your new-fangled phone thing?

Personally I use a phone to hold conversations with other phone users. The telephone exchange lady here is most helpful. She will take the trouble to inform you as to whether, or not, the person you are wishing to contact is at home at the time you are calling. Should they be visiting at the time of your call she will often redirect you to that addresses' telephone. A most useful service.

Re you Camera, what about you getting a proper one? I find my "Box Brownie" is perfect for such tasks.

Wonderful memories of roads that are no longer available to us.

Thank you,

OB

Edited by Old Blarney

No, I always drink Guinness instead of Fosters....

And I've never eaten a kangaroo.

I also have a footplate pass from Derry to Burtonport and back....It's actually for a first class coach seat, but he travelled on the footplate of one the tender engines. I think it was No. 11, as the other one was by then out of use.

Edited by jhb171achill

I have asked for advice from some tame geeks and got this - http://iphonephotographyschool.com/iphone-photos-upside-down/

Borithe you beat me to the photo of a early hi-tech phone/camera!

The tame geek site is deadly;-

''How To Solve This Problem

You can prevent any rotation issues in the future by taking your iPhone photos and videos with the volume buttons pointing down. However, it’s not as convenient as holding your iPhone with the volume buttons pointing up, especially if you use those buttons to take photos. That’s why I almost always prefer to keep the volume buttons up and deal with possible problems later.''

I can say this easier- 'JHB you are holding the camera upside down'

Eoin

Train services were reduced to one a day on main routes only. Coal was so scarce that a mix of tar pitch and turf and coal dust was used as fuel at times. This clinkered up and caused frequent stops to raise steam. A journey to Cork could take eight or nine hours. Chaos ruled until supplies returned to normal.

I have a timetable somewhere for that period. Must fish it out....

I

Train services were reduced to one a day on main routes only. Coal was so scarce that a mix of tar pitch and turf and coal dust was used as fuel at times. This clinkered up and caused frequent stops to raise steam. A journey to Cork could take eight or nine hours. Chaos ruled until supplies returned to normal.

I have a timetable somewhere for that period. Must fish it out....

Actually that article suggests that the period of chaos was less than a year , as the GSR was successful in using briquettes of coal dust and a form of anthracite. It's says that the urban myth of a railway in chaos has entered the Irish mindset , but that was only in reality around 1941.

This video has been suggested to me as possibly being of some help, although I suspect not..

Another person, who is a dedicated Apple fan-boy and believes that they can do no wrong, wonders if you are using an up-to-date OS? He believes that it "shouldn't happen" if you are, which, of course it shouldn't, but, then, it shouldn't happen anyway....