Jump to content

Rate this topic

Recommended Posts

Seen a copy of June 1985 come up for sale. Picture of an 071 with brand-new Mk3s, would I be right in assuming there's a feature on them in the issue?

 

Grateful for any confirmation provided. Regards, Ben :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Ben,

Sorry, no article on Mark 3's in this issue, vol 15, no. 97, I will look for an article and let you know.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, seagoebox said:

Ben,

Sorry, no article on Mark 3's in this issue, vol 15, no. 97, I will look for an article and let you know.

 

Thank you for confirming, I'd be very grateful if you had a look thanks.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is a clustering of reference to MK3s in Vol16 pp. 360-364 but I am not sure if that article is specifically about that MK3 coaches. The June 1985 is a nice cover with the Mk3s in the ST livery and the 071 in original (incorrect, as delivered) color and incorrect CIE roundel 🥰  

Edited by DiveController
  • Informative 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 minutes ago, DiveController said:

There is a clustering of reference to MK3s in Vol16 pp. 360-364 but I am not sure if that article is specifically about that MK3 coaches. The June 1985 is a nice cover with the Mk3s in the ST livery and the 071 in original (incorrect, as delivered) color and incorrect CIE roundel 🥰  

Hi DiveController, which issue (month/year) does Vol. 16 pp. 360-364 correspond to? Thanks

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Volume 16 starts as N0. 99 Feb 1986 thru No 107 October 1988 so maybe No 104 or something. Someone associated with the IRRS might be able to help @leslie10646 or if a member has these volumes (unfortunately, I do not), maybe somone would have a quick flick through and see if there's an article in there that would interest you

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
17 minutes ago, DiveController said:

Volume 16 starts as N0. 99 Feb 1986 thru No 107 October 1988 so maybe No 104 or something. Someone associated with the IRRS might be able to help @leslie10646 or if a member has these volumes (unfortunately, I do not), maybe somone would have a quick flick through and see if there's an article in there that would interest you

Thank you for your help, much appreciated.

If there was something in No. 104 October 1987, that would be ideal as that is also obtainable. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
11 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

If I get a chance I’ll look up 1976/7 issues.

Off to Malahide today.....

 

Appreciate the kind offer jhb, but you needn't go to any trouble. I took the plunge and decided to get them anyway, there's bound to be other interesting snippets anyway even if there isn't precisely the content I'm looking for ;)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I've had a quick look through the JOurnal Index and no article has come to light on the Mark 3s.

There will be references to them in the News sections of Journals, but I haven't come across an article on these coaches. PLenty on OLD coaches - like pre-1960!

As you say, young man, there are usually "interesting snippets" in the JOurnal, no matter what era is your thing.

Dare I say it - why not join and go along to a library night - as far as I know, you can then reference the full set.

Good luck with your research.

Leslie (IRRS LOndon)

  • Informative 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I would echo echo echo echo echo

.... what Leslie says. 
 

Documentary stuff is easily accessible in IRRS towers at the old goods office in Heuston.

(I recall watching an E shoving a corrugated open truck off the end of a siding just outside the building - where the car park is now - about 1974....)

Ooooops!

 

(Maybe the driver had been in Ned Rea’s - anyone remember it?)

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Journals Nos. 94 (June 1984) and 95 (October 1984) contain the news items covering the spec and delivery of the BREL Mk3 stock. They aren't, as Leslie indicates, dedicated articles, but they nonetheless give a useful and brief overview of the stock and their introduction to traffic. Incidentally the latest Journal (No. 200) has a short article on the Mk3s operating a 100mph trial train in 1984 prior to the stock commencing regular services. Hope this may be of use.

Edited by Eiretrains
journal corrections
  • Informative 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 1/21/2020 at 11:08 PM, leslie10646 said:

I've had a quick look through the JOurnal Index and no article has come to light on the Mark 3s.

There will be references to them in the News sections of Journals, but I haven't come across an article on these coaches. PLenty on OLD coaches - like pre-1960!

As you say, young man, there are usually "interesting snippets" in the JOurnal, no matter what era is your thing.

Dare I say it - why not join and go along to a library night - as far as I know, you can then reference the full set.

Good luck with your research.

Leslie (IRRS LOndon)

 

Thanks anyway, there's something for the June 2024 issue! ;)

It's a bit far, though I've been saying for years I must visit Dublin, my great-grandfather came from the city.

 

23 hours ago, jhb171achill said:

I would echo echo echo echo echo

.... what Leslie says. 
 

Documentary stuff is easily accessible in IRRS towers at the old goods office in Heuston.

(I recall watching an E shoving a corrugated open truck off the end of a siding just outside the building - where the car park is now - about 1974....)

Ooooops!

 

(Maybe the driver had been in Ned Rea’s - anyone remember it?)

Cheers.

 

11 minutes ago, Eiretrains said:

Journals Nos. 194 (June 1984) and 195 (October 1985) contain the news items covering the spec and delivery of the BREL Mk3 stock. They aren't, as Leslie indicates, dedicated articles, but they nonetheless give a useful and brief overview of the stock and their introduction to traffic. Incidentally the latest Journal (No. 200) has a short article on the Mk3s operating a 100mph trial train in 1984 prior to the stock commencing regular services. Hope this may be of use.

 

Brilliant! That's exactly the info I wanted. 

