Preorders of IRM Tara Mines Wagon begin this weekend

Rate this topic

Warbonnet

6 hours ago, Warbonnet said:

Correct, the different lid and sides are tooled and we will do the blue, but after the rest of 42 and hoppers and As, as we need to produce something to pull the blue Taras! 

Cheers!

Fran

Slow down, slow down, or I'll end up living on the beach!

I'm already living on bread and rice thanks to you guys.

Don't worry about the well... If anything it's growing, not running dry.

• Funny 2

• 2 weeks later...
On 4/30/2020 at 6:35 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

Slow down, slow down, or I'll end up living on the beach!

I'm already living on bread and rice thanks to you guys.

Don't worry about the well... If anything it's growing, not running dry.

Man, I thought you were living on the beach! Dez-rez an all that

If that's all that's troubling the lads (something to pull stuff),  there will be scope for many many things that silver thru black A class hauled 

• Funny 1

• 4 months later...
  • 4 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

Seeing the A Class already selling out has got me wondering about the blue Tara Mines wagons.

The wagons were blue when launched in 1977, thanks to Railer's post for that info, but when were they painted red?

The IRM models that we currently have, do they have second generation lids?

Apart from the wagon colours, which lids were used from when until when?

Were the A Class all SuperTrain by 1977 or were there still some black and orange examples hauling Tara Mines trains?

• Informative 1

If I recall correctly, the change in colour occurred around the turn of the millennium and the 'second gen' lids were added around the same time. A third type of lid is gradually replacing that type (and has been for at least the past five years) as they wear out. It's the second lid style that's present on the IRM Tara wagons.

The last B&T locos received the Supertrain livery around 1975 so unfortunately none were around to power Tara traffic in its early days.

• Like 1
  • Informative 1

26 minutes ago, Garfield said:

If I recall correctly, the change in colour occurred around the turn of the millennium and the 'second gen' lids were added around the same time. A third type of lid is gradually replacing that type (and has been for at least the past five years) as they wear out. It's the second lid style that's present on the IRM Tara wagons.

The last B&T locos received the Supertrain livery around 1975 so unfortunately none were around to power Tara traffic in its early days.

So the blue Tara's with their G1 lids will be essential for those modelling the early to mid nineties!

• Like 2

49 minutes ago, murphaph said:

Are these not a bauxite colour under that dirt? (1993)

Wagon No 31020 at Drogheda on 20 June 1993

Looks like remnants of the blue livery with some brown patch-painting to me? CIE/IR weren't as fussy about maintaining the exteriors of these wagons back then, and the ore took its toll on the paintwork so at that point the majority may have been bare metal with quite a bit of road dirt, ore dust and general grime. The corrosive nature of the ore is also the reason why the lids have been replaced over time...

Also of interest - this wagon has had a set of shale/cement wagon bogies fitted instead of the regular Y33s. Wonder if it was a test or if they were fitted while its regular set received attention?

• Like 2

12 minutes ago, Garfield said:

Looks like remnants of the blue livery with some brown patch-painting to me? CIE/IR weren't as fussy about maintaining the exteriors of these wagons back then, and the ore took its toll on the paintwork so at that point the majority may have been bare metal with quite a bit of road dirt, ore dust and general grime. The corrosive nature of the ore is also the reason why the lids have been replaced over time...

Also of interest - this wagon has had a set of shale/cement wagon bogies fitted instead of the regular Y33s. Wonder if it was a test or if they were fitted while its regular set received attention?

Both wagons in the photo appear to have different lids - I assume that the main wagon has a G1 lid, as the lid on the wagon to the right looks more like the G2's on the IRM models.

What are the differences between the bogies on the two wagons? I'm struggling to see them.

Wait, I spotted two; the little kind of runner thing underneath, between the wheels, and the closed-end on the bogies on the wagon on the left vs. the open-end on the bogies on the wagon to the right.

Edited by DJ Dangerous

2 minutes ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Both wagons in the photo appear to have different lids - I assume that the main wagon has a G1 lid, as the lid on the wagon to the right looks more like the G2's on the IRM models.

What are the differences between the bogies on the two wagons? I'm struggling to see them.

Yep, the lid on the right is the second lid type. Seems they were introduced slowly as the originals expired - similar to how the newer 'peaked' type of lid is being rolled out over time.

The difference between the two bogies is most noticeable at the ends - over the springs.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, Garfield said:

Yep, the lid on the right is the second lid type. Seems they were introduced slowly as the originals expired - similar to how the newer 'peaked' type of lid is being rolled out over time.

The difference between the two bogies is most noticeable at the ends - over the springs.

Blue buffers on the left wagon and red buffers on the right wagon, too.

Slightly off topic, but do you guys intend releasing G3 lids at some stage to fit onto the current G2 model, or will it just be new G3 Tara's completely, one day?

Just now, DJ Dangerous said:

Blue buffers on the left wagon and red buffers on the right wagon, too.

Slightly off topic, but do you guys intend releasing G3 lids at some stage to fit onto the current G2 model, or will it just be new G3 Tara's completely, one day?

It wouldn't be viable to supply lids by themselves, I'm afraid.

• Informative 1