NCC Courtaulds open wagon

Rate this topic

NIR

Has there ever been a kit for the NCC Courtaulds open wagon?

The ready-to-run Dapol A005 LMS 4 plank open is steel underframed while the Ratio 576 LMS 4 plank open kit is wooden underframed but looks just a bit too wrong at the ends. That seems to be it for LMS 4 plank opens, to which the NCC Courtaulds open was closely related.

In their later cut down variant the NCC Courtaulds opens are as distinctively NIR as the UTA spoil wagons

image.jpg

Edited by NIR

If that’s a pic which I posted here a few years ago, it was taken at Antrim in 1978 or thereabouts.

Those wagons were very much standard opens, cut down by NIR as you say, and “NIR” painted over the faded “U T”.

I’d say many standard off-the-shelf designs would suffice.

• Like 1

Have just read through the original thread and very interesting it was. The "Courtaulds" wagons were refurbished in the wagon shop section of the Adelaide running shed from May 1964, 200 for "Courtaulds" traffic, 100 for the UTA's own purposes. (IRN).

image.thumb.png.43f5288c5cba20c7da5905d17fc681e0.png

A 'Jeep' working what presumably is a Courtaulds train at Greenisland. However as the brake van is next to the engine, it may be propelling the wagons up the 'Back' line. Unfortunately date and photographer UNKNOWN. However note the variety in height of the open wagons.

Does anyone know when the Courtaulds contract commenced?

image.png.a62236328547b3cfa1b4ec5169019c53.png

Two wagons at Lisburn March 1971 - copied from a Jonathan Allen photograph

Edited by Lambeg man
  • Like 1
  • WOW! 1

That looks very realistic. It’s as I remember them. The rust on the chassis and metalwork (which, of course, were the same reddish body colour when painted new) looks extremely realistic.

3 hours ago, NIR said:

Yes, it was hosted here already so I posted it, hope you don't mind.

Maybe I'm getting a bit too fussy?

Absolutely no problem - use away! 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

The Cambrian kits certainly look the part, and interesting that the wagons seemed to vary so much in reality. Looking at the photo I posted at the start the grey wagon on the right does look like it could have an extra plank, if not the extra height.

An important wagon to give things an NCC/NIR feel I think, even into the late 70s.

Edited by NIR

1 hour ago, jhb171achill said:

All the low plank ones (of which there were about 6-8) were ordinary ones cut down.

The grey paint was just a rough coat of emulsion which washed off quickly showing the old UTA livery.

Great, I was thinking of giving it a coat of Halfords red primer and taking it from there

• Like 1

• 5 months later...