American visitors to Tara Junction.

Rate this topic

[ATTACH]27536[/ATTACH]

Having just arrived back from my first visit to the U.S.A,where I travelled on the New York-Chicago Lake shore limited and Chicago-San Francisco California Zephyr, I had no choice but to commemorate this trip by purchasing this locomotive while in New York, as I travelled behind four of these impressive locomotives while traversing the country,

I was also fortunate to spot 190 on shed in Chicago,

What an impressive system and it has given me inspiration to maybe do a small diorama of a small loco depot,

I hope to get a few Union Pacific C44 locos as I was most impressed by the size and sound of these machines,in particular around Roseville depot.

• Like 2
  • Agree 1

• 4 weeks later...
  • 5 years later...
13 minutes ago, connollystn said:

Lovely model of the SD 70. Have started getting into Railroad models, very impressed with my SDL39. Wouldn't mind getting a few SD40s, there's just something really American about the protruding platforms at the front and the rear of the locomotive.

The sound and functions are nice and basic on the SD70-I wouldn't mind a BNSF ES44 at some stage....

• Like 1

On 28/11/2022 at 2:40 PM, ttc0169 said:

Sound fitted Union pacific SD 70 ACE 8718 meets some of its Irish cousins on Tara junction

8DB2BCD0-992A-42E2-82CA-F00118E06568.jpeg

.....exI ept the US cousin has a tractive effort almost three times that of the 071! Regularly see quad- and quintuple-headed UPs hauling a mile of freight cars, literally, pretty impressive even though ihave to wait several minutes for it to pass over the grade crossings.

Harder to find but my personal favorite livery would be the Norfolk Southern livery which is still see here with some frequency

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_SD70_series#/media/File:Norfolk_Southern_SD70_(378889478).jpg 

Edited by DiveController
  • Thanks 1

On 1/12/2022 at 2:34 AM, DiveController said:

.....exI ept the US cousin has a tractive effort almost three times that of the 071! Regularly see quad- and quintuple-headed UPs hauling a mile of freight cars, literally, pretty impressive even though ihave to wait several minutes for it to pass over the grade crossings.

Harder to find but my personal favorite livery would be the Norfolk Southern livery which is still see here with some frequency

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/EMD_SD70_series#/media/File:Norfolk_Southern_SD70_(378889478).jpg 

Union Pacific HO Scale Model Train Diesel Locomotives (hobbylinc.com)

On 2/12/2022 at 8:03 PM, NIRCLASS80 said:

I do love the Canadian Pacific myself and prior to 1995 SD40-2s ruled!

D7FBCC75-93CD-485A-B834-610C9D0B3117.jpeg

Canadian HO Scale Model Train Diesel Locomotives (hobbylinc.com)

• Like 2

• 3 weeks later...
On 28/11/2022 at 8:40 PM, ttc0169 said:

Sound fitted Union pacific SD 70 ACE 8718 meets some of its Irish cousins on Tara junction

8DB2BCD0-992A-42E2-82CA-F00118E06568.thumb.jpeg.831b91d09e1addf8d688080399b077da.jpeg.jpg.2e8685e68cd64a5d6551ef6bc8bd064f.jpg

Beautiful looking model, Noel. The SD40-2 has always been a firm favourite of mine, but the 70ACe has surpassed it recently. It's an absolute beast of a locomotive.  

Edited by JasonB
  • Like 2

On 1/12/2022 at 2:34 AM, DiveController said:

You'd need the entire fleet of 21 x 071s (yes, including the NIR ones!) to haul some USA goods (sorry, "freight") trains!

• 8 months later...