Londonderry to Coleraine railway line is closed for nine months

Rate this topic

The Derry to Coleraine train journey has been described as one of the most beautiful in the world

A section of the railway linking the two biggest cities in Northern Ireland - Belfast and Londonderry - has been closed for the next nine months.

The track between Derry and Coleraine is closed for major engineering works and will not reopen until April 2013.

see http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-northern-ireland-foyle-west-19035968#

It's because there are not many run around points. NIR seem to send 111 and 113 out together alot on engineering trains lately. Also for back up in case one fails. It would take along time to get another loco for York Road.

That leaves 112 as the only Enterprise thunderbird in York Road and a 201 in Connolly for the next 9 months.

I'm guessing it has something to do with the fact if one fails in a big way it can't be brought back to York road too easily except by low-loader.. Whereas 112 working at the other end of the line can easily be hauled back to York road and a NIR 201 or maybe 071 substituted. Don't think 071/111s are allowed work in multiple trainman..

There are pics on the net somewhere of 2 111's double heading a passenger train and also pics somewhere of 208 and 209 also working a passenger train heading over the river Lagan.

Yeah that photo of the 201s was on Eire trains but it's not there anymore :( It was on a railtour somewhere.

• 3 months later...
Guest hidden-agenda

Lovely pics Kieran i think that,s the ballast wagon that derailed. Incidentally the 6 ballast wagons are going for a major over-haul next year i believe and may be getting air brakes among the other work planned.

• 4 months later...
Guest hidden-agenda

Check out Chris playfair pics or look in Irish railway news DMU section some nice pics of 8113 in the shed.

I cant post a link using a different browser and its a nuisance.

• 2 weeks later...