Gort Station

Rate this topic

Noel

10 hours ago, murphaph said:

Good job Noel! Looks great. I see IRM have set up camp next to the emergency exit in case they are run out of there with pitchforks for not announcing the "right" new tooling lol.

No the announcement about the Park Royal was well received and a welcome addition, at last some coaches for the silver, black, green and B&T livery A class to haul. The 3D sample looked great. 

A318AEAF-95A7-48D4-AC78-7102B74EA057.jpeg

• Like 3

A few pics of Gort's first ever outing to an exhibition at the superbly organised WMRC exhibition. There were 25 layouts, many absolute stunners. Was honoured to be in such exalted company.

Little Siddington in the background behind Gort and in the far distance IRMs stand with the Park Royal 3D sample. (Far away not very small you understand :)  ) 

IMG_1911.JPG

View from Athenry end as pax train exits the loop.

IMG_1998.JPG

View from Ennis end as B134 prepares to enter the yard and take some wagons up to Tuam.

IMG_1996.JPG

Drone Shot

IMG_1997.JPG

Glamorous assistant for the weekend. She even learned how to shunt the yard and organise delayed uncoupling of wagons around the yard sidings.

IMG_1982.JPG

Nice touch for the organisers was a lovely badge to mark our first attendance at this exhibition

IMG_1954.JPG

Men at work preparing in the yard as two passing goods trains expected in the next hour.

IMG_1949.JPG

Had so much fun shunting the wagons around the yard and through the shed over the weekend. The Kadee couplings performed almost perfectly as did the uncoupling magnet hidden under the track. In the background is Barry Carses photo from Book 'Rails through the West' that I saw 4 years ago and the photo that inspired reproduction in this layout.

IMG_1951.JPG

All in all really glad we made the trip down. Interesting travelling down in an EV towing a large two axle trailer. But made it easily on a single charge despite a strong head wind. Superb hospitality and the show with the 'Station Cafe' providing a variety of hot food, snacks, and all manner of beverages and loads of tables to sit at and chat with fellow modellers. It was great to meet so many in person face2face and chat rather than type. :) Like the Chinese the WMRC guys are a truly great bunch of lads. Highlight of the show was chatting in person to folks from this forum and the Facebook model groups. Now to plan Gort's extension programme. Two fiddle yard boards already made, which will allow for more continuous operation for the general public who would find shunting rather boring, especially youngsters. Was really pleased everything still worked reliably after transport. What next for this layout? I've a few areas to finish (signal box facia + gutters + chimney, servo drive and light signals, letter box, one extra uncoupling magnet for the pax loop, point rodding links to points, etc). After that its two drop leaf semi-circular boards for the ends to connect to the fiddle yard boards. Good night. Wreaked tired after an enjoyable weekend.

• Like 16
  • WOW! 1

On 3/10/2018 at 11:12 AM, Noel said:

Thanks JB. 😄 Oh no pressure then. Hopefully it will be an enjoyable learning experience using new materials and techniques acquired along the journey. 

Well Jonathan, 4 years later it got to this first stage of completion. Now for the 2023 extension which includes a fiddle yard pretending to be Tuam station. Thanks for your guidance and encouragement as well the the book 'Rails Through the West' that inspired the creation of this layout.

Gort2023.thumb.jpg.20a1f674d837aca9a8ae989fc3de77e1.jpg

• Like 9

58 minutes ago, Noel said:

Well Jonathan, 4 years later it got to this first stage of completion. Now for the 2023 extension which includes a fiddle yard pretending to be Tuam station. Thanks for your guidance and encouragement as well the the book 'Rails Through the West' that inspired the creation of this layout.

Gort2023.thumb.jpg.20a1f674d837aca9a8ae989fc3de77e1.jpg

Much appreciated, Noel - it looks superb and is a credit to you. I showed pictures of it to Barry Carse too and he was suitably impressed. You've succeeded doing what I initially intended for Dugort Harbour - to have it at exhibitions - but that one is firmly ensconced now in my attic and won't be going anywhere unfortunately - at least until I'm carried out in a box! Love the passenger train with brand-new black'n'tan - but still a tatty oul "silver" van at the back! Must be 1963....................

• Thanks 1

I don't want to be negative, so I apologise in advance if this come across that way. It is genuinely meant in a constructive way.

While Gort is fabulous, and you should be very proud of what you have achieved, the thread is starting to feel a little repetitious, now.

I get a Gort notification and think that I'm gonna see a new video or a new running session or a yellow weedspray train behind a grey 071 or whatever, but it just kind of feels like it's the same stuff again and again, packaged differently. Old photos, plans, whatever etc.

Again, @Noel, Gort is incredible, it takes the idea of prototypical modelling and does a wonderful job, but maybe there's not much to add to the thread until you have something new - maybe the cassette that you spoke of would allow an update or two.

