Font for CIE steam locomotive numerals

Rate this topic

jhb171achill

This extends further @jhb171achill, I've seen this oddball font later on, and I suspect it was done by some chap in a drawing office, as it makes no "design" sense.

The central "O" in the 6 should be an ellipse, rather than a circle, and similarly with the 9. The central extension on the "3" should be straight, not curved, and the "2" is wild wrong. From a font design POV, , it's rubbish, but that's why we don't use a font off the web - all our stuff has custom letters and numbers, like the above. CIE are going to keep me busy til I get into a pine box... 

Very grateful for this. 

Richie. 

• Like 2

34 minutes ago, Glenderg said:

This extends further @jhb171achill, I've seen this oddball font later on, and I suspect it was done by some chap in a drawing office, as it makes no "design" sense.

The central "O" in the 6 should be an ellipse, rather than a circle, and similarly with the 9. The central extension on the "3" should be straight, not curved, and the "2" is wild wrong. From a font design POV, , it's rubbish, but that's why we don't use a font off the web - all our stuff has custom letters and numbers, like the above. CIE are going to keep me busy til I get into a pine box... 

Very grateful for this. 

Richie. 

On a lot of the motorway signs near me, the 8s are often upside down, as (not very clearly) seen here - https://www.google.co.uk/maps/@52.6981227,-2.1048587,3a,17.8y,358.6h,90.68t/data=!3m6!1e1!3m4!1smqB2k9PyYAA5hg158CqrJQ!2e0!7i13312!8i6656 - with the 'big' part at the top - this prompted a local musician friend to pen a song about this one, his favourite sign, which meant that he was nearly back home again after yet another gig.

• Like 1

Looks ancestral to the 'wild west wanted poster' white on maroon early NIR typeface somehow, a font family known as French Clarendon apparently (those 7s seem to appear in French cursive handwriting).

Anyone any idea what the NCC, UTA, NIR typefaces actually were?

Edited by NIR