N gauge Irish models

Rate this question

Peter

Question

15 answers to this question

Hi Peter

If you mean just repainting there are none. Most need some degree of conversion to look right. The only one that I painted without making any conversion was GF Class 158 which I painted as a class 2700 DMU in Commuter Livery. This did however require painting out the existing doors and some windows. The doors then had to be repainted in a different position. Driver301 in his Connolly Station thread said he did something similar but he also lowered the gangway door. I chose not to. Have a look at my thread on T-Trak http://irishrailwaymodeller.com/showthread.php/4661-N-Gauge-T-Trak

Some of the modification are very simple such as adding an extra steam pipe to one side of the boiler and hand rails to the cab An LMS Class 2p 4-4-0 became an NCC U2 class.It was repainted and both the letters NCC and number were added. This year I bought a GF Southern N Class in Green which just need a small modification to the tender and the number and flying snail added to become a K1 Class. The GF Royal Scot rebuilt as mentioned by GSR 800 is another one this does not need much work mostly a long sand box on one side only and an extra boiler pipe again on one side only. Numbers and logo added as usual. In nearly all the steam loco conversions I have also had to add hand rails on the cabs and hand wheels on the smoke box doors.

A lot depends on how much you are willing or able to do to get the look right or put another way what can you live without on your locos. All the conversions that I have undertaken look reasonably right but none are fully correct. I have made compromises in what work I did to them and what things I left out.

Apart from those mentioned above some of the others I modified are

Class 20 to a class 121 - a lot of work

Class 4Mt to an LMS NCC Class WT

Union Mills Class T9 to GNR S Class

Union Mills LMS 2P to a GSR D2 class ( the same 2p type loco became athe NCC U2 class mentioned above)

Union Mills class J25 to GSR class J8

If you can be more specific in what you propose to run I will try to give you steer.

MikeO

Edited by MikeO

I wasn't even aware of that stuff. Worsley Works will also have kits for Cravens, Park Royals, laminates and various NCC bogie stock (suitable right up to early '70s NIR era, "Hunslet" hauled on Portrush Sunday School trains!) and GSWR six wheelers, suitable for CIE use up to about 1961.

With so many of us now living in ever-smaller houses and apartments, maybe "N" gauge Irish is a potential growth area?

And a bit more. Check the Farish website and those of other "N" manufacturers. Open wagons and some LMS covered vans are close enough to 1950s GNR(I) stock which ended up with CIE and was in use well into the seventies. Just sheep-dip in grey or brown (post-'72).

Mk 2AB coaches will be just a repaint of BR equivalents. I'm sure someone manufactures Mk 3's; same.

There's an LMS 0.6.0 tender engine which could be mildly altered to resemble an NCC equivalent, and I am sure I've seen LMS / BR Stanier tanks changed to approximately resemble UTA / NIR "WT" class.

Lining - especially by hand - will always look grotesquely overscale in "N" gauge, so a choice of livery where lining is either non-existent, or weathered to invisibility (think "Jeeps"!) might aid realism.

As others have said, a credible 800 can be made out of a "Royal Scot". I am sure with a bit of botching, a credible likeness to a J15 - almost essential for CIE steam era - or a "Woolwich", or even a 400 class if modelling the Cork main line, could be achieved. Plain unlined grey for all but the 800 would be an advantage!

Edited by jhb171achill

Thank you for your replies. It's great to know some n gauge models can be converted to look like Irish locos with some work. 3D printing I'm sure will help hugely with this as well.

I'm not sure if I want to model steam era or diesel yet. I like modern locos, but steam could look nicer passing through a countryside setting.

Peter

Thank you for your replies. It's great to know some n gauge models can be converted to look like Irish locos with some work. 3D printing I'm sure will help hugely with this as well.

I'm not sure if I want to model steam era or diesel yet. I like modern locos, but steam could look nicer passing through a countryside setting.

Peter

A reasonable selection of Irish 3d printed N gauge models are available from Shapeways

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/valvedesign?s=0#more-products. I think the diesel locos are designed to run on Lifelike N Gauge chassis. The main challenge is in achieving a reasonable surface finish on 3d printed material

A reasonable selection of Irish 3d printed N gauge models are available from Shapeways

http://www.shapeways.com/shops/valvedesign?s=0#more-products. I think the diesel locos are designed to run on Lifelike N Gauge chassis. The main challenge is in achieving a reasonable surface finish on 3d printed material

I wonder if anyone has a photo of one to show how smooth / rough they are?

Presumably very fine rubbing down does the trick?

I looked at their site and for "N" they appear to have the following diesels - A, C, 421, (unusually) 401, 121 and 141. One wonders what chassis would do the two "E" classes.

They do a Bullied open and a Craven plus quite a few more modern yokes.

I wonder if anyone has a photo of one to show how smooth / rough they are?

Presumably very fine rubbing down does the trick?

I looked at their site and for "N" they appear to have the following diesels - A, C, 421, (unusually) 401, 121 and 141. One wonders what chassis would do the two "E" classes.

They do a Bullied open and a Craven plus quite a few more modern yokes.

I bought a couple of the 141 bodies a few years ago. I sold them on...