Dugort and Brookhall Mill are examples of layouts that warrant frequent updates, there's always something new or something tweaked.

Gort is more like a Barrow Street in that there is less to post about in general, while still being an amazing layout. Some fresh running session videos would be nice.

• Agree 3

6 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

I don't want to be negative, so I apologise in advance if this come across that way. It is genuinely meant in a constructive way.

While Gort is fabulous, and you should be very proud of what you have achieved, the thread is starting to feel a little repetitious, now.

I get a Gort notification and think that I'm gonna see a new video or a new running session or a yellow weedspray train behind a grey 071 or whatever, but it just kind of feels like it's the same stuff again and again, packaged differently. Old photos, plans, whatever etc.

Again, @Noel, Gort is incredible, it takes the idea of prototypical modelling and does a wonderful job, but maybe there's not much to add to the thread until you have something new - maybe the cassette that you spoke of would allow an update or two.

Dugort and Brookhall Mill are examples of layouts that warrant frequent updates, there's always something new or something tweaked.

Gort is more like a Barrow Street in that there is less to post about in general, while still being an amazing layout. Some fresh running session videos would be nice.

No prob. Your right. I’ll stop posting 

Edited by Noel

1 hour ago, Noel said:

No prob. Your right. I’ll stop posting 

That's not what I meant. Not at all. I'm sorry if it came across like that.

I don't want to try again as I tried pretty hard to avoid that kind of a response in my first post.

Please keep posting the same stuff again and again if you like, it's your thread, and the forum is a free place where we all look for something in common.

I did not mean to be insulting or belittling, only constructive.

• Like 1

I am sure that @DJ Dangerous did not mean to cause any offence, however I think it is very unfair to suggest to any member of the forum that they should desist from posting (unless they are being abusive or generally straying outside the norms and guidelines for posting on a forum, which is more a matter for the moderators than for us mere mortals). We all have our own aspects of the hobby that most interest us greatly and equally other areas that are of less interest to us.

I for one have watched the progress of this wonderful layout from inception to exhibition display with great interest and was delighted to get the chance to view it live last weekend at the Wexford show and to get to meet @Noel and his glamorous assistant who were both most welcoming and helpful in showing me the workings of it.

In relation to the criticism above of the posts lacking "newness" I could not agree at all, whereas there were no new developments in the layout per se, the story of the "life" of the layout making it's first appearance at exhibition and the story of exhibitors experiences in travelling to and exhibiting at the show, together with an outline of plans for the future expansion were, in my opinion, both interesting and newsworthy for the folks involved in our hobby.

In conclusion let me say a big thank you to @Noel for creating and displaying this wonderful layout and for allowing us to see your progress through your posts on this forum. 

@Noel KEEP POSTING PLEASE!

Edited by Signal Post
typo, "your" iso "you"
  • Like 2
  • Confused 1

Just now, Signal Post said:

I am sure that @DJ Dangerous did not mean to cause any offence, however I think it is very unfair to suggest to any member of the forum that they should desist from posting (unless they are being abusive or generally straying outside the norms and guidelines for posting on a forum, which is more a matter for the moderators than for us mere mortals). We all have our own aspects of the hobby that most interest us greatly and equally other areas that are of less interest to us.

I for one have watched the progress of this wonderful layout from inception to exhibition display with great interest and was delighted to get the chance to view it live last weekend at the Wexford show and to get to meet @Noel and his glamorous assistant who were both most welcoming and helpful in showing me the workings of it.

In relation to the criticism above of the posts lacking "newness" I could not agree at all, whereas there were no new developments in the layout per se, the story of the "life" of the layout making it's first appearance at exhibition and the story of exhibitors experiences in travelling to and exhibiting at the show, together with an outline of plans for the future expansion were, in my opinion, both interesting and newsworthy for the folks involved in our hobby.

In conclusion let me say a big thank you to @Noel for creating and displaying this wonderful layout and for allowing us to see your progress through you posts on this forum. 

@Noel KEEP POSTING PLEASE!

May be an idea to re-read my post:

11 hours ago, DJ Dangerous said:

Some fresh running session videos would be nice.

• Like 1

• 4 weeks later...
On 6/5/2023 at 11:52 PM, DJ Dangerous said:

...., the thread is starting to feel a little repetitious, now.

I get a Gort notification and think that I'm gonna see a new video or a new running session or a yellow weedspray train behind a grey 071 or whatever, but it just kind of feels like it's the same stuff again and again, packaged differently. ...

I guess now yer man's stopped posting - possibly for good - you are actually getting something different to the "same old".

Unintended consequences, etc.

• Funny 1

3 hours ago, Horsetan said:

I guess now yer man's stopped posting - possibly for good - you are actually getting something different to the "same old".

Unintended consequences, etc.

In fairness, he did say in one of the (six?) Kingsbridge threads that he was working on something big for Gort, so we'll probably have a savage update of how that's going, soon enough.