Railway Magazine August 2019

Rate this topic

StevieB

The latest issue of RM includes a copy of Railway Times, a special publication dedicated to the history of railways, from the archives of Railway Magazine. On the back page is a half page photo entitled August 1930: Cork-Dublin Pullman Car Express, Great Southern Railways, Ireland. G.& S.W.R. 4-6-0 No. 408. From a photograph by Rex Murphy. Apart from the spelling mistake, quite delightful.

Stephen

• Like 2

Until yesterday I hadn't bought a paper magazine for 10 years, only bought it then because a pal of mine wrote an article in it (MBY). While looking for the specific mag I stumbled across various attractive looking model railway magazines, picked up a few and thought, no, samey, samey, dust collectors, that have little of interest for me compared to www and put them back down on the shelf. Its probably 15 years since I bought a copy of railway modeller (ie when it was white with a photo and blue lettering, before graphic designers threw away their former unique brand image). When I think of the money I wasted on hobby magazines all those years ago.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

Noel, I think the lads are referring to the fact that there is a wealth of historical information in previous issues of this magazine, which may be of use to members. Commentary on the state of current model railway publications is all over social media, and other forums/fora, can we not stray off topic here? I find this stuff particularly useful, as will anyone else searching here in years to come? 

R.

• Like 3

As Richie (Glenderg) says above, it'd be great if we could continue the discussion about the historical information that can be found in magazine articles, rather than a series of "I buy/don't buy magazines" statements, which don't really add anything to the conversation, tbh. :) 

rage GIF by Cheezburger

• Like 1

Sure I hear what you're saying, but i do think its relevant to voice the opinion that perhaps the historical information you can get from books considerably outweighs what you can typically find in a magazine, which by its nature has to be a bit general and cover a lot of different items, perhaps not in great detail due to space...plus adverts...

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, PorkyP said:

Sure I hear what you're saying, but i do think its relevant to voice the opinion that perhaps the historical information you can get from books considerably outweighs what you can typically find in a magazine, which by its nature has to be a bit general and cover a lot of different items, perhaps not in great detail due to space...plus adverts...

I'd strongly disagree with that. During prototype research, I'm often left disappointed with the data available in books (frequently ones that are lauded as the 'definitive' tomes on a particular subject), only to find what I'm looking for in a back issue of a magazine. Everything from the Railway Magazine to Model Railway Constructor has turned up vital information that has enabled us to get projects across the line.

Beyond research for the day job, I'd contend that serial magazine features such as O.S. Nock's 'Locomotive Practice & Performance' have no equal in book form.

• Like 2

Fair play then, I've not looked in the right magazines clearly! I guess it also depends what you're looking for too, I've found some great stuff recently that I've wanted re 3ft NG all in books, I wouldn't have known where to start if I'd been set the task using mags, maybe that's the fault of me rather than the mags who knows. I still think it's been worthwhile tho even having this little discussion on the subject rather than not...debate and exchange of ideas and learning stuff is all good

• Like 1