 

I have October 1985 in the job lot I purchased, sadly not June 1984.

 

 

As an aside, I know the IRRS website states one can obtain back issues for reasonable cost, but does anyone know how you actually go about doing that on their website or am I missing something?

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
52 minutes ago, hexagon789 said:

I have October 1985 in the job lot I purchased, sadly not June 1984. As an aside, I know the IRRS website states one can obtain back issues for reasonable cost, but does anyone know how you actually go about doing that on their website or am I missing something?

Sorry Ben(!), corrections it's actually Journals 94 and 95 (the June and October 1984 issues of course). I would recommend emailing membership@irrs.ie, which is normally where IRRS journal queries are generally addressed to. Hope this helps.

  • Thanks 1
  • Informative 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Eiretrains said:

Sorry Ben(!), corrections it's actually Journals 94 and 95 (the June and October 1984 issues of course). I would recommend emailing membership@irrs.ie, which is normally where IRRS journal queries are generally addressed to. Hope this helps.

That's alright, don't worry about it! ;)

I appreciate the help everyone has given. I've sent an e-mail to the address above and hopefully I'll be able to obtain the 3 issues I'm looking for.

 

If nothing else I know precisely which issues I want now which is a big help in itself :)

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Thanks everyone again for your help, my first tranche of journals arrived so it's just left to see about the other ones from the IRRS and then, hopefully (!), my researches will be complete! 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

As an aside, I know the IRRS website states one can obtain back issues for reasonable cost, but does anyone know how you actually go about doing that on their website or am I missing something?

For  fairly recent Journals,  you could go along to a Dublin "Library Night" and talk to one of the guys, who should be able to point you in the right direction.

For earlier Journals, The Syndicate (the Irish preservation fund raising vehicle set up by the late Lance King and now continued by Robin Linsley and I) have some Journals for sale right back to the 1950s. If any of you has a specific want, send me a PM. Expect to pay at least a fiver (Sterling), but we do discount for volume.  If Dublin is "out of reach", I'll put you in touch with the right person.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 hours ago, leslie10646 said:

As an aside, I know the IRRS website states one can obtain back issues for reasonable cost, but does anyone know how you actually go about doing that on their website or am I missing something?

For  fairly recent Journals,  you could go along to a Dublin "Library Night" and talk to one of the guys, who should be able to point you in the right direction.

For earlier Journals, The Syndicate (the Irish preservation fund raising vehicle set up by the late Lance King and now continued by Robin Linsley and I) have some Journals for sale right back to the 1950s. If any of you has a specific want, send me a PM. Expect to pay at least a fiver (Sterling), but we do discount for volume.  If Dublin is "out of reach", I'll put you in touch with the right person.

 

 

Thanks for the offer, but I managed to get in touch with the IRRS to obtain the 5 journals I wanted.

Typically, after I obtained the selection of Feb 1985-Oct 2003; a full collection of 1970-1990 appeared for sale! Though rather dearer.

Thankfully after these 5, that should be it really, the only other ones I'd ever likely want are those from 1972-73 detailing the Mk2d introduction to service, but I think I'll concentrate on the Mk3s for the time being still!

The wealth of information I've read so far, and much not pertaining to Mk3s at all, has been interesting, illuminating and has answered many questions, the remainder should be answered when I obtain the other journals.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well these arrived today, less than 24 hours after posting:

20200213_162100-1.thumb.jpg.9fe864866a2559b25ce9882f7f4a2a78.jpg

Couldn't be more pleased, not only do the earlier ones answer all my remaining Mk III questions, but otherwise solves the 'riddle' of 7140 among other things.

The 100mph test run article is also fascinating to some like myself, what would people pay to be on a 100mph+ tour with a 071 I wonder! ;)

So thanks, to the person who suggested no. 200 for that article.

I plan to summarise my findings in one of my previous threads in due courese for those who are interested and as a thank you for all your help, as it seems the least I can do.

 

Mysteries solved, Mk III quest over.

 

  • Like 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Yeah, I really enjoyed reading the 100mph 071 test run myself, and the fact the 071 still had bit of power left in reserve from what I recall and the driver throttled back to keep it under 105 or there abouts. 

The Mk3A International was rated out to 110mph, I assume that was done with a 201 before the electronic speed limiters were introduced or maybe isolated for the run.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, Railer said:

Yeah, I really enjoyed reading the 100mph 071 test run myself, and the fact the 071 still had bit of power left in reserve from what I recall and the driver throttled back to keep it under 105 or there abouts. 

The Mk3A International was rated out to 110mph, I assume that was done with a 201 before the electronic speed limiters were introduced or maybe isolated for the run.

The article also explains why I've seen a few references to 071s not being able to attain 90mph, the nominal maximum being 89mph from the gearing which would mean on worn wheels you'd never quite make 90 on the level, but on new wheels you'd go quite a bit over.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
7 hours ago, enniscorthyman said:

The October 1988 journal has a brief account on the MK3 push pulls,if that's any use.

 

Thanks @enniscorthyman, but I've got that issue (indeed I now have 1984-2003 inclusive). Appreciate the heads-up though.

It was interesting to see proper plans of the internal layouts of the push-pull Mk IIIs as well as why there were only 19 intermediates rather than 25 which I'd wondered about.

Enough for three 6-car and two 3-car sets as opposed to five 6-cars.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.


×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

Terms of